Hi All!

Looking to get a new monitor with a budget of less than $400. Saw this LG below and looks really great. Thoughts?

***This monitor is on sale for $180...... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B9IDLAW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3RZCQNI3YHCOG

Thanks,

Clem

Discord | YouTube | Facebook

34" Odyssey OLED G8 175Hz | 3440X1440 | AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | PNY VERTO OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16 GB | G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 | Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 | ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | Fractal Design North XL ATX Full Tower Case

Ultra wide resolutions can run into distortion on the sides of the viewing area.

Personally, depending on your computer setup, I'd go with a larger 4k screen instead.

Looks to be a good monitor for that price. I have a 34" ultrawide and distortion is not noticeable.

Mick

Just be aware that on a 21:9 ratio, those 29 inches are still rather small. In fact, this monitor is only about the size of a 24" monitor, simply stretched to the side. Personally, 24" would be to small for me, ultrawide or not.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

So just got the monitor and it looks pretty amazing! So wide and so nice. Also, not seeing any distortion.

IMG_4071.jpg

IMG_4072.jpg
  • Upvote 1

34" Odyssey OLED G8 175Hz | 3440X1440 | AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | PNY VERTO OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16 GB | G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 | Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 | ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | Fractal Design North XL ATX Full Tower Case

Ultra wide resolutions can run into distortion on the sides of the viewing area.

Personally, depending on your computer setup, I'd go with a larger 4k screen instead.

Woah woah here. This is absolutely false. I have an ultrawide 21:9 34'' LG and there is no distortion whatsoever, I think you may be confusing running 3 monitors and having to adjust the zoom in which case yes some stretching will occur. 

I will take an ultrawide over 4K again and again, what the OP posted is exactly, way more screen real estate. You can see way more of the flight deck, taxing, turning base, being able to see almost clear over to the FO side on smaller jets is a huge immersion feeling. 

It was actually this model....Same thing but just without the free sync.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-29-ips-lcd-hd-219-ultrawide-monitor/4922000.p?id=bb4922000&skuId=4922000

And it is back at $250. 

Looks to be a good monitor for that price. I have a 34" ultrawide and distortion is not noticeable.

Mick

i have a 34inch curve (LG34uc87) and distortion is very much noticeable, infact it is terrible in comparison to 16:9, running zooms of .7 and above the distortion is almost eliminated but the terrain texture suffers , strangely this effect is absent in x-plane ...

could i ask how you dont see distortion ? what zoom setting do you use ? any help would be great :)

kind regards,

jaff

Woah woah here. This is absolutely false. I have an ultrawide 21:9 34'' LG and there is no distortion whatsoever, I think you may be confusing running 3 monitors and having to adjust the zoom in which case yes some stretching will occur. 

I will take an ultrawide over 4K again and again, what the OP posted is exactly, way more screen real estate. You can see way more of the flight deck, taxing, turning base, being able to see almost clear over to the FO side on smaller jets is a huge immersion feeling. 

how do you manage to " Not see " distortion , arghhhh i have stuggled with many zoom levels to get a right view, please help !!

i have an LG 34inch too ...

kind regards,

jaff

Do you have "wideviewaspect=true" in your prepar3d.cfg set?

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Do you have "wideviewaspect=true" in your prepar3d.cfg set?

Yes boss ! did that long bak ! zoom @ .6 to .7 , maybe i am just staring ttoo much at the corners of the screen, unlike others  :S

Kind regards,

jaff

IMG_8266.jpg

IMG_8267.jpg

IMG_8268.jpg

IMG_8270.jpg

IMG_1764.jpg

IMG_1765.jpg

IMG_1766.jpg

IMG_1767.jpg

I fly with about a 0.70 zoom. WideView is TRUE, and I don't notice any distortion and am very happy with the display. Here are a few pics some taken with my iPhone and some print screen. 

Before choosing a new monitor the available aspect ratios can be checked beforehand simply by arranging the P3D window into those aspect ratios. It may not be high resolution but the renderer works the same with respect to stretching, and the result with and without wide view setting can easily be seen in operation.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

IMG_8266.jpg

IMG_8267.jpg

IMG_8268.jpg

IMG_8270.jpg

IMG_1764.jpg

IMG_1765.jpg

IMG_1766.jpg

IMG_1767.jpg

I fly with about a 0.70 zoom. WideView is TRUE, and I don't notice any distortion and am very happy with the display. Here are a few pics some taken with my iPhone and some print screen. 

lately been flying with .6 ,will retry .7 and adjust the eyepoint according to your pics, thanks for the pics !

kind regards,

jaff

Angelo: Thanks for posting those pics. I'm thinking about going with the 34" Dell curved monitor. It's on sale this weekend at a good price.

Dave