Sign in to follow this  
TheFlightSimGuy

Move over GTX1080! There is a new Titan X in town!

Talk about horsepower! But unfortunately we know how little this will probably mean to flight simmers. Especially for the MSRP of $1200. Hopefully, this is a preview of performance to come from the 1080ti. Feel bad for those who jumped on the 1080 too soon. 

From TomsHardware: On July 21, Nvidia’s Founder and CEO, Jen-Hsun Huang attended an artificial intelligence meet-up at Stanford University, where he revealed the new world’s fastest GPU—and it has a familiar name. The old Titan X is dead, long live the Titan X.

Nvidia said the new Titan X came to be as the result of a bet between Brian Kelleher, Nvidia’s top hardware engineer, and Huang. According to the story, Huang didn’t believe that Kelleher could squeeze 10 TFLOPS out of a single GPU. Kelleher, however, managed to do just that. The new Titan X is a beast of GPU with 3584 CUDA cores (over 500 more than the previous Titan X) operating at 1530MHz. According to Nvidia, the Pascal Titan X is the biggest GPU ever built, and it is 60 percent faster than the previous-gen Titan X. 

More info here: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/10series/titan-x-pascal

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

Will this be faster ( more FPS) than my 3dfx Voodoo card when running FS95?

• Upvote 1

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Old news Josh!  But it's certainly going to allow dubious re-sellers an opportunity to clear out their old Titan X's stock pretending they're the new Titan X's by omitting the specifications ... they really should have named it differently regardless of specification list ... just think of all the "benchmark" reviewers ... the Titan X vs Titan X oh wait Old Titan X vs. New Titan X.

I'm on the list for a couple, but no nVidia insider this time so probably will not be able to get one (in Stock) until Oct or later. 

I have two Titan X's for sale :)

Cheers, Rob.

Old news Josh!  

Old news? Nvidia just announced it a couple of hours before I shared it.  :blink:

Josh Daniels-Johannson

Eh. I might grab one if it seems worth it. No worries, I have plenty of drooling teenagers in the family who would love my 1080.

That's how it always works. Somebody in the family gets my old card and everyone moves up a step.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Talk about horsepower! But unfortunately we know how little this will probably mean to flight simmers. Especially for the MSRP of $1200. Hopefully, this is a preview of performance to come from the 1080ti. Feel bad for those who jumped on the 1080 too soon. 

From TomsHardware: On July 21, Nvidia’s Founder and CEO, Jen-Hsun Huang attended an artificial intelligence meet-up at Stanford University, where he revealed the new world’s fastest GPU—and it has a familiar name. The old Titan X is dead, long live the Titan X.

Nvidia said the new Titan X came to be as the result of a bet between Brian Kelleher, Nvidia’s top hardware engineer, and Huang. According to the story, Huang didn’t believe that Kelleher could squeeze 10 TFLOPS out of a single GPU. Kelleher, however, managed to do just that. The new Titan X is a beast of GPU with 3584 CUDA cores (over 500 more than the previous Titan X) operating at 1530MHz. According to Nvidia, the Pascal Titan X is the biggest GPU ever built, and it is 60 percent faster than the previous-gen Titan X. 

More info here: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/10series/titan-x-pascal

Yeppers...the 'ultimate' for four-six months....   don't we all now know the drill....

Eh. I might grab one if it seems worth it. No worries, I have plenty of drooling teenagers in the family who would love my 1080.

That's how it always works. Somebody in the family gets my old card and everyone moves up a step.

Sounds like my house. Are you me? Except mine are grown ups.

• Upvote 1

Old news Josh!  But it's certainly going to allow dubious re-sellers an opportunity to clear out their old Titan X's stock pretending they're the new Titan X's by omitting the specifications ...

That was also my first thought. Nice opportunity for some bad guys to try selling their "old" Titan X via online platforms simply not giving more specifications and sadly there will be people buying it thinking they get a "new" Titan X. Don't really understand why nVidia was thinking that using the same name again would be a good thing to do...

Personally, I am a little bit disappointed that the new Titan X comes without HBM2 but GDDR5X instead. I was looking forward to a GTX-1080Ti replacing my 980Ti by the end of this year offering HBM2, but now I think this will not happen. I even think that this Titan X is basically the supposed to be 1080Ti, as I expected from a "real" Titan to have at least doubled the amount of RAM compared to the x80 card. Probably in Spring 2017, there will be another high-end card with the Pascal chip plus 8-16GB HBM2 coming as a "Titan Y" for about 2000$, I would not be surprised...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Probably typical of family's with imbedded techies.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

So the benchmarks are out. 29% faster than a 1080 at a 70% price premium. 

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-titan-x-12gb,4700.html

I would think of it cumulatively, with a 1080 being a few steps above a 980ti and a 1080-Titan being a few steps further still.

Devons rig

here's a review 

Cesar Martinez

Current system specs 

Amd 7800x3D MPG B650I EDGE WIFI  CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB DDR5

Alienware 34 aw3418dw at 120Hz 3440x1440 ultra wide

Asrock RX7900XT 2x 2gb GB ssd drives 1 GB western digital  nvme. windows 11.

here's a review 

Just watched that myself. It is most impressive that in some cases, it overclocks higher than many of the 1080's!

EKWB just announced their new waterblocks for this thing, so the two of them paired could be a remarkable combination. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

EKWB just announced their new waterblocks for this thing, so the two of them paired could be a remarkable combination. 

Excellent news about EK ... but as I suspected ... out of stock, out of stock, out of stock, out of stock ... I guess many kids were sold recently.

Cheers, Rob.

Just watched that myself. It is most impressive that in some cases, it overclocks higher than many of the 1080's!

Should be great everything looks good wonder if that famous ti model pops up next year lol its never ending.

Excellent news about EK ... but as I suspected ... out of stock, out of stock, out of stock, out of stock ... I guess many kids were sold recently.

Cheers, Rob.

Lol Rob its insane the stock levels.

Cesar Martinez

Current system specs 

Amd 7800x3D MPG B650I EDGE WIFI  CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB DDR5

Alienware 34 aw3418dw at 120Hz 3440x1440 ultra wide

Asrock RX7900XT 2x 2gb GB ssd drives 1 GB western digital  nvme. windows 11.