Sign in to follow this  
Bill Alderson

New to Prepar3d and some Questions

I finally took the plunge and moved up (I hope) from FSX to Prepar3d v3 yesterday and I have a few questions.

First: What is the migration tool supposed  to do?  I purchased a copy and read the manual and I'm still confused about what it actually does.

Second: I have a Saitek throttle quadrant and, for some reason, P3d seems to see it as some kind of steering device and I can't get it work.  Works just fine in FSX.

Third:  I have a lot of Orbx scenery in FSX.  Is it necessary to reinstall the whole thing (global, vectors, airports, etc.) in P3D?  Or, is that something the migration tool is supposed to help with?

Bill Alderson

Migration tool allows you to install programs not designed for P3D 3.x. Some don't like it but I've never had a problem. Example - Carenado PC12 which is still P3D 2.

I'd redownload the ORBX installers and instal as normal.

Enjoy.

UK P3DV5 and Xplane 11 Simmer
PilotEdge I11, CAT11, A-Z (ZLA), A-Z (WUS)

System details: Gigabyte P57v7 CF2 17.3" laptop. Kaby Lake i7 7700HQ CPU (averaging 3.4mhz). NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8mb (laptop version), 16 GB of DDR4-2400 RAM, SSD - Samsung 970 Evo  500GB M.2 NVMe, 1TB HDD 7200.

Migration tool allows you to install programs not designed for P3D 3.x. Some don't like it but I've never had a problem. Example - Carenado PC12 which is still P3D 2.

I'd redownload the ORBX installers and instal as normal.

Enjoy.

Hehe...yeah, I'm downloading the new Orbx installers for P3D v3 now.  At this rate, I should have it all installed about next January or so. ;)

Bill Alderson

If you are unfamiliar with the migration tool - it might be better to leave it alone. Stay with products designed to be installed in P3D.

Most scenery items need to be installed into P3D using the dedicated P3D installers.

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Hehe...yeah, I'm downloading the new Orbx installers for P3D v3 now.  At this rate, I should have it all installed about next January or so. ;)

If your download speed is slow: don't download it using FTX Central. Go to Fullterrain.com and pick any but the first link, that us usually way faster.

Peter

• Upvote 1

If you have the original installers from before you won't need to download them again. Just reinstall all your Orbx scenery and make sure to select P3D instead of FSX.

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

I personally am afraid of the migration tool. I've seen too many posts with problems traced to that tool that remain even after it is removed.  It is very easy to add the AppPath or SetupPath value to the P3Dv2 key in the registry to point to v3 using regedit, then clear the values when not needed.  This is my preference, and not recommended for anyone not familiar with the registry or regedit.

If you have the original installers from before you won't need to download them again. Just reinstall all your Orbx scenery and make sure to select P3D instead of FSX.

Depends, older Orbx installers didn't recognize P3Dv3, only v2.

Dan Downs KCRP

I have a Saitek throttle quadrant and, for some reason, P3d seems to see it as some kind of steering device and I can't get it work.

I have two Saitek Throttle quadrants (soon to be replaced by Virtual-Fly TQ6) and they both work fine in P3D.  You will most likely need to assign or remove assignments for those via P3D menu - Settings | Controls ... this process is similar to FSX but you will also need to do an extra step and make sure you calibrate the devices (after assigning the axes to your desire action) ... this is all done in P3D (P3D Learning center has info on this).

I would recommend getting P3D working well using products designed for P3D V3.x before you do anything with the migration tool.  For the most part the migration tool does this:

1.  Adds/changes registry entries that deal with install paths to fake out the installer to point to your P3D path rather than FSX path

2.  Creates fake FS9/FSX exe's in the root of your P3D

3.  Copies DLL.XML and/or EXE.XML entries that might be place in FSX that need to go into P3D location

4.  Adjusts some .cfg (like SimObjects.cfg) files to ensure they have the necessary entries

5.  Other misc tasks

Most vendors will provide NO SUPPORT for FSX products being used in P3D V3.x.

For Orbx, just download all the latest versions from your account with Orbx and install ... the installer will have an option to select P3D V3.x.

Cheers, Rob.

Nah...need to download the scenery all over again for v3.  I was hoping to be able to do what you suggested but...... :wink:

I personally am afraid of the migration tool. I've seen too many posts with problems traced to that tool that remain even after it is removed.  It is very easy to add the AppPath or SetupPath value to the P3Dv2 key in the registry to point to v3 using regedit, then clear the values when not needed.  This is my preference, and not recommended for anyone not familiar with the registry or regedit.

Depends, older Orbx installers didn't recognize P3Dv3, only v2.

Oh well....  :wink:

I have two Saitek Throttle quadrants (soon to be replaced by Virtual-Fly TQ6) and they both work fine in P3D.  You will most likely need to assign or remove assignments for those via P3D menu - Settings | Controls ... this process is similar to FSX but you will also need to do an extra step and make sure you calibrate the devices (after assigning the axes to your desire action) ... this is all done in P3D (P3D Learning center has info on this).

I would recommend getting P3D working well using products designed for P3D V3.x before you do anything with the migration tool.  For the most part the migration tool does this:

1.  Adds/changes registry entries that deal with install paths to fake out the installer to point to your P3D path rather than FSX path

2.  Creates fake FS9/FSX exe's in the root of your P3D

3.  Copies DLL.XML and/or EXE.XML entries that might be place in FSX that need to go into P3D location

4.  Adjusts some .cfg (like SimObjects.cfg) files to ensure they have the necessary entries

5.  Other misc tasks

Most vendors will provide NO SUPPORT for FSX products being used in P3D V3.x.

For Orbx, just download all the latest versions from your account with Orbx and install ... the installer will have an option to select P3D V3.x.

Cheers, Rob.

I'm beginning to wonder if P3D is worth all the trouble. :wink:  Thanks though. 

Bill Alderson

I'm beginning to wonder if P3D is worth all the trouble.

Oh my goodness yes! I mean there's been days where I grumbled a lot at the dog, but when I have to open FSX to test something I am stunned at how bad it looks now.

Dan Downs KCRP

Nah...need to download the scenery all over again for v3.  I was hoping to be able to do what you suggested but...... :wink:

Oh well....  :wink:

I'm beginning to wonder if P3D is worth all the trouble. :wink:  Thanks though. 

Most certainly YES!

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I'm beginning to wonder if P3D is worth all the trouble.

I wondered the same when I moved from FS9 to FSX and back then there were far fewer add-ons and they were less feature rich/involved.  P3D is as much as you want to get yourself into, it can be a very trouble free experience if you don't try force a cube into a round hole :)

Cheers, Rob.

I have never looked back since switching even though I can't use 2 of my favorite aircraft , PMDG MD11 and Leo Maddog. The newest version of V3 plus AS16 & ASCA have made my sim the best it has ever been in my decades of simming.

Richie Walsh

Oh my goodness yes! I mean there's been days where I grumbled a lot at the dog, but when I have to open FSX to test something I am stunned at how bad it looks now.

Most certainly YES!

Vic

I wondered the same when I moved from FS9 to FSX and back then there were far fewer add-ons and they were less feature rich/involved.  P3D is as much as you want to get yourself into, it can be a very trouble free experience if you don't try force a cube into a round hole :)

Cheers, Rob.

I have never looked back since switching even though I can't use 2 of my favorite aircraft , PMDG MD11 and Leo Maddog. The newest version of V3 plus AS16 & ASCA have made my sim the best it has ever been in my decades of simming.

Thanks guys.  I'm committed now anyway so onward and upward!  :wink:   Finished downloading all my Orbx scenery late last night and will be installing tonight.  Hope to get into the air tomorrow if I can get my throttle to work.

Geez...I've been a flightsimmer for over 30 years; you'd think I would have gotten the hang of it by now eh?  :wink:

Thanks again fellas.

Bill Alderson