Sign in to follow this  
fencelake

Add on GPS integration - Missing Link!

Hi, 

I'm new and hopefully this is the right place to post this:

I just bought the F1 GTN 750 and as expected I'm trying to put it into any plane I can.  I've been reading every thread I can find on this subject.   I don't really want to keep bugging the gurus on here with every aircraft, and also I'd like to contribute what I can as well, seeing that folks on here have been really generous with their coding.  I realize that some planes have modeled pieces in the VC which you can't get rid of, but other planes, specifically Carenado and Alabeo have panels that are configurable, at least at first glance.  So my question is...  When I comment out the existing component or components and then add the GTN coding in the panel.cfg.  Some planes with the same existing instruments comment right out and the GTN will comment right in and others it doesn't work at all. 

So what am I missing if I comment out an existing gauge and it still shows up in the VC?  I'm getting it hit or miss right now, so I know there's something else I should do.

Another question that I have is a few of the planes offer Reality XP integration... so shouldn't those factory GNS 530's be removable?  I'll probably purchase the RXP 530 too... but I just thought I'd see what I can do with the GTN.

I appreciate any help!  

Hi, and welcome to the arcane art of panel modification  :smile:

First of all, different airplanes use different design in their cockpits.. and that matters for this discussion.

In earlier designs, you can comment out a gauge and the gauge will disappear, textures and all.

Sometimes the 3d knobs are left behind, sometimes not.  You noticed that, as you mentioned above.

In newer designs, the gauges are typically modeled in 3d and much if not all the function is coded

right into the model code itself.  In that case, there is little that you, as a user, can do to modify the shapes

and textures in the cockpit.

Lastly, some vendors provide integration options for 3rd party gauges..  a2a, realair, carenado etc

In those cases they provide the changed 3d models for you.

So where does that leave you?

Well, you can try to "shoehorn" a 3rd party GPS into a space where it was not designed to go, but hey,

you have bought the plane and if you want to rip out and replace gauges, why not at least try?

I believe you have seen some of the efforts with the GTN in the Phenom 300 and CJ2, made by a collection

of enthusiasts on this forum.. that is kind of where the current state of the art is at  :wink:

Bert

Thanks for the reply Bert, 

Yea, I keep reading different threads, and seeing what people are doing.  I guess I just need to keep learning about all the coding etc.  I was looking at the A36 from Carenado this morning and it has two base 430's in it, and I was like man, if I could just get rid of those two and put the GTN in the hole it would be perfect.  When I deleted the gauge comment nothing happens to the gauges...  They look like the kind that would just comment out but maybe not.  It's a shame to not be able to upgrade these planes... Carenado does such a great job with the planes and the new stuff is upgrade-able, but it sure would be nice to do the same with the older ones.  

So, I guess if RXP integration is possible, then they're just using the same modeling?  Because the buttons should be different on the RXP.  

I saw your thread of the 182Q... that's a great one to upgrade.  I love that plane a lot...  I'll have to give it a shot.

I thought of one more question to put out there:

If you're changing something in the panel.cfg...  under virtual cockpit... do you change it in [window XX] as well or is that just 2D stuff?

[WindowXX] entries are 2d only.

[VCockpitXX] entries are virtual cockpit 3d only.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

[WindowXX] entries are 2d only.

[VCockpitXX] entries are virtual cockpit 3d only.

Right on!  Thanks for the reply!

Have you read the FSX SDK description:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526956.aspx

I haven't, but I will now.  Thanks for sending this link

Have you read the FSX SDK description:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526956.aspx

Wow!!  It's a field guide to panel.cfg!  Awesome!