Sign in to follow this  
sd_flyer

My new GTX 1080 ran out of memory

That was actually funny.

I laughed out loud to the extent my wife asked me what I was laughing at!

• Upvote 1

That was actually funny.

I laughed out loud to the extent my wife asked me what I was laughing at!

Ditto!

By the by...I have a 1080 and can't make it even come close to using all the VRAM with multi monitors and the main one @ 4K!

Peace!

Obviously 8 gigs of video memory not enough

This issue is a limitation of 32bit executable that is Prepar3D ... LM continue to work hard to move the platform forward, stay tuned.

pimped up a bit by LM  with some virtual rouge lipstick in the form of water and  fog

Pete King, your comments are not appreciated (nor accurate) ... considerable work by many very intelligent and skilled software engineers of different disciplines have been working on P3D over the last few years to bring the ESP platform forward and into a position with a good strong future.  How would you like it if people trivialized your job as some guy that just talks into a microphone all day?

I'm assuming your comment was in good fun, but please be aware there are real humans behind the scenes who work rather tirelessly to bring something very complex to those that wish to participate in simulated flight.

Cheers, Rob.

Obviously the first thought when you see a message about running out of "memory" is to try and figure out how to add more memory. Unfortunately, as stated before, and unlike most other simulators available now, P3D can only use 4 GB of memory (actually, 4 GB of virtual address space)

PCI-Express videocards don't really run out of memory, either. If a program uses more video memory than available, it will automatically begin to use system RAM. This causes a massive performance drop, but doesn't produce any error messages.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

So there are still people out there who don't know the difference between VAS and VRAM?

So there are still people out there who don't know the difference between VAS and VRAM?

There are even still people out that are obviously not aware that modern graphics cards do not have any longer any VRAM on board, instead GDDR of a certain generation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_RAM_(dual-ported_DRAM)

Just to say... :wink:

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

I know its a bloody disgrace. These people should be ashamed of themselves, and we must do everything to make them feel like the simpletons they are  :unknw: 

.... or it could be politely explained, so they gain a better understanding, without being made to feel small :fool:

• Upvote 2

Talking about VAS or not VAS  The error message stated "your computer ran out of available memory" it didn't go to any specific details. Go tell LM to write more descriptive message before education people about VRAM or VAS.

P.S.I owned my first computer at the time when every decent user used to write specific autoexec.bat and config.sys for each game they own. So don't agitate me with you contemporary junk  :P

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

There are even still people out that are obviously not aware that modern graphics cards do not have any longer any VRAM on board, instead GDDR of a certain generation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_RAM_(dual-ported_DRAM)

Just to say... :wink:

The term VRAM is still valid, it stands for Video RAM, it has nothing to do about the with the specs of the RAM. It's a term. GDDR is the type of RAM used on most modern graphics card and stands for Graphics DDR memory.

I know that it is used as a term, but this does not make it more right, no? The problem is, that even so called "experts" from hardware magazines misuse the term "VRAM". It is per definition (as my wiki-link shows, but also here: http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/vram) only valid for a very specific type of RAM used on graphics cards some decades ago. And it is NOT the same as GDDR (which you explained correctly).

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Stepping into the flightsim world can be very intimidating and there are new joiners all the time. Most newcomers more than likely know very little about the principles of flight/aircraft operations not to mention the complexities of how PC components interact with flightsim software.

I did a count of how many individual pieces of software I have installed/plugged into P3D. 58 in total and increasing all the time. There will always be people who don't know some of the things that has taken most of us here YEARS to learn.

P.S.I owned my first computer at the time when every decent user used to write specific autoexec.bat and config.sys for each game they own. So don't agitate me with you contemporary junk :P

It obviously didn't help much.

Spirit

What is PNW please?

FTX/Orbx Pacific Northwest Region. 

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10