Sign in to follow this  
TheFlightSimGuy

Move over GTX1080! There is a new Titan X in town!

So the benchmarks are out. 29% faster than a 1080 at a 70% price premium. 

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-titan-x-12gb,4700.html

And that's why I don't fell sorry for those who bought the 1080.

The 1070/1080 are the best (in terms of price / power ratio) gaming cards at the moment. With the 1070 offering a better bang for the buck then the 1080.

The 1070/1080 are the best (in terms of price / power ratio) gaming cards at the moment. With the 1070 offering a better bang for the buck then the 1080.

Yah, but then my 1080 just barely lets me max out (mostly) X-plane-x. If I had gotton a 1070 I would even now probably be stewing and wondering why I hadn't gone for the 1080.

Getting the Titan on the other hand..... that would be sheer, unashamed tech-lust and bang for the buck would have only a tiny bit to do with that.

The problem is that while modern games would get an immediate monstrous benefit from the new Titan, Flight Sims.........

Not so much.

Fortunately, I'm also an unashamed gamer. :smile:

• Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

And this will impact on the performance of our ten years old graphic engines for about how much? 5 FPS? 8 more FPS? Great deal!

And this will impact on the performance of our ten years old graphic engines for about how much? 5 FPS? 8 more FPS? Great deal!

You are right. P3D will not profit much from a better GPU.

So if one only flies in P3D a new GPU is wasted money.

But i am flying in 4K and i see my GPU constantly at 100% in Afterburner and GPU Tweak II.

So I guess I will gain some FPS.

But the bigger boost will appear in games like Doom, Dying Light, Fallout... As I am not only a "simmer" but also a "gamer", the 1080 is the way to go for me.

And like HiFlyer said: The Performance overkill would be the Titan X, especially with custom bios mods and watercooling like available for the old Titan. This will then be the killercard! But the pricetag.... well.... a little high.

Fortunately, I'm also an unashamed gamer. :smile:

So am I  :smile:

You are right. P3D will not profit much from a better GPU.

So if one only flies in P3D a new GPU is wasted money.

But i am flying in 4K and i see my GPU constantly at 100% in Afterburner and GPU Tweak II.

I think that upgrading our GPUs may make sense in view of the future sim technology. AeroFly FS 2 and DCS already offer full and native support for VR. So will probably P3D 4 and DTG FS (not immediately, though, if we believe to what Martin wrote here months ago, but possibly in some future edition). Unquestionably 3D and VR are the future of flight simulation and this technology is very GPU-demanding. 

In view of the current sim technology, read FSX, FSX-SE or P3D 3.x, however, I don't think it makes much sense to upgrade. If past is any indication, benefits will be very low compared to the price.

I agree with those saying this is overkill for ESP-based flight sims (P3D, FSX/SE).  That's why my FS rig only has a 1070 in it.  My gaming machine gets the Titan X :spiteful:   Waterblocks aren't out yet so I just have it on the stock air cooler for now, but it's a perfect match for a 4k screen and I don't have to mess with SLI.  Happy days!

Titan SLI review. Warning, these guys are kind of annoying.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Hey, Jerry isn't annoying  :mad:  The other guy though...

Ok, Barnacules is a little annoying, but he's just playing the "jolly fat nerd" stereotype due to body image issues. If you watch the guy's Youtube channel he's been open about this in the past, he actually is a really smart, very nice person who does make generally interesting and entertaining content.  

Just got the information that my card is on the last step of delivery! Kind of makes my day very bright even though it's all rainy and cloudy in Munich.

The perfect overcast scenario to make some tests ;-)

Just got the information that my card is on the last step of delivery! Kind of makes my day very bright even though it's all rainy and cloudy in Munich.

The perfect overcast scenario to make some tests ;-)

As Arnold said in Pumping Iron... "It's better than... " Oops, better not post that. Lets just say that when a new graphics card arrives, or better still, the bits for an entire PC, then busty blondes, sexy super models and even a nice meal at Nando's takes second place!!!

Forget world peace, or fixing anthropogenic climate change... a new graphics card is way better!!! 

As Arnold said in Pumping Iron... "It's better than... " Oops, better not post that. Lets just say that when a new graphics card arrives, or better still, the bits for an entire PC, then busty blondes, sexy super models and even a nice meal at Nando's takes second place!!!

Forget world peace, or fixing anthropogenic climate change... a new graphics card is way better!!! 

You are right, as always ;-)

Will post some results today in the afternoon. Can't wait to get home form work.

Ok, so here are the results, I already wrote it in the other thread:

Ok. I just installed this card:

https://www.alternate.de/ASUS/GeForce-GTX-1080-STRIX-AURA-GAMING-Grafikkarte/html/product/1287252

And I am BLASTED!!!!!!!

Came from an Asus Strix GTX 970....

I did the following test:

AS16 in Historic mode: 3. June 16 17:00UTC (cloudy day) at EDDM Gate 201 in the PMDG 777-300.

Test:

Looking around the ground without having sky in the frame:

Before: ~50 FPS     After: ~60 FPS

VC (panning around)

Before: 25 - 32 fps   After: 45 - 55 FPS (!!!)

Looking at the cloudy sky:

Before: ~30 FPS      After: 45-55 FPS (!!!)

That is way more then I expected!

I did not overclock the card. Standard settings. I reach around 17.900 Points in 3DMark Fire Strike.

Awesome :-)

:smile:  Great news Stefan!

My daughter has her sights on my EVGA 980 Ti Classified... so hopefully if my son and daughter give me some dosh for Christmas I might grab one myself.

Snip

Thanks for sharing your results, though I must point out this is the Titan X thread and the card you have is not a Titan X.

New titan X will smoke anything on the planet - wish I had one - Robs buying two of them wow  :dance:

Rich Sennett