Sign in to follow this  
klamal

Multiple legs, Payware aircraft/scenery and VAS

So for the longest time(probably some 15 years at least), I have always rebooted my pc in between each and every flight that I do to avoid any issues.  In the past, this was to avoid issues with Windows resources/performance.  Then, since FSX, to save/recover VAS as Windows 7 has gotten better than MS previous OSes with managing its own resources.

But, now, with P3Dv3, I'm really questioning if I should continue this practice.  I've already done multiple legs without reboots in non-complex or low VAS demanding aircraft and default scenery with no noticeable issues.  I'm curious to know others experience though with doing this in say the PMDG NGX and each leg containing 3rd party scenery and/or Orbx regions.  Have you had an increase in OOMs?  How many legs have you accomplished without rebooting and what payware were you running during these multiple leg flights?

Basically, the scenario for me would be the NGX, AS16, Orbx(Global and regions), Pro ATC-X/Vatsim, and any payware airport sceneries that exist for any of the airports I'd fly through in the US/EU with a 737(I have a lot of them - FlyTampa, FSDT, Flightbeam, Aerosoft, etc) and doing say an 8-10 hour day without ever shutting down.  Possible?

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

I never found a need to reboot the computer, even with Vista and FSX. On occasion, I may not reboot my computer for a week or more. However, with PMDG aircraft it is important to shut down and restart FSX/P3D.  With every update to P3D, I try to fly end to end segments with the NGX and for one reason or another it ends with a crash or odd behavior. It seems that for PMDG at least, you only get one flight per session.  What I do is save the flight to a scenario name I repeatedly use ("_ENR 738" for example, the underscore is to put it at top of alphanumerically sorted list), exit P3D.  Wait a minute for P3D complete exit, then restart P3D and load my _ENR scenario. No need to exit AS16. This cycle only takes a few minutes and I am guaranteed an uneventful second and subsequent segment. This is how I like to fly my SWA B737/738s.

Dan Downs KCRP

The only time I reboot now is if I'm flying any Orbx scenery...  I like their scenery but it still eats VAS.  Especially SoCal!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I never shut down and reboot the computer unless it's after installing very large scenery packages.

And when flying multiple legs with the NGX or T7 I wouldn't even shut down FSX and never had an OOM issue.

Full discourse through, I don't run any texture sets over 1024 or use copious amounts of photoscenery all activate at one time. When i mention texture sets, that doesn't mean lowering the TML in the cfg to 1024, but rather making sure all textures in the sim for scenery, clouds, water, aircraft are not physically over 1024 x1024 and are in DTX format of possible.

Still have yet to experience the common dreaded OOM in 8 years.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator