Sign in to follow this  
Jim Young

Beta Testing

Many years ago I was part of the SimHQ staff, but once I started developing software it got very uncomfortable for me despite them wanting me to stay on.  It just felt dirty to be on their staff while another one of their staff members was reviewing one of our products, moderating a topic involving us or our competition, etc.  So I left SimHQ as it was the only option, out of respect for them (and A2A).

I don't think moderators or anyone involved in reviews or news should be in any way directly (beta tester) affiliated with a developer.  Even if someone thinks they can be impartial, they can't.  The professional thing to do is to make a choice:  either be involved in development (beta testing is development), or media, but not both.

Scott.

• Upvote 1

I don't think moderators or anyone involved in reviews or news should be in any way directly (beta tester) affiliated with a developer.  Even if someone thinks they can be impartial, they can't.  The professional thing to do is to make a choice:  either be involved in development (beta testing is development), or media, but not both.

Scott.

Thank you for this considered opinion on these matters. I too think that it is critical that all reasonable efforts be made to not only disallow conflict of interest, but to have the transparency to prevent even the appearance of such.

Kind regards,