Sign in to follow this  
WingZ

Digital Rights Management again

Just a heads-up for those running older systems:
SimMarket has implemented a new DRM system which opens a browser window during the install, to get an authorisation code. 
My FS2004 box runs on WIN XP SP3 using Chrome.
The browser window will not open and so I cannot install the LOWS scenery I bought.

The helpdesk has been responsive, but want me to install another browser.
I tried to download Firefox, but the install repeatedly failed (Chrome defending itself?)

Long and short: I don't really want to reconfigure my ancient computer, just to accommodate their revised DRM, and I have asked for a refund.
There are thankfully other places to shop online.

I appreciate my entire system is by now "unsupported" but was surprised that it became "unusable". 

WingZ perhaps you try could Internet Explorer, standard browser already included in XP or Maxthon which is my preferred browser. 

BTW simMarket has used that procedure for years for its exclusive software developers.

PS.  Back on line finally after my computer problems ... mainboard was the culprit. Do you know how hard it is to source a mainboard for a 2 year old cpu?  :help:  :girl_devil:   :Cry:   :t0103:

"2 year old"

Oh My, probably "unsupported"   :aggressive:

I am pretty sure it is a recent change in DRM at Sim Market causing the problem.

I have bought stuff from them for a decade and never had an issue.

Do you know how hard it is
...to get rid of Chrome and replace it even temporarily, with another browser? All other devices will probably self-destruct in sympathy...

Chrome is definitely NOT my browser of choice ever since i noticed the folks at iFly advising users not to download using Chrome since it allegedly was causing multiple issues with their software.  That remains the case even today. Hope all goes well. Ah ... the joys of computers.  :wink:

Firefox all the way...

But I can only second Appliance that for some developers this method is used for some years already.

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

I tried to download Firefox, but the install repeatedly failed (Chrome defending itself?)

that is highly unlikely, if a high profile program such as that was preventing another high profile program from being installed that would be front page news on every tech site

you didn't really mentions specifically what "install failed" means, but that is obviously highly unusual. (was there an error message? what files did it install? what happens when you run it?) ...perhaps your installer was corrupted or the hd you saved it on is having issues?... perhaps it is simply that the current versions of firefox do not support xp? that operating system is extremely old, it was released back in 2001, almost 15 years ago.

as suggested above you should also be able to use internet explorer or perhaps try one of the lesser known ones such as opera.

it seems rather odd they wouldn't support chrome. i have never had any issues with simmarket stuff so i can't offer more specific advice. 

cheers and good luck

-andy crosby

I got a copy of Firefox running, not a bad browser!

It didn't collect all the cookies I use, so I reverted to Chrome for now.

Last words from SimMarket:

There is no work around that allows to use an outdated Windows version, which is not supported by Microsoft anymore. no secure connections can be established anylonger under Windows XP. please stay away from any products that require an online activation unless you have upgrade to Vista at least.

product removed and store credit issed which can be used in a future purchase.

best regards

• Upvote 1

Just a heads-up for those running older systems:

SimMarket has implemented a new DRM system which opens a browser window during the install, to get an authorisation code. 

My FS2004 box runs on WIN XP SP3 using Chrome.

The browser window will not open and so I cannot install the LOWS scenery I bought.

Long and short: I don't really want to reconfigure my ancient computer, just to accommodate their revised DRM, and I have asked for a refund.

There are thankfully other places to shop online.

I appreciate my entire system is by now "unsupported" but was surprised that it became "unusable". 

It's still "usable" for some value of usable - it doesn't support any current version of IE, however.  That's a problem since many pieces of software (on and off the web) expect to find it on your system. Unless you have removed it, IE is part of your system. Have you set Chrome as the default browser? If not, you might try to do so, or if you have, then set the default back to IE.  I finally replaced my last XP system last week - note that even Chrome no longer supports it with updates.

DJ

WingZ, thanks for reporting about SimMarket's reaction and explanation.

In the last time I thought about setting up a WinXP 64bit system dedicated to FS9, but I'll stay then with Win7. Generous reaction by SimMarket btw, I heard that getting a refund from them would be very rare.

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

I got a copy of Firefox running, not a bad browser!

I've been using it since...when was it invented??? :P
Had a mess around at one time or another with all the other various browsers, always found something I didn't like or something that didn't work well with all of them. Firefox has always been great and worked very well with all the sites I've visited over all this time. Highly recommended!

Mark Daniels

open IE

Meh... I completely expunged that thing from my computer, years ago!

Firefox has always been great

It did look good, and installed painlessly.

In truth I don't think the issue is with Chrome, but with XP - be interested to hear others' experiences.

Generous reaction

Well just a credit, not a refund. I have bought an A2A He219 (with no DRM) which I somehow never got round to!