Sign in to follow this  
andreadebiase

Why was I aligned with the wrong runaway?

Looking for hints as to what I may have done wrong.

Was landing in KTYS on runway 5R, a GPS approach with WAAS designation on the approach plate (i am still new to this approaches, mostly familiar with ILS ones and not sure what is that i need to dial in)...anyway, I had the FMC Approach page set to 5R but when i intercepted the GS I ended up perfectly aligned with 5L instead! why? is it me, FSX or both? (on a side note, on NAV1 i had the frequency for ILS 23L which is the exact opposite of 5R because i thought i was going to land on 23L but then things changed and forgot to remove the frequency....is this why I ended up aligned with the wrong runway? shouldnt because 23L has nothing to do with 5L..

thank you

Andrea, you should always look at the approach plate before shooting the approach. You need to note GP intercept, DH, etc. Also look at the LEGS page and make sure it agrees with the chart. Every approach.

Dan Downs KCRP

You sure?

100% because as soon as I realized that i was perfectly aligned with 5L that is the first thing i went to check on the approach page said 5R. Dan same thing for the legs, the names matched on the FCM matched the one on the plate and yet there i was on the left runway, not the right one. I don't have any addon scenery for KTYS so can't even blame a 3rd party. The only thing i did few weeks ago is to update NAVAIDS here http://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids3.html

....I sure will fly this again and try to figure it out. If it turns out messed up again i will report. 

Are you absolutely cetain that you did not tune in 5L ILS frequency in the nav radio and ended up doing an IAC app instead of an IAN ? did FAC and G/P arm and engage in your roll and pitch FMA's ?

I am asking this because you mention GS in your post instead of G/P, which is the proper. Then sometimes, the frequency for both approaches on opposite runways is the same.

EDIT: I just checked the plates for Knoxville and there is no ILS for 5R. 23L freq is 110.75. You mentioned that you intended to land there, so I am guessing that you may have engaged APP in the MCP well before the RNAV IAF, and somewhere along the line caught on the wrong signal. You might want to replicate the approach exactly as last time and see where you went wrong.

Are you absolutely cetain that you did not tune in 5L ILS frequency in the nav radio and ended up doing an IAC app instead of an IAN ? did FAC and G/P arm and engage in your roll and pitch FMA's ?

I am asking this because you mention GS in your post instead of G/P, which is the proper. Then sometimes, the frequency for both approaches on opposite runways is the same.

EDIT: I just checked the plates for Knoxville and there is no ILS for 5R. 23L freq is 110.75. You mentioned that you intended to land there, so I am guessing that you may have engaged APP in the MCP well before the RNAV IAF, and somewhere along the line caught on the wrong signal. You might want to replicate the approach exactly as last time and see where you went wrong.

I was not able to repeat this. the second time i got perfectly aligned with 5R but i didn't have the 23L freq set on NAV1 and yes probably i did what you said and messed up things.  

probably i did what you said and messed up things.

Experience gained.  When we start out in aviation we get a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The goal is to fill the experience bag before we empty the luck bag.

Dan Downs KCRP

To make sure this does not happen again:

1) Naturally select the proper RNP APP in the FMC

2) ILS frequencies on STBY only, use the VOR´s and NDB as ground NAVAID backup.

3) Engage APP in the MCP after you have crossed the IF or IAF for the RNAV approach, to make sure that you are on the correct side of the airport to lock onto the proper course.

4) Make sure as you engage APP, that FAC in the roll FMA and G/P in the pitch FMA have armed and look for engagement. If you see VORLOC or GS reset the APP in the MCP.

In order to de-select the APP mode in the MCP it must be lit. If it is already locked onto a signal and the light is extinguished then you have to cycle the Flight Directors and re engage the Autopilot.