Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Alternative to ORBX?

I HAVE posted on the ORBX forum, but I've gotten no responses.  All of a sudden, after some of the last upgrades to Global, my ORBX Global, Vector, etc. have become a mess.   I have trees all over KSEA, and I have PNW, Rockies, and everything else.  I have uninstalled and painstakingly re-installed all my Global (plus updates), Vector (plus updates) and individual airports.

I have NO water anywhere to be seen in KSEA, and trees everywhere.  I'm getting errors as I re-install, and I'm at my wit's end!

What is your alternative to ORBX Global and Vector?  Although I've spent scads of money on ORBX, I'm ready to abandon it.  I probably would keep some airports like PAKT and Concrete, but I'm really disappointed with the amount of work I've done in the last 2 days and I have not been successful

Stan

Just a quick suggestion but did you try deleting your SceneryIndexes folder, between your various re-installations? 

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Hi Stan,

The best thing to do is to uninstall FSX, delete the entire folder, then start from scratch.

You can pick up GEX & UTX for the areas that you fly. If you add some freeware mesh, you'll be set.

You can then add aircraft and utilities. Lastly, you can add favorite airports.

Concrete & PAKT are part of PNW & PFJ Region. You should not have any problems installing these regions and airports. The only issue you might encounter is that you might need to disable UTX lighting when flying in the ORBX regions.

Good luck.

Jose

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Do you mean in FSX itself?  Where exactly are you referring to as SceneyIndexes folder?

Stan

Uninstalling FSX wasn't something I wanted to do....but if that's the only way?  PLUS, if I uninstalled FSX, I probably could get ORBX to work right.

Stan

Do you mean in FSX itself?  Where exactly are you referring to as SceneyIndexes folder?

Stan

You should have a path called C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX, (The 'ProgramData' folder might be hidden in Windows, so you have to enabled hidden folders or manually type in "ProgramData" in your file browser) where you'll find a folder called "SceneryIndexes". Like the Shader Cache folder, it can be deleted and it'll start regenerating. This can be the cause of scenery related issues and most people aren't aware of its existence, so they never try to delete it. Give that a shot, see if it works :)

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Deleted that folder, and it still didn't help. Thanks anyway.

Stan

I'd to a total uninstall of FSX, get rid of everything.

This guide should help, the folder structure of FSX-SE is the same as FSX.

http://www.avsim.com/topic/480344-how-do-i-uninstall-fsx-steam-version/

Also get rid of the ORBX folders located in 

► Computer ► Local Disk (C:) ► Users ► your user name ► AppData ► Local 

► Computer ► Local Disk (C:) ►ProgramData 

► Computer ► Local Disk (C:) ► Users ► your user name ► AppData ► Roaming  (i don't remember if there is one here, but it's worth checking)

Good lucj Stan

Cheers :)

N.-

Stan, I think we have all been there one time or the other. Very frustrating.

The sim is complex now and unless one has spent time learning how its all connected it can be hard to fix.

I'm not sure where you are at after your original post.  Looks like you tried the scenery indexes thing...that is not your sims problem, leave them alone.

Most likely you have a corrupted terrain.cfg. Don't try to uninstall and reinstall stuff willy nilly.  If you have already deleted FSX main folder then you should start over from scratch.

If not then a careful, one step at at time approach will git her done.

You said

I have trees all over KSEA, and I have PNW, Rockies, and everything else.

But you also have Global and Vector. You say you have everything, that is that exactly. All Orbx products? All Regions and airports.  Does that include FS Addons, Tongass Fjords?

Tell us what you have exactly.

There are tons of posts in most active forums about folks who have water instead of land and land instead of water, often trees everywhere.  This usually is a terrain.cfg corruption and can be fixed but it depends upon what addons or what you are running scenery wise.

Bryan

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Currently I use UTX and FTX Global Base. I don't like FTX Global Vector and UTX has enough Landclass in it so I don't have to wait for ORBX to produce that either. Global Base is just textures so it won't give your FSX any problems.  

Matthew Kane

So I want to be sure what you are referring to.  Is there any water?  Or is there land instead of water.  Or are you talking about trees over runways etc.  These things mean different things. What is the spatial location and extent of the area without water?

Usually, missing waterbodies indicate an issue with the Orbx custom block of entries for the terrain.cfg file. However, those entries are checked each time FTX Central is run and should rebuild when you launch Central.  Are you running the new Central and migration, as this is now a whole new kettle of worms.

If you have PNW then Global has no impact on it unless you have made changes to the scenery priority order.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Currently I use UTX and FTX Global Base. I don't like FTX Global Vector and UTX has enough Landclass in it so I don't have to wait for ORBX to produce that either. Global Base is just textures so it won't give your FSX any problems.  

Agreed. Same combo for myself.

Stan,

Also to check "scenery.cfg" under "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX\" whether it has "Texture_ID=1" line in the area 01. Whenever I open FTX central, it deletes and make mess like you described.

P.S: I didn't upgrade my libraries...

[Area.001]
Texture_ID=1
Title=Default Terrain
Local=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\FSX\Scenery\World
Layer=1
Active=TRUE

Required=TRUE 

regards

Hakan

Sounds like your migration to the new Orbx Landclass system did not go well. Install the latest libraries run ftx central, then go to the troubleshooting menu and the section for force migration to have it test. Then go to the vector config tool and in the last tab run the auto scan program.Orbx is pretty good about responding to tech support trouble.

"What is your alternative to ORBX Global and Vector?"

I'm with ya Stan.  I dropped them years ago.  For me, photoreal is the way to go.  Granted, does not cover the world but who flies the entire world?  Also have never had issues like you are having.  I'd say give it try and see if photoreal suits your taste.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Hi Stan,

Really good to see you again! I am sure you and most of us have landed in that same "everything is fouled up" ditch time and time again.

I think Bryan is right on his overview, questions to ask and suggested direction to take.

The only suggestion I have if there is no remedy is to uninstall and reinstall FSX from scratch and install one FTX region and scenery after the other within the new ORBX unified process and hope for the best...  :sad: !!

Fortunately for me (for the last few days at least, but with no guarantee for tomorrow, or the day after...), my fully ORBX migrated P3D v3.5.5 is now working very well with greatly reduced Vector options.

In any case, the historic accumulative happy dance with 32 bit applications may be rendered obsolete when the new 64 bit sims arrive and (if) adopted.  Meanwhile ORBX in both FSX and (32 bit) P3D is top shelf. Nothing else comes close in my opinion..

Have you made any progress getting any relief on the sim chaos since you last posted?

Kindest personal regards,