Sign in to follow this  
Meeko

Admin Privileges

I have Prepar3d v3, all was well with W7.

I have just upgraded to W10 and, as expected, have had my share of problems.  Saitek Pro Flight controls was one of them.  Problem was solved by FAQ over at Madcatz.  Another problem I’m having is this;  I’m not able to edit aircraft CFG files in order to install liveries.  When I go to save I get the message;

“You don’t have permission to save in this location.  Contact the administrator to obtain permission”. 

Everything I have installed in P3D has been “Run as Administrator” so I am at a loss to know why this is now an issue.  I’m sure there is an easy solution but I’m at my wits end trying to find it.  Is there a tick box somewhere, or a slider to adjust?  Any help would be appreciated.

Bruce R

Bruce Ross

Try running Notepad or whatever editor you're using as admin.

Richard Åsberg

I'm already opening the CFG file in Notepad to edit it.  It's when I go to save my entry I get the message.  Very frustrating.

Bruce R

Bruce Ross

Did you install P3D into default ProgramFiles x86?

If so, I recommend you install P3D into a folder outside of that ... i.e. d:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar 3d v3.

Also turn UAC to never notify.  And finally make sure your account type is Administrator (Control Panel - User Accounts - User Accounts - change your account type ... make sure administrator is selected.

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks Rob.  Your last two suggestions - turn UAC to never notify, this has always been on the bottom (never notify), and "administrator" has always been checked. Your first suggestion is interesting.  P3D was installed into the default location Program Files X86.  I didn't realise P3D would have the same problems as FXS had.  Do you think the problems could be solved by installing directly into C:\ ?

Bruce R 

Bruce Ross

Thanks Rob.  Your last two suggestions - turn UAC to never notify, this has always been on the bottom (never notify), and "administrator" has always been checked. Your first suggestion is interesting.  P3D was installed into the default location Program Files X86.  I didn't realise P3D would have the same problems as FXS had.  Do you think the problems could be solved by installing directly into C:\ ?

Bruce R

When you say "directly to C:\" do you mean install to "C:\Prepar3D v3"? Installing to the root off you disk (without a "Prepar3d v3" folder) is a bad idea, but installing to a dedicated directory outside of Prpgram Files (or any other system rated director) is the recommendation.

Wills

It's not really a problem with P3D or FSX, it's just how Windows OS treats ProgramFiles under a different security context.  But yes

C:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar 3d v3   will work also, I'd recommend putting P3D on a different physical drive, but it that's not an option then anywhere outside of ProgramFiles x86

Cheers, Rob.

Definitely sounds like you have installed to the default "Program Files (x86)" location which is not a good idea with P3D.

I wouldn't recommend disabling UAC since it's a security feature. Without it, any program you run on your system can run with full privileges which is a huge security risk these days.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

As others had already pointed out 

I'm already opening the CFG file in Notepad to edit it.  It's when I go to save my entry I get the message.  Very frustrating.

Bruce R

Yes, I understand the problem is when you try to save the file but what I suggested/asked was not if you're opening the file using Notepad but if you're starting Notepad as Admin. If you simply double-click the file you want to open that will not launch Notepad as Admin unless you configured Notepad to always be ran as Admin.

Making sure you're running Notepad as admin should help you save the file even when it's under the default Program Files (x86) folder for this time but as others have already suggested installing P3D outside the default Program Files (x86) folder is definitely the best thing to do or you will risk facing similar issues further down the road.

Richard Åsberg

With W7 I had FSX installed in C:\FSX and P3D in it's default location in Program Files x86.  Everything worked just fine.  I took the plunge last week and upgraded to W10.  Immediately after that I decided FSX had come to the end of its life so I uninstalled it leaving P3D in Program Files x86.  Its only since then I've been having these problems.  So thanks gents ..... I'll take on board your advice and uninstall P3D and relocate as C:\ Lockheed Martin \ Prepar3D V3.  A job for next week I think.  Thank goodness for retirement; it's not a 5 minute job.

Richard A - thanks for the Notepad suggestion.  As a matter of interest how do you open a file in notepad as administrator.  I can't get my head around that one.

Regards

Bruce Ross

Hi there Bruce and you're most welcome!

Running Notepad as admin is actually very simple, just right-click the Notepad shortcut/icon and pick the 'Run as admin' option from the context menu.

Then you open whatever file you like by going to the file menu in Notepad and browse to the location of the file.

Doing it like this you should have no issues saving the file regardless of its location.

Richard Åsberg

Richard - After your first reply I went into notepad on my desktop, right clicked and opened properties / shortcut / advanced and clicked on the "Run as Administrator".  Then tried to edit an aircraft cfg file again.  I still had the same problem.  I still had to "contact the administrator to obtain permission".  That's what was confusing me.  Hopefully it's all academic now because P3D has been uninstalled.  Today's a new day, 0830 here in NZ, and I'm about to start installing into C:\LM\Prepar3D. 

It's quite surprising how things accumulate over the years.  I have 50 - 60 scenery packages and 17 aircraft addons to install.  It will keep me in doors all day.  Just as well because the whole country is being hit with a cold blast today.  Woke up to snow all around the hills.   

Regards   

Bruce Ross

Richard - After your first reply I went into notepad on my desktop, right clicked and opened properties / shortcut / advanced and clicked on the "Run as Administrator".  Then tried to edit an aircraft cfg file again.  I still had the same problem.  I still had to "contact the administrator to obtain permission".  That's what was confusing me.  Hopefully it's all academic now because P3D has been uninstalled.  Today's a new day, 0830 here in NZ, and I'm about to start installing into C:\LM\Prepar3D. 

It's quite surprising how things accumulate over the years.  I have 50 - 60 scenery packages and 17 aircraft addons to install.  It will keep me in doors all day.  Just as well because the whole country is being hit with a cold blast today.  Woke up to snow all around the hills.   

Regards   

Interesting when we have one of the best summers here in Sweden with somewhere between 25-30C almost every day now :wink:

Strange you were not allowed to save the file using Notepad after configuring it to be ran as admin but maybe it's because you don't have UAC disabled or something else. Not a big deal though now that you already reinstalled P3D in another location.

Good luck with the rest of the reinstallation!

Richard Åsberg

Definitely sounds like you have installed to the default "Program Files (x86)" location which is not a good idea with P3D.

I wouldn't recommend disabling UAC since it's a security feature. Without it, any program you run on your system can run with full privileges which is a huge security risk these days.

Been running every flight sim I have had on x86 location and never had one issue. Just requires about 20 seconds of reading to understand how admin permissions work. 

Richard - After your first reply I went into notepad on my desktop, right clicked and opened properties / shortcut / advanced and clicked on the "Run as Administrator".  Then tried to edit an aircraft cfg file again.  I still had the same problem.  I still had to "contact the administrator to obtain permission".  That's what was confusing me.  H

The account you are using, is it admin?

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Thanks for replying Bob.  Yes the account is 'admin'.  I was using W7 and had both FSX and P3D V3 installed.  FSX was installed in C:\FSX and P3D in the default x86.  Everything worked perfectly.  Just last week I upgraded to W10.  I then decided, as I was not really using FSX anymore, to un-installed it.  I later found I couldn't edit files in P3D such as an aircraft cfg file.  On suggestions in this topic I un-installed P3D and re-installed in C:\LM\Prepar3d V3.   Now everything is back to working perfectly again.

It's quite strange how this happened after upgrading to W10.  Everything I have installed in both flight sims has been as an administrator so I guess it should have continued to work in W10.  But that's computers for you.  Problem has been sorted thanks.      

Bruce Ross