Sign in to follow this  
scisimmer

VFR Departing Traffic Pattern Questsion

Hi all

This is a question I can't really seem to find the answer to: please look at the picture below. I would like to take off runway 05 and go to the star at 228°, 13nm. Circuit is left-handed. How would I depart the traffic pattern?

Would I fly almost the entire TP and exit at base? Or climb straight ahead and turn right?

In this specific case there could be approaching aircraft (ILS approach) into the airport and I would need to cross their path.

I know that in this case, the ATC would tell me what to do since it is a controlled airport. However, the p3d ATC is not that clever. Therefore I am not sure how in real-life I would get from runway 05 to the star.

Any one have an idea? Feel free to draw directly into the map, Thanks!

TP_question.png

I don't have P3D, but if it's anything like the FSX ATC then don't you have an option to depart on one of the cardinal points or straight ahead etc. In the above example could you not say departing south? (apologies if I've misunderstood the principles)

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Racedude,

I'll try to give you the best answer I can.

First, I think that there is a mix of VFR (your aircraft initially) and IFR (the other aircraft on the ILS and your following the SID).

Scenario 1: You are VFR and the approaching aircraft is IFR

If you are flying VFR, in the real world, before taxiing, you would give to the tower / ground your direction of flight to exit the airport airspace (most likely a class D). In this case, it would be a south west departure. Again, assuming that the airport is in a class D airspace, the controller will take care of you within a 4nm radius (typically): there is "no separation service to VFR aircraft"  within this radius, so, in VFR, YOU (the pilot) are ultimately responsible for traffic separation.

As far as I know, the controller will try to avoid you crossing the path of the ILS unless you fly jet and can be way higher by the time you cross it.

Then, once ready for departure, they would clear you as follow: "[calsign] clear for take off runway 05, RIGHT turn on course". You then take off, climb to 500ft AGL and start your turn to the southwest, remain south of the runway and maintain heading until you leave the airspace. When you are out of the airspace, the controller "doesn't care" anymore about you: you can "resume your own navigation" and change your heading to reach the starting point of the SID.

Scenario 2: both aircraft are IFR.

Then, your SID specifies which direction you should turn. You would also have a clearance and the controller would be aware of the path you are following. Then, he would either clear you to follow the SID as published or would vector you if he thinks that it might conflict with other traffic.

Finally, I do not fly P3D but if it is like FS, don't rely to much on the ATC service: it is extremely basic and definitely doesn't cater for such cases. You may try the on-line service Pilotedge for more realistic procedures (full disclosure: I do not work for Pilotedge neither receive money from them).

I suggest that you:

• looked for your airport on Skyvector: you would be able to find the complete path (from the runway) of the SID at the airport you use. It is very unlikely that the SID would have you cutting the ILS path.
  • watched the video from Pilotedge: there is a complete workshop about IFR departures (and generally other videos about IFR procedures).
  • read the FAA "Instrument Flying Handbook" (available in pdf format for free) for a very detailed answer.
  • Upvote 1

VFR: climb straight ahead to a point beyond the crosswind leg before turning right, or, turn crosswind and fly to a point beyond where you would normally turn downwind. In your example the straight ahead option is best. Fly well clear of the circuit (pattern) before turning.

Rob Jones.

If I remember correctly ATC just gives you a North, South, East, West approved, in that case just make a right downwind departure. This will allow you to reach your first waypoint and not interfere with anyone in the pattern or on the ILS. I would also recommend using VATSIM or Pilot Edge for ATC as it provides a better ATC service.

Towered fields will give you a "turn right on course" type of call with your takeoff clearance.

But, to be frank, if you are VFR at a non towered field, just climb to 700-1000AGL and turn where you want. Announce leaving the pattern and your direction. There's nothing else to it.