Sign in to follow this  
vgbaron

Windows 10 upgrade horror story

Talk about frustration - I decided to finally upgrade my W7 flight system to w10 so, last Saturday I did same. Could not have been more pleased - the in-place upgrade took about an hour and everything worked as expected. Happy camper time!

Then, on Sunday, since I had upgraded to W10 Home Premium, I decided that I had a spare Windows 8.1 Pro license that I could use to upgrade W10 Home to W10 Pro. Checked the MS website and found you could just enter a MS supplied generic update key, the W10 pro would download and install and you enter your qualifying W8 key and be good to go. 

So, I entered the key, download started and installation started and got to 96% - and that's where it stayed - after 30 minutes I had to reboot. Had to restart the whole process - same result.

So I contacted MS and they called me back - a man named Ayush located in India - great connection and good command of the English language - that was at 11:30am local time - I have to say that he tried everything I would have and came up with a few command line commands that I had never heard of. We downloaded iso's and tried installing from them - he reset activations - he tried "secret" keys - at 5:30pm his shift ended. Of course, at this time we had reached a point where my system would not boot into the OS at all.

Left it with him that he would call me back tonight at 5pm local time.

Now, the good part - after I hung up, I took a deep breath and reinstalled the W7 backup of the boot drive so I was back to Friday nite.

Started the upgrade to W10 Home again - went through just as quickly as first time and all was well - immediately after upgrade went to ms store and purchased an upgrade to w10 pro - it installed and booted up just fine, thank you very much!

So I now have W10 Pro running happily along.

Bottom line - ALWAYS back up and I have to give an A to the MS TS guy even though he didn't resolve the issue. Somethiing on my system got screwed up in the first install and flat out blocked further processing.

Overall, I like W10 with P3D so far - had to download a beta driver for Saitek X52 and uninstall the nVidia driver that MS decided I should have but other than that - all seems well now.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Wow Vic,  Sounds like a long night was had,  Glad your all sorted now though.

Bottom line - ALWAYS back up

Very True 

Glad you got your W10 running. Once it works it works fine so you should be trouble free now.

I am super vigilant with backing up, I have a mirror backup, plus cloud and weekly backups stored in a fire resistant safe. Three locations is best because if you lose one you still have two.

Matthew Kane

I tried to update my W7 to W10, but installer said that my 8 years old i7 is too old, so installation cannot proceed ...  :sad:

Artur 

I moved to W10 couple months ago. Bad decision, nothing worked. Had to get a computer guy to wipe the HD and start over with W7 - and reinstall a HUGE bunch of stuff. Am sticking with W7 as I can't see that W10 would be better fit for me.

The feeling of no-man's land. Between two OS's. Your PC is useless and nothing can be accessed if your life depended on it. Not to mention the mountain ahead of you to get P3D to just the way you liked it. Horror for sure.

Having said that, I switched to W10x64 and am quite happy now.

So far so good. W10 and P3D seem quite happy together.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

vgbaron, on 28 Jul 2016 - 4:44 PM, said:

So far so good. W10 and P3D seem quite happy together.

Glad you're back up and running. I've yet to have any sim related issues thus far.

My only niggle, and its something that started with Win7 and has carried over to my Win10 update is sometimes my sound services will not start and I therefore have no sound. It can be fine for weeks and then it does it several times (boots) in a row. I've tried everything and am stumped :/

Make sure you turn off all the default Microsoft Bloatware it made my windows 10 experience much better with it off.

Also I ended up having to do a clean install the next day after the upgrade from 7 as my whole system crashed and wouldn't boot into Wndows at first I was mad but I gained 20gb on my SSD from the clean install vs the upgrade plus windows was faster

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Make sure you turn off all the default Microsoft Bloatware it made my windows 10 experience much better with it off

There are a few programs around to turn off all the bloat and rubbish, along with the so called MS spy ware, all of which no doubt do the same thing. I'm using Win10 Wizard personally and it seems to do the job.

My only niggle, and its something that started with Win7 and has carried over to my Win10 update is sometimes my sound services will not start and I therefore have no sound. It can be fine for weeks and then it does it several times (boots) in a row. I've tried everything and am stumped :/

I've had that happen - try opening device manager and rescan for new hardware - that would re-enable it for me. If it works, it's faster than rebooting.  :)

Vic

I've had that happen - try opening device manager and rescan for new hardware - that would re-enable it for me. If it works, it's faster than rebooting. :)

Indeed, I've tried that Vic, along with stopping and re-starting the audio service, but to no avail. Even reinstalling driver has no affect; it seems a random event that leaves me baffled :unknw: It can go weeks with no problem, and then bang!!! no audio :Shocked:

I tried to update my W7 to W10, but installer said that my 8 years old i7 is too old, so installation cannot proceed

That's strange; I still have Core2 Duo and I had no trouble installing the Win10 upgrade. I did have a BSOD problem running Win10 (system thread exception not handled) but seem now to have solved it.

Dugald Walker

I tried Win10 on one of my systems for about three months. It was a bit to get used to and I was almost OK with it but one day I had a problem with menus that seemed to have just disappeared. The entire 'settings' menu simply didn't exist anymore. All of the links to bring it up did nothing. I finally decided to search my system and I typed a few things into the search bar and found a menu that allowed to me to at least get online but then there was no evidence of Windows Update and no way to update. I shut down for the day and the next day my menus were back but I decided that if Win10 can just lose its menus then I'd rather go back to Win7. At least it works.

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

The problem, of course, is that 95% of all Windows 7 users don't have a backup and don't even know what a backup is...never mind how to do one. How many times has it been said that if it ain't broke don't fix it....."upgrading" to Windows 10 is a totally useless exercise for almost all Windows 7 users. Eventually we'll all be forced to dump our current OS (remember many, many users are still running XP) but until then all I can say is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Just MHO.........

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.