Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Aerofly FS 2 major update with VR and LNAV/VNAV support

JULY 22 - IPACS AEROFLY

Dear Aerofly users, 

we have just published a major update into the Beta channel of Steam. Since we made lots of changes, we will leave it in Beta for now, until we have had enough feedback from you. 

To check out the Beta version of Aerofly FS 2 do the following 

• Right click on Aerofly FS 2 in your Steam Library and choose 'Properties' 
  • From the properties window select the tab titled "Betas". From this page select the applicable beta from the drop-down menu. If you've previously opted into a beta you can opt out by selecting the menu option.

Here is a list of changes: 

• Preliminary support for Oculus Rift and HTC Vive. Please note, this is a very early implementation. Also keep in mind to use a very fast 3D graphic card. 
  • Added buttons to show/hide navaids, airports and waypoints on map in location and navigation menu 
  • Added button to position airplane at start of route in location and navigation menu 
  • Added button to center map on aircraft position 
  • Added button to center map on route 
  • Added current route is displayed on location menu map 
  • Added aircraft equipped with LNAV/VNAV can fly the planned route automatically 
  • Added cockpit navigation displays show route and waypoints and time and distance to next waypoint 
  • Added PFDs show tuned ILS identifier, course and distance 
  • Added autotuning: airliners automatically tune navaids from route, nearby navaids and destination ILS 
  • Fixed route shows magnetic track instead of true track 
  • Added new repaints for F-18, Pitts 
  • Fixed bump mapping on P-38 
  • Fixed rudder assist / autorudder turned off 
  • Added right mouse button to pull knobs in cockpit 
  • Added navigation guides for route (enable/disable with approach guides) 
  • Fixed auto spoiler retract when applying full throttle in all aircraft 
  • Added A320 ECAM pages: engines, electrics, hydraulics, fuel, wheels, flight controls (other pages are not completed yet) 
  • Added A320 automatic ECAM switching and manual page request and page iteration 
  • Work in progress A320 electric and fuel system (closing fuel valves has no effect yet) 
  • Added C172 full electical bus system including battery and alternator simulation 
  • Added C172 radios and navigation instruments can be switched off (and on) 
  • Added C172 turning off the master battery switch will kill all electrics and set the cockpit into a dark state 
  • Work in progress C172 fuel system (closing fuel valves has no effect yet) 
  • Fixed minor bugs on aircraft (landing gear cutting through doors, hidden objects, ...) 
  • Added C172 added waypoints and route display to the moving map display in the cockpit 
  • Added Baron58 electical system, radio stack can be turned off

• Upvote 1

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi,

Thanks for the link...I feel I'm about to plunge ! Arrrrghhh :Thinking:

Regards,

Richard Portier

I'd say it is actually getting new features and tuning so fast that, I can't really believe this much has already been done in such a short period of time since release.

I have Aerofly FS 2 together with MS FLIGHT in my Steam account. Those are just about the two games I own in Steam, but they're also my two preferred sims ever, together with Flight Unlimited 3.

In as far as flight dynamics modeling goes I believe I've finally found something better than the best I have at the top of my list - il-2 Battle of Stalingrad - as was "forced" to use due to the lack of realistic feel on the other civil sims, and ahead of DCS imo. 

Aerofly has a good history of products in the R/C simulation area, and most of my R/C friends use it at home. I was never interested in R/C simulation, which appears as a 2nd order distraction from reality.. a simulation of the simulation :-)  

I did buy and really liked Aerofly FS1, but the features and flying area were rather limited, and contrarily to what is happening with FS2, it didn't progress much from the original release, apart from some excellent add-on aircraft designed by Jet-Pack.

I am putting great hope on the future of this sim, but above all simply enjoying what is already available is more than enough for me, specially taken into consideration it is pre-release, so, anything that get's added is yet another extra!

One of the most important aspects of any flight simulation game for me, being it a combat flight simulator or Aerowinx PSX, is the plausibility of the flight dynamics. Aerofly is doing a remarkable job in this area!  Together with the great scenery, flying just for fun making some airport hopping mixed with aerobatics, and adding a bit more of challenge through windy weather makes my sim sessions in Aerofly really rewarding :-)

That's great news. I am tempted more and more to get it, it's just that price a little too high. Ugh. But i'll probably give in to it :)

I purchased the early access version of Assetto Corsa (race simulator) during a 50% sale back in August 2014. The same may happen with AeroFly FS2 at some point.....

• Upvote 1

VR flying now with Oculus Rift. Fantastic! Only issue here is does anyone know how to get the viewpoint in the cockpit. I'm on top of the plane and haven't figured how to get myself back in the cockpit!

UPDATE: Use the space bar.

Great start! This is the way to go. I firmly believe VR is the future of flight sim. It's tecnhology best suited for flight sim. I can't imagine a flight sim without VR ever since the moment you try it.  

In fact, the moment I see Aerofly FS 2 has VR, I bought it immediately.

Aerofly FS 2 ** IS ** the way to go.... Better tell RR and the A2A team that they have to start considering it right away!

Those who have VR and Oculus for example, I have a 9700GTX 4 gb. card. Small micro-lags. This is the first game I've noticed this on my VR. Doesn't do it in P3D. I would recommend at least a 980 and from the specs preferably 1080. The update mentions a high end card and this definitely is the case. I've had to turn down the settings but it's still there. Other than that absolutely great with VR.

Those who have VR and Oculus for example, I have a 9700GTX 4 gb. card. Small micro-lags. This is the first game I've noticed this on my VR. Doesn't do it in P3D. I would recommend at least a 980 and from the specs preferably 1080. The update mentions a high end card and this definitely is the case. I've had to turn down the settings but it's still there. Other than that absolutely great with VR.

Could you Shift + f1 and check your fps?

Could you Shift + f1 and check your fps?

I tried Shift F1 and I get no indication of fps.

I tried Shift F1 and I get no indication of fps.

Try a restart of the sim, you should see it with other information in the lower left corner.

Try a restart of the sim, you should see it with other information in the lower left corner.

Nope. It's in VR mode. There appears to be a small square box in the corners but nothing on it.

Nope. It's in VR mode. There appears to be a small square box in the corners but nothing on it.

You could try outside of VR. Honestly I'm just curious as to whether you're getting enough frames to support it.

On this reddit post I saw another person with a 970 who seemed to be having some luck. https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4ueg04/aerofly_fs_2_flight_simulator_with_preliminary/

It works very smoothly and in Ultra scenery mode outside of VR.

Well since that thread was regarding VR, I was assuming he had it working well on his 970, somehow.

Just so I'm clear. I was asked to indicate what the fps is in VR and I couldn't get the fps by shift f1. Won't show up. 

Now insofar as the VR is concerned, like the link of the person noted above it certainly requires adjustment in terms of settings i.e, a fair amount as compared to the non-vr mode where I can max things out. In the VR mode I get some some pulling or lagging which I imagine if played with too long would likely result in me getting motion sickness.

I must say, the VR experience in terms of the gauges is much better than P3D.  That is, much more readable.

I have a question regarding control though. How can one manipulate the controls in the VR mode? The mouse is not showing up in the cockpit.

So since VR is the future would you guys think its better than a 3 monitor setup and trackIR?

So since VR is the future would you guys think its better than a 3 monitor setup and trackIR?

As it sits now VR still is in it's infancy so depending on how good your 3 monitor setup is (like 3 50" or larger each driven by its own dedicated 1080 card), multi monitors may still be better....however...I feel VR will be the ONLY way to fly a few years from now when the technology catches up...both hard and software wise.

Warning. Been flying for years all the FS series, now P3D and X-Plane and now AFS2 as well. Spent lots of money.Flown with 1 screen, 2 screens, 3 screens.But now I have problems going back quite frankly. In fact I feel cheated playing in a 2D world.

The fact of the matter is that when you're in VR YOU are IN the cockpit. It surrounds you just as you would in real life. You can get up and sit in the jump seat or in the co-pilots seat. You look out the window at your wings and you feel the length, size. One of the great aspects is flying commercial aircrafts in this case the 737 or the airbus I've been doing in AFS2. In 2D flying you don't really get a sense of height. When you're taxing or on the runway ready for takeoff it feels like a sports car not a plane where you are several feet over the tarmac. In VR you very much feel you are in a big plane several feet over the tarmac. All the perspectives and height are there. The speed as that big plane is going down the runway you feel it. Same goes with any other aircraft, GA etc.

Bottom line, if you do make the jump warning because it will be hard to go back. Now is there room for improvement. Certainly in resolution and facility in manipulating gauges, dials etc. But conversely, there is nothing from the 2D environment which can come close.

• Upvote 1

Just an update on VR flying. I've basically gotten rid of the judder - turn vsync off in AFS2 and don't use the  oculus debug tool - the pixels per display pixels override. Leave at 0.0.

I took up the 747 and in VR just incredible. On the runway ready for takeoff that felt like I was in a huge plane towering over the runway. When you go on the outside views what a feeling of bigness - the wings, body of the plane. Great job guys implementing VR. I also bought the Swiss VFR pack really nice. 

• Upvote 1

Just an update on VR flying. I've basically gotten rid of the judder - turn vsync off in AFS2 and don't use the  oculus debug tool - the pixels per display pixels override. Leave at 0.0.

I took up the 747 and in VR just incredible. On the runway ready for takeoff that felt like I was in a huge plane towering over the runway. When you go on the outside views what a feeling of bigness - the wings, body of the plane. Great job guys implementing VR. I also bought the Swiss VFR pack really nice. 

I'm kind of leaning towards possibly getting the Vive. I can't even imagine what it must look like to be over the Grand canyon in 3D in Aerofly........

I will not consider it anytime soon, for being expensive, and also because of interaction with the instrument panel ... How do you do that ?