Sign in to follow this  
Dark Moment

Cessna T-37 'Tweet'

After combing the forums, do I conclude that the only T-37 available is the payware one from T37sim.com? For me, $30 is a lot for one plane if that remains the deal. No freeware versions or more reasonably priced birds out there? I can't find a thing in the library post-FS98, which surprises me.Thanks for any input,MarkMark "Dark Moment" BeaumontVP Fleet, DC-3 AirwaysTeam Member, MAAM-SIM[a href=http://www.swiremariners.com/cathayhk.html" target="_blank]http://www.paxship.com/maamlogo2.jpg[/a]

Hi Mark,Simviation's got a freeware one done for FS2002 if you want a free one. It's nowhere near the quality of the Project Sierra Hotel www.t37sim.com one though. With the upcoming free upgrade for the T37 the payware one promises to be a winner all over again, state of the art VC panel. It's the one I keep going back and flying when the newness wears off of whatever recent fad aircraft there is.Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

I didn't respond to the other thread due to limited time over the last few days, but I own the Tweet and I believe there is NO WAY that any freeware version will ever come close to this effort, unless the developers decide to make IT freeware. It is an over-the-top airplane given what will always be a fairly limited audience.The airplane would stand just fine on its own - trust me I've spent $30 or more on payware airplanes that I ended up being somewhat underwhelmed with - but along with that you get some very impressive documentation that really puts the package over the top. Of course some folks won't care about the docs but it adds to the sense of this really being a simulator for the lucky guys/gals that will soon fly a real T-37 (but on that topic, see below).Remember that almost all of the panel gauges are custom - and the Tweet has some nav instruments that I have never seen in other FS airplanes (prolly due to those instruments' military nature). Frankly, I still don't know how to drive all of them and one of these days I'll dig in and figure it all out.---That all said, I thought that the Tweet has been phased out as a trainer for the USAF? Something in the other thread led me to believe that I have a misunderstanding about this.---Finally: Apparently the developers are working on a new version, which (according to a quick perusal of the support forums yesterday) has been a bit slow in coming out. I will opine that the product as it stands today is just fine, and I don't see the reason in waiting for it before buying - the upgrace will be free for owners! (I had expected a modest update fee as is the norm for many payware airplanes.)Oh, one other final final thing - I should point out that some functions in the Tweet can only be accessed via the mouse. As I have been known to harp on, I want to use my sim hardware bits by GoFlight and PFC to control cockpit functions, and that is either hard (KeytoMouse, which I haven't yet played with) or impossible to do with the Tweet. This normally drives me crazy but the unique nature of this addon makes it almost OK to reach for the mouse to activate "that" panel switch 8^) .Dave BlevinsP.S. I have flown a few Cessnas IRL (172, 182, 421) and may I say that the Cessna boys really outdid themselves in creating a very complex instrument panel for the Tweet! 8^) Thank goodness for the trend towards glass instruments and away from such anachronisms as the ADF.

System: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 mobo *** i7 2700K @ 5gHz w/ Corsair H80 cooler

NVidia GTX 570 OC *** 8 GB 1600 Corsair Vengeance DRAM *** CoolerMaster HAF X case

System overclocked and tuned for FSX by fs-gs.com

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog stick/throttle & CH Products Pro Pedals

Various GoFlight panels *** PFC avionics stack

Guest paulri

If the Tweet has been phased out, the USAF folks at SPS sure have not gotten the word. :-) Lots of T-38s being flown as well--they are used as the advanced trainers.The NATO training school is there and they fly those things very day and on many nights as well. FSI is used as a satellite field for GCA practice and there always seems to be one or two in traffic all day long. They also use LAW for ILS approaches as well. Living SW of FSI, we always have them going over the house at about 1500-2000 AGL most days, heading back to SPS, especially with a south wind. Paul

Thanks, gents. Took a look at the Simviation one and ... well, it's clear that the t37sim lady is the winner all round. And the only one about in its class.One day ... as said, with Barbie dolls to buy for little 'un, $30 is a lot for one aircraft when I've got several thousand in the hangar that I haven't flown yet! But I appreciate the input.MarkMark "Dark Moment" BeaumontVP Fleet, DC-3 AirwaysTeam Member, MAAM-SIM[a href=http://www.swiremariners.com/cathayhk.html" target="_blank]http://www.paxship.com/maamlogo2.jpg[/a]