Sign in to follow this  
fabiovilan

Building a new system, need help with GPU and other things

I´m building a new system for work (stock exchange) and need a real fast processor for data analysis.... I also want to play FSX with PMDG and other add-ons.

Processor i7 -4790k ou 6700k. (I need a i7 for my work, and it´s also good for fsx)

Memory: 16gb DDR3L (2x8gb)  (ddr4 is very expensive and hard to find yet in my country, I need 16gb)

Monitor:  I´m thinking about a LG 29" 2560 x 1080 FHD (Ultra Wide), as it would help a lot with my work and looks good in FSX.

I´ll use a 850evo SSD as main drive and a 2gb HDD for data.

Questions:

1) What would be the best processor ? 4790k ou 6700k ? I´m afraid of skylake bugs (like the prime95), but 4790k is getting old every day, and it also should run a little hotter.  Would the K series add a lot in FSX ? or a 4790/6700 would be enough ?? What do you guys suggest ?

2) I won´t play games except FSX, so what GPU should I buy ? 750TI ? GTX 950 ? GTX960 ? GTX970 ? I don´t need it to be perfect, just looks good and good fps... But I probably will need to play it at 2560x1080, so.... what is the recommend card for this resolution in FSX/PMDG ?

Thanks !!

Re 1) definitely get the K version, either processor will do the job.

Re 2) get the GTX970 if budget allows.

Bert

I´m building a new system for work (stock exchange) and need a real fast processor for data analysis.... I also want to play FSX with PMDG and other add-ons.

Given the confidential nature usually associated with data analysis... are you sure work and play on the same machine is appropriate? Or would you be better off with two machines feeding one monitor via a KVM switch?

Processor i7 -4790k ou 6700k. 

6700K... newer architecture, Z170 chip set and all the advantages that brings. Not to mention that everyone here on Avsim that has adopted Skylake has been very happy, with comments like "great frame rate and very smooth".

I´m afraid of skylake bugs (like the prime95),

The bug only occurs under certain, specific, complex workload conditions. Intel has a fix that motherboard manufacturers can implement. You would have to check your chosen boards bios updates that the fix has indeed been implemented. For the vast majority of us, we will never encounter it, but I do understand how you, in the financial business, would be concerned. To be honest though, the bug was in a rarely used esoteric computational area, I doubt you would ever encounter it.

Would the K series add a lot in FSX 

For Skylake, the best overclock with conventional cooling is 4.8 Ghz, so yes, a worthwhile free speed upgrade. So worth getting the "K".

2) I won´t play games except FSX, so what GPU should I buy ? 750TI ? GTX 950 ? GTX960 ? GTX970 ?

My advice is to always buy the most powerful card you can afford, if your intention is gaming, simming etc.

What about PSU, don't forget that a high quality PSU is very important? I favor multi-rail PSU's. Safer under certain conditions.