Sign in to follow this  
Comanche

FMC Route Question

I am in the process of learning how to program an FMC. I am a GA flyer, mostly, but the IGEX 737, has me hooked. Ive made some good progress and I can now enter a plan, fly it and it all works just fine. However, I have a question...

Ive been using the online flight planner to create a plan. http://onlineflightplanner.org/

I use this site a lot with GA planes and just  copied the downloaded flight plan into the X-plane /Data folder and load it up into the default GPS. Is there a way to do this with the IGEX FMC?  So far, Ive been using this site to generate a PDF of the plan, printing it and manually adding in all the way points by hand, which takes some time to do. I was wondering if there is an easier way to do it, even if its not the way its done in real life, I'm OK with that.

I generate a plan for FS2004 to use with Radar contact and then the PDF to manually enter the way points. Im thinking there might be an easier way.

Rob

The IXEG Interface Guide in the documentation covers the details, but to recap: You need to create a simple text file with the route and save it with *.fpl as the extension.

The file only consists of one line with your route, including the departure and arrival airports, but no SIDs or STARs, those can be added in the FMC after the import. You need to account for directs with a DCT between waypoints, but this is NOT needed for the first and last direct from/to your departure or destination airport.

This is what a valid FPL could look like: EDDF MARUN Y150 TOLGI DCT DLE UP605 NOLGO EDDH

Most flight planners (and skyvector) will provide a similar line which you can just copy and paste.

• Upvote 1

I am in the process of learning how to program an FMC. I am a GA flyer, mostly, but the IGEX 737, has me hooked. Ive made some good progress and I can now enter a plan, fly it and it all works just fine. However, I have a question...

Ive been using the online flight planner to create a plan. http://onlineflightplanner.org/

I use this site a lot with GA planes and just  copied the downloaded flight plan into the X-plane /Data folder and load it up into the default GPS. Is there a way to do this with the IGEX FMC?  So far, Ive been using this site to generate a PDF of the plan, printing it and manually adding in all the way points by hand, which takes some time to do. I was wondering if there is an easier way to do it, even if its not the way its done in real life, I'm OK with that.

I generate a plan for FS2004 to use with Radar contact and then the PDF to manually enter the way points. Im thinking there might be an easier way.

Rob

Hi Rob,

You can also visit fligthaware.com, find the flight finder page and  type in the origin and destination airports. Choose a flight from those available and copy the route.