Sign in to follow this  
sd_flyer

My new GTX 1080 ran out of memory

Did a trial flight with Majestic Dash 8 KPSP-KSEA. All sliders to the right, except shadows. Full ORBX package with default ORBX KSEA, and ASN16+Clouds.. P3D crashed on 5 mile final over Seattle scenery. Obviously 8 gigs of video memory not enough :)

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

The card memory has nothing to do with the crash! FSX and P3D are both 32bit so they can't use any more the 4GB. You could have a 50GB video card and you will get the same result. Maxing out the sliders caused the OOM crash. Not the card.

• Upvote 5

Very much doubt that was because of maxed VRAM. 

Then you should doubt LM message box as well since it stated upon exit that P3D ran out of memory

The card memory has nothing to do with the crash! FSX and P3D are both 32bit so they can't use any more the 4GB. You could have a 50GB video card and you will get the same result. Maxing out the sliders caused the OOM crash. Not the card.

That kind of sucks I have memory but can use it :(

DIsable PNW and try again. This always works for me

I can't kill my eye candy. Gotta back up on sliders.

By the way since P3D was not freshly installed with new video card would it make sense to do something with shaders? Renew them perhaps?

Then you should doubt LM message box as well since it stated upon exit that P3D ran out of memory

You ran out of Virtual Address Space, not VRAM.

Cheers!

Luke

• Upvote 2

That kind of sucks I have memory but can use it

Yes you can.

Just keep adding monitors to your system and you will eventually use up all your 8 GB of VRAM.

But your crash was probable due to to lack of VAS (Virtual Address Space) which has nothing to do with VRAM.

gb.

You ran out of Virtual Address Space, not VRAM.

Cheers!

Luke

So is it OS fault then?

Yes you can.

Just keep adding monitors to your system and you will eventually use up all your 8 GB of VRAM.

But your crash was probable due to to lack of VAS (Virtual Address Space) which has nothing to do with VRAM.

gb.

In other words, no hardware can manage full load LM graphics  + ORBX?

So is it OS fault then?

In other words, no hardware can manage full load LM graphics + ORBX?

No, it's the fault of P3D being a 32 bit application, same as FSX and FS9, although P3D can make better use of the allocation, it's still 32 bit.

You've been here since 2011 and I would think that in reading the forums you would know the limitations of 32 bit sim as it's almost discussed daily here.

• Upvote 3

Yeah, as mentioned a few times now, this has nothing to do with VRAM. Nor the OS's RAM management. This is the application's virtual address space, nothing else. 

In other words, no hardware can manage full load LM graphics + ORBX?

Correct.

If it is still unclear, the memory in question, that P3D ran out of, is not the VRAM soldered on your GTX 1080. It is the RAM inside your computer, the memory "sticks" on your motherboard. As the others have stated, P3D is based on a technology can only make use of 4 GByte of that RAM (so don't bother buying additional RAM modules with P3D in mind if you already have 8 GByte or more in there). If the P3D program needs more RAM than those 4 GByte to display additional objects, clouds, aircraft etc. it will produce the aforementioned error message.

Did a trial flight with Majestic Dash 8 KPSP-KSEA. All sliders to the right, except shadows. Full ORBX package with default ORBX KSEA, and ASN16+Clouds.

As a rule of thumb, never fly a complex aircraft onto a full-fat Orbx region. When flying PMDG or Majestic it's more sensible to use FTX Global.

As others have said, its not your card.

One can monitor the GPU with GPU-Z a freeware tool very well. I doubt that your card run out of memory.

Spirit

That was actually funny.

I laughed out loud to the extent my wife asked me what I was laughing at!

• Upvote 1

That was actually funny.

I laughed out loud to the extent my wife asked me what I was laughing at!

Ditto!

By the by...I have a 1080 and can't make it even come close to using all the VRAM with multi monitors and the main one @ 4K!

Peace!

Obviously 8 gigs of video memory not enough

This issue is a limitation of 32bit executable that is Prepar3D ... LM continue to work hard to move the platform forward, stay tuned.

pimped up a bit by LM  with some virtual rouge lipstick in the form of water and  fog

Pete King, your comments are not appreciated (nor accurate) ... considerable work by many very intelligent and skilled software engineers of different disciplines have been working on P3D over the last few years to bring the ESP platform forward and into a position with a good strong future.  How would you like it if people trivialized your job as some guy that just talks into a microphone all day?

I'm assuming your comment was in good fun, but please be aware there are real humans behind the scenes who work rather tirelessly to bring something very complex to those that wish to participate in simulated flight.

Cheers, Rob.

• Upvote 6

Obviously the first thought when you see a message about running out of "memory" is to try and figure out how to add more memory. Unfortunately, as stated before, and unlike most other simulators available now, P3D can only use 4 GB of memory (actually, 4 GB of virtual address space)

PCI-Express videocards don't really run out of memory, either. If a program uses more video memory than available, it will automatically begin to use system RAM. This causes a massive performance drop, but doesn't produce any error messages.

So there are still people out there who don't know the difference between VAS and VRAM?

Yes, an there are still people out there who thinks that all memory issues will be eliminated just by moving to 64-bit.

So there are still people out there who don't know the difference between VAS and VRAM?

There are even still people out that are obviously not aware that modern graphics cards do not have any longer any VRAM on board, instead GDDR of a certain generation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_RAM_(dual-ported_DRAM)

Just to say... :wink:

I know its a bloody disgrace. These people should be ashamed of themselves, and we must do everything to make them feel like the simpletons they are  :unknw: 

.... or it could be politely explained, so they gain a better understanding, without being made to feel small :fool:

• Upvote 2

Talking about VAS or not VAS  The error message stated "your computer ran out of available memory" it didn't go to any specific details. Go tell LM to write more descriptive message before education people about VRAM or VAS.

P.S.I owned my first computer at the time when every decent user used to write specific autoexec.bat and config.sys for each game they own. So don't agitate me with you contemporary junk  :P

There are even still people out that are obviously not aware that modern graphics cards do not have any longer any VRAM on board, instead GDDR of a certain generation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_RAM_(dual-ported_DRAM)

Just to say... :wink:

The term VRAM is still valid, it stands for Video RAM, it has nothing to do about the with the specs of the RAM. It's a term. GDDR is the type of RAM used on most modern graphics card and stands for Graphics DDR memory.