Sign in to follow this  
byork

Windows 10: Setting the Speech Recognizer to English US

Every now and then we have a user with Windows 10 who cannot set his Speech Recognizer to English US in Windows 10.

Here's the alternate way of doing it (if the way in the manual does not work for you).

1. Go to "Settings".  (Type "Settings" in the Search Bar).

2. Select Region and Language.

3. Add English (United States).

4. Select "Options" in the English United States tab.

5. Download "Speech" in the Language options.

You should now be able to set your Speech Recognizer to English US as depicted in the manual.

Link:

http://www.support.fs2crew.com/help/manuals/#pageid=windows_vista__windows_7_and_windows_82

I've just got myself a new computer and Windows 10 has moved on compared to what's shown in the manual.

As far as I can see, there are now two parts to the language settings:

Capture1.png

And

Capture2.png

The problem is, I can't make the second (language) settings stay as English (USA) unless the first two are also set to USA.

That means my UK keyboard doesn't work.

Am I doing something wrong?

ngxu_banner.png

I did that first as I am a longstanding user of your excellent products but it didn't seem to work until I changed the settings in the first 2 pics. 

Capture3.png

Should i only need to do this one?  Perhaps I had another sound problem in a brand new set-up which I solved by accident!  It does work with all the settings shown above but it's the incidental problems with the keyboard and probably all the US advertising Microsoft will send me! 

I'll give it another try today. 

Edited by ailchim

ngxu_banner.png

I think I'm all OK now.  Have set the 1st three settings (i.e. the ones on the "new" dialogues) back to Queen's English and the "traditional" Speech Properties/Speech Recognition one to English (US) as normal.

Both FS2Crew and keyboard are now working.

I must have had some other problem with Sound generally - apologies - but it's an all new machine and a new flight simulator and add-ons which took me years to acquire in Flight Simulator.  That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

Thanks for the help. 

ngxu_banner.png

All I have In speech properties is text to speech .I don't have the speech recognition .I did use maadog  worked fine and I went to use this morning and no go. Window 10

Edited by frester

Hey!

So far, I've only used the button versions of FS2Crew to avoid any mess with speech recognition. Now, I finally want to set it up. One problem:

I've got a German Windows 10 version (Home edition). I've downloaded the language pack for English (US) as well as English (UK). I can set up everything as described above, BUT: I can't train my voice with the the Speech Recognizer set to English, probaly Windows recognizes a difference with the display language (which is still German). I've now trained it in German, which has worked, but which is probably very little helpful for the voice versions of FS2crew.. Do I really have to set the Windows display language to English to use FS2Crew successfully? I really want to avoid that, because I fear it would cause a lot of other problems, for example with writing programs and so on...

So far, I thought it would be enough to only set the speech recognition to English, not the whole Windows.

Thanks in advance.

Dominik

Regards, Dominik

Hi Dominik,

For the flight crew programs, yes, you must set it to English (US, UK, AU, IN, CA) because you are required to speak in English.

Our pushback programs are different; for those you can speak in German, French or Spanish as well.

You can try changing your language to English, then train your voice profile, then set your Windows display language back to German if desired.

We have many German users here.  Maybe one of them can chime in.

Best,

On 8/3/2021 at 10:45 PM, byork said:

Hi Dominik,

For the flight crew programs, yes, you must set it to English (US, UK, AU, IN, CA) because you are required to speak in English.

Our pushback programs are different; for those you can speak in German, French or Spanish as well.

You can try changing your language to English, then train your voice profile, then set your Windows display language back to German if desired.

We have many German users here.  Maybe one of them can chime in.

Best,

Hi,

yes I can confirm that. Initially I set to English, trained the speech regonition - then set back to German and both PBE and FS2Crew works as expected. I don't see any flaws so far.

I use FS2Crew with FBW A320NX in FS2020.

Florian

Edited by PixelHunter
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PixelHunter said:

Hi,

yes I can confirm that. Initially I set to English, trained the speech regonition - then set back to German and both PBE and FS2Crew works as expected. I don't see any flaws so far.

I use FS2Crew with FBW A320NX in FS2020.

Florian

Dankeshon!