Sign in to follow this  
Manny

Could I install Addons like ORbx to P3DV3.3 prior to activating P3D?

I am building a new PC and I want to install P3D V3.3 in it naturally but I do not want to deactivate my P3D that is running in my current PC/Home Cockpit until I get the new PC all setup

IS there a way I can install P3D V3.3 but not activate it on my new PC...and then go ahead and install all my addons?

At the end I can deactivate my  license on my old pc  and activate my it in my new pc

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I believe (could be wrong) that the activation process starts within the install. If that is the case, You could not do what you want. Perhaps someone who has recently installed and actrivated can comment.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I believe (could be wrong) that the activation process starts within the install. If that is the case, You could not do what you want. Perhaps someone who has recently installed and actrivated can comment.

Vic

That's correct.  You must activate before you can install.  Just reinstalled a week ago and that's what I remember.

Of course at my age it's hard to remember what happened yesterday.

--- Jim  ---

Well, I remember the activation takes place when you run P3D for the first time... but I also can't remember for sure. ;) Anyway, the problem is you can't actually run P3D before activating and you really have to run P3D before installing various addons otherwise (some) addons may not install properly. I myself also run P3D after installing each and every addon to make sure it works well. If you install everything without running P3D and something goes wrong, you may have a big problem figuring out the problem.

So I think we can agree on this answer: no, you can't do what you want to do and you shouldn't want to either. ;)

Can I simply uninstall the client in my current PC (would that deactivate the license) so I can activiate it in my new PC and go back and forth?

Manny

I posted this at LM forum and they told me that we have two activation or we can activate it in two PCs with one license and I just activated my second PC P3D and it worked!

I didn't have to uninstall or deactivate it from the old PC

:smile:

Manny

Seriously! Good to know, thanks for the update. I didn't know that. And btw yes, uninstalling P3D deactivates it so you can activate it to another computer.

LOL. Well you learn something new every day. Wish I'd known that before I bought a second version my other system.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

And you know, installing Orbx without activating P3D seems to have worked.

Remember they used to maintain the Terrain.cfg in FSX where Orbx used to add entries.. I was worried that Terrain.cfg would not have been created if  I had not activated the P3D and started P3D at least once... so where would Orbx add those terrain entries, I was wondering.

But it looks like P3D has gotten away with not maintaining the terrain.cfg in the dll/exe folder and only Orbx maintains its own version.

So when I loaded P3D and went into PNW it looks good there...

I think... I am right.

Can someone confirm that P3D does not have its own Terrain.cfg in the user directory. I searched for it in the c (OS) drive and I did not see a terrain.cfg

Manny

Can someone confirm that P3D does not have its own Terrain.cfg in the user directory. I searched for it in the c (OS) drive and I did not see a terrain.cfg

P3D maintains terrain.cfg in the Program Data area, and has been doing that for some time now.

Dan Downs KCRP

P3D maintains terrain.cfg in the Program Data area, and has been doing that for some time now.

hmm..could  you please give me the entire folder directory location?

LOL. Well you learn something new every day. Wish I'd known that before I bought a second version my other system.

Vic

I asked them if I purchase two license under one user id, would that create a problem (I was going to do that) and that's when they told me that one license can be used upto Two PCs. :)

Manny

hmm..could you please give me the entire folder directory location?

Well, it's kinda easy. Open Program Data and you'll see Lockheed Martin. Open that and you'll see Prepar3D v3. Open that and you find the file you are looking for.

Dan Downs KCRP

Well, it's kinda easy. Open Program Data and you'll see Lockheed Martin.

Thanks Dan.

Dang,. I am getting old..I used the search option to look for terrain.cfg and did not find it.

OK..I checked the terrain.cfg in my current PC and the new PC and they seem to be almost identical.. so I am good

Manny

Dang,. I am getting old..I used the search option to look for terrain.cfg and did not find it.

I know what you mean.... I've done so many head slaps I am bald.

Dan Downs KCRP

I posted this at LM forum and they told me that we have two activation or we can activate it in two PCs with one license and I just activated my second PC P3D and it worked!

I didn't have to uninstall or deactivate it from the old PC

:smile:

I thought the dual license concession applied only to the subscription Developer edition.

Is that what you have?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.