Sign in to follow this  
sd_flyer

My new GTX 1080 ran out of memory

Did a trial flight with Majestic Dash 8 KPSP-KSEA. All sliders to the right, except shadows. Full ORBX package with default ORBX KSEA, and ASN16+Clouds.. P3D crashed on 5 mile final over Seattle scenery. Obviously 8 gigs of video memory not enough :)

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Very much doubt that was because of maxed VRAM. 

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

The card memory has nothing to do with the crash! FSX and P3D are both 32bit so they can't use any more the 4GB. You could have a 50GB video card and you will get the same result. Maxing out the sliders caused the OOM crash. Not the card.

• Upvote 5

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

What he said. Not possible.

• Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

DIsable PNW and try again. This always works for me

Troy Kemp

Win 11 64 Pro on 1TB nvme + 500GB ssd  / P3Dv5.3+ on 1TB nvme+ 250GB with P3D addons / MS2020 2TB nvme /I9 13900K@ 5.8ghz / 32GB DDR4 3600mhz / MSI MPG Z690 DDR4 with wifi / RTX 4090FE

Very much doubt that was because of maxed VRAM. 

Then you should doubt LM message box as well since it stated upon exit that P3D ran out of memory

The card memory has nothing to do with the crash! FSX and P3D are both 32bit so they can't use any more the 4GB. You could have a 50GB video card and you will get the same result. Maxing out the sliders caused the OOM crash. Not the card.

That kind of sucks I have memory but can use it :(

DIsable PNW and try again. This always works for me

I can't kill my eye candy. Gotta back up on sliders.

By the way since P3D was not freshly installed with new video card would it make sense to do something with shaders? Renew them perhaps?

Then you should doubt LM message box as well since it stated upon exit that P3D ran out of memory

You ran out of Virtual Address Space, not VRAM.

Cheers!

Luke

• Upvote 2

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

That kind of sucks I have memory but can use it

Yes you can.

Just keep adding monitors to your system and you will eventually use up all your 8 GB of VRAM.

But your crash was probable due to to lack of VAS (Virtual Address Space) which has nothing to do with VRAM.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

You ran out of Virtual Address Space, not VRAM.

Cheers!

Luke

So is it OS fault then?

Yes you can.

Just keep adding monitors to your system and you will eventually use up all your 8 GB of VRAM.

But your crash was probable due to to lack of VAS (Virtual Address Space) which has nothing to do with VRAM.

gb.

In other words, no hardware can manage full load LM graphics  + ORBX?

So is it OS fault then?

In other words, no hardware can manage full load LM graphics + ORBX?

No, it's the fault of P3D being a 32 bit application, same as FSX and FS9, although P3D can make better use of the allocation, it's still 32 bit.

You've been here since 2011 and I would think that in reading the forums you would know the limitations of 32 bit sim as it's almost discussed daily here.

• Upvote 3

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Yeah, as mentioned a few times now, this has nothing to do with VRAM. Nor the OS's RAM management. This is the application's virtual address space, nothing else. 

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Do a search on OOM and VAS on this forum. You will find a lot of information.

A comprehensive view has been given by PMDG: http://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/a108/vas-management-stopping-out-of-memory-oom-errors.aspx

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

In other words, no hardware can manage full load LM graphics + ORBX?

Correct.

If it is still unclear, the memory in question, that P3D ran out of, is not the VRAM soldered on your GTX 1080. It is the RAM inside your computer, the memory "sticks" on your motherboard. As the others have stated, P3D is based on a technology can only make use of 4 GByte of that RAM (so don't bother buying additional RAM modules with P3D in mind if you already have 8 GByte or more in there). If the P3D program needs more RAM than those 4 GByte to display additional objects, clouds, aircraft etc. it will produce the aforementioned error message.

LORBY-SI

Did a trial flight with Majestic Dash 8 KPSP-KSEA. All sliders to the right, except shadows. Full ORBX package with default ORBX KSEA, and ASN16+Clouds.

As a rule of thumb, never fly a complex aircraft onto a full-fat Orbx region. When flying PMDG or Majestic it's more sensible to use FTX Global.

As others have said, its not your card.

One can monitor the GPU with GPU-Z a freeware tool very well. I doubt that your card run out of memory.

Spirit