Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Alternative to ORBX?

For me, photoreal is the way to go.

Nice though it is (and I would love full globe PR) its hardly a good replacement for Orbx, unless you have vast amounts of storage, or only fly in a few areas that are well catered for. The quality of the data used is extremely variable, with some of it being almost unfit for purpose. I use photoreal for the UK and would love some of the other European areas, but for the rest of the world there is absolutely nothing to touch Orbx, certainly in textures; Vector is another matter.

Stan, I think we have all been there one time or the other. Very frustrating.

The sim is complex now and unless one has spent time learning how its all connected it can be hard to fix.

I'm not sure where you are at after your original post.  Looks like you tried the scenery indexes thing...that is not your sims problem, leave them alone.

Most likely you have a corrupted terrain.cfg. Don't try to uninstall and reinstall stuff willy nilly.  If you have already deleted FSX main folder then you should start over from scratch.

If not then a careful, one step at at time approach will git her done.

You said

I have trees all over KSEA, and I have PNW, Rockies, and everything else.

But you also have Global and Vector. You say you have everything, that is that exactly. All Orbx products? All Regions and airports.  Does that include FS Addons, Tongass Fjords?

Tell us what you have exactly.

There are tons of posts in most active forums about folks who have water instead of land and land instead of water, often trees everywhere.  This usually is a terrain.cfg corruption and can be fixed but it depends upon what addons or what you are running scenery wise.

Bryan

Lots of ORBX stuff.  In addition to Vector and Global, PNW and Central Rockies.  Southern California as well.  I have airports, PAKT, Concrete, and many others in the Washington PNW area. Of course, many other airports in different parts of the world.  

So I want to be sure what you are referring to.  Is there any water?  Or is there land instead of water.  Or are you talking about trees over runways etc.  These things mean different things. What is the spatial location and extent of the area without water?

Usually, missing waterbodies indicate an issue with the Orbx custom block of entries for the terrain.cfg file. However, those entries are checked each time FTX Central is run and should rebuild when you launch Central.  Are you running the new Central and migration, as this is now a whole new kettle of worms.

If you have PNW then Global has no impact on it unless you have made changes to the scenery priority order.

No water...but LAND, in and around KSEA.  Trees and houses all over airport and runways where I know these houses didn't exist before.  Trees and houses floating at PAKT. Yes, new Central and I have even forced migration.

OK - have you run the Troubleshooter after the migration?

FSX or P3D\Orbx\Troubleshooter\MigrationTroubleshooter.exe

If not, run it and report back on the results.

• Upvote 1

Bert

Agree with Bert.

So I gather the problem is isolated to PNW area say around Puget Sound.  Its more and more sounding like a corrupted terrain.cfg.

Orbx has a backup of their terrain.cfg and the required entries located here:

G:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ORBX\Scripts\FTXCentral\Work

If you do not have UTX products or any other scenery landclass addons then you could backup your original terrain.cfg, then drop in the one provided by Orbx.

If you have Tongass, Van+ or Vic+, then you must open up the Configure, then click Apply Settings without changing anything, this will add the required entries into your newly added terrain.cfg.

If you have UTX products you must also run the configure and shut down again, this also adds their required landclass entries into the terrain.cfg.

Try this, run the sim again and see what happens to this area.

Bryan

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Looking more and more that I will have to delete FSX and re-install.  Hate to do it, but I'm usually happy after I do it so that I can pick and choose scenery, aircraft, and addons.  It's a chance, I guess, to get rid of the 'bloat" that probably all of us have.

Stan

I made sure to put all of my favorites on a separate portable hard disk.  I would like to know the PROPER ORDER of how ORBX sceneries, Global, and Vector should be re-installed.  I know how to do everything else, but I'm not sure if Global or PNW and other airports should precede the other.

Thanks in advance

Did you run the troubleshooter?  And what did it say?

• Upvote 1

Bert

I have deleted a lot of the ORBX stuff on my system.  When I run FSX Central, it tells me there's an unrecoverable error.  Perhaps if I reload my regions or Global, I could do the troubleshooter, but I've uninstalled and reinstalled so many times, it's getting rather useless.

Would you suggest that I reinstall something in ORBX and then run the troubleshooter?

After that, you may have no other remedy..

Personally, I have never re-installed FSX..  :nea:

Bert

I've done it about 3 times for various reasons.  Once just to get rid of so much that I wasn't using (planes and other experimental addons).  It's somewhat traumatic, but after it's done, it's like re-formatting a computer.  Things all work faster and better.  It's amazing that you've never had to do it even once!

Stan

Looking more and more that I will have to delete FSX and re-install.  Hate to do it, but I'm usually happy after I do it so that I can pick and choose scenery, aircraft, and addons.  It's a chance, I guess, to get rid of the 'bloat" that probably all of us have.

Stan

I made sure to put all of my favorites on a separate portable hard disk.  I would like to know the PROPER ORDER of how ORBX sceneries, Global, and Vector should be re-installed.  I know how to do everything else, but I'm not sure if Global or PNW and other airports should precede the other.

Thanks in advance

The order in which the ORBX scenery is installed really doesn't matter much anymore. The installers will take care of things. But, that said, my "old school" method that I still use is to go from big to small. First Global, then Landclass, then Regions and I always install the airports last. And then.....don't forget to install the latest ORBX scenery library after everything else is done. All that's probably a bit on the anal side but I have over 100 ORBX products installed and it hasn't failed me yet. I'm absolutely sure you were bitten by a failed landclass conversion. I've been there (twice) and sort of know the frustrations you're feeling. Hang in there.....no need to abandon all your ORBX stuff.....it'll get better with the new install.

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

The order in which the ORBX scenery is installed really doesn't matter much anymore. The installers will take care of things. But, that said, my "old school" method that I still use is to go from big to small. First Global, then Landclass, then Regions and I always install the airports last. And then.....don't forget to install the latest ORBX scenery library after everything else is done. All that's probably a bit on the anal side but I have over 100 ORBX products installed and it hasn't failed me yet. I'm absolutely sure you were bitten by a failed landclass conversion. I've been there (twice) and sort of know the frustrations you're feeling. Hang in there.....no need to abandon all your ORBX stuff.....it'll get better with the new install.

Doug

Thanks,

I'll start the process today.

Stan

Ps.  Did you UNINSTALL every ORBX file on your system...along with FSX, before your began your re-install?

Thanks,

I'll start the process today.

Stan

Ps.  Did you UNINSTALL every ORBX file on your system...along with FSX, before your began your re-install?

Your registry will likely still contain various bits of info related to those installers that put stuff into the registry. But that should not matter to a reinstall.

Firstly be sure to have plenty of beer, coffee or tea available before starting...lol.

If you want to be logical about Orbx reinstall order, do this....Global, Vector, Libraries then check to see they are represented property, Regions and Libraries then check to see if they are represented properly check each region in general after each is installed, Airports and Libraries RUN the AEC tool, ck each one after its install to be sure its all there and working properly, Freeware.  That should do it.

I did a complete reinstall on a new PC recently, used the above order, and I checked my installs after each element was added, just to be sure before moving to the next step, so that if anything seems not correct I could "fix" it right then and there.  I never did have an issue.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Do you install Global 100, then 110, etc. or is there one version that includes all previous versions? I have them all saved. The same for the many versions of Vector. Is ORBX dependent on each version before the next?

Stan

THANKS

Orbx Global Base is now at Version 1.40   You can Download it again from your place of Purchase and it will come as 1.40  (All Included) 

Global Vector is now at Version 1.35 

Guest JustanotherPilot

Deleted that folder, and it still didn't help. Thanks anyway.

Stan

Stan,

Have you tried a freeware program called Scenery Editor (http://fs-sceditor.sourceforge.net/). It allows you to view the structure of your scenery files to find any problems, enable/ disable, without having to fire up FSX. Saved me many a re-install.

steve