Sign in to follow this  
captain420

FTX Southern California extreme slugginess in P3D

Anyone else also experience slugginess running with FTX Global, FTX Vector, FTX openLC, FTX Southern California Region, FSDT KLAX, Active Sky Next, REX TD & Soft Clouds and PMDG 777 with Prepar3D?

Even with normal moderate settings in P3D, this area is extremely slow. I'm wondering what will make the FTX Southern California region faster to fly in. I'm wondering if its because of the combination of all the add-ons in this area, or just some of the add-ons?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I have everything in that list and found that my framerate would take a tremendous hit near the Long Beach/Santa Ana area.... I also have LatinVFR KSNA John Wayne and it is very nice but the photoscenery was the problem.  There are seven of them photo.bgl's that I turned into bgl.OFF and problem solved. No problem with the Orbx or FSDT products.

Dan Downs KCRP

I get a tremendous hit when starting off at KLAX... especially when using PMDG 777. Sucks, because I really wanted to fly around this area. I think its the combination of the scenery with PMDG aircrafts that's making it slow. I haven't tried with other planes yet.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I have what you have and do not have a problem going into or out of KLAX in the 777.  Be sure to check in the Orbx Forum in the Compatibility section, and review the recommendations they have for FTX NA SCA especially for FSDT KLAX.

Dan Downs KCRP

I have what you have and do not have a problem going into or out of KLAX in the 777.  Be sure to check in the Orbx Forum in the Compatibility section, and review the recommendations they have for FTX NA SCA especially for FSDT KLAX.

It kind of depends on what you consider a "problem." If you're happy with 18-20 fps and that's what you're getting, well, it's not a problem, but if you're used to 40+ everywhere else it's kind of jarring.

I don't have the 777 for P3D but I can definitely confirm that the KLAX/LA basin area with OrbX SoCal performs REALLY poorly.

See...http://www.avsim.com/topic/492403-stutters-on-final-its-getting-annoying/?p=3458130

And my FTX SCA unchecked in scenery.cfg.

So start with that!

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

If flying PMDG jets, disable the boats, docks, powerlines, cranes, and towers for FTX SOCAL in FTX CENTRAL. Fixed the FPS problems for me. I use PMDG NGX, FSDT KLAX, and FTX SOCAL.

If flying PMDG jets, disable the boats, docks, powerlines, cranes, and towers for FTX SOCAL in FTX CENTRAL. Fixed the FPS problems for me. I use PMDG NGX, FSDT KLAX, and FTX SOCAL.

In other words, cripple SCA? How bot the photorealistic inserts?

...what's the point of SCA....don't get me wrong...I use it...but what you ask requires the assiduous use of something like SIMstarter, cause I enjoy sight seeing VFR flight with SCA.

Chas

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

There is not an option to disable photoreal inserts in FTX Central. For airliners, I don't even notice the absence of powerlines, cranes, or windmills since, I climb high and quick. However, for GA, I usually turn them on and get a solid 25fps without stutters in the LAX area with A2A T6 at FSDT KLAX. I don't use Simstarter, but I do use scenery configuration editor to disable what I do not use on any particular flight. It is an extremely easy program to use and only takes a few seconds. Also, all of my addon airports have been optimized using the free texture optimizer. My hardware is similar to yours. Using a new GTX 1080 and i7 6700k OC'd to 4.6.

http://www.theskylounge.tv/forums/topic/1031-optimizer-textures-guide/

Cheers,

Rob

There is not an option to disable photoreal inserts in FTX Central. ...I don't use Simstarter, but I do use scenery configuration editor to disable what I do not use on any particular flight. ... Also, all of my addon airports have been optimized using the free texture optimizer. ...http://www.theskylounge.tv/forums/topic/1031-optimizer-textures-guide/

Cheers,

Rob

Really good post Rob!

Now maybe you would like to do a little mini tutorial on the Texture optimizer on YouTube? Cmonnnn...you know we would love it...you know you wanna...soooo? Whacha waitin' fer?

Regards,

Chas

SCA crushes my perf too.  It's about 50% worse than NCA.  My comparison is just a guess no measurements taken.  But this is between SFO harbor areas and LAX harbor areas.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Do you ever wonder what kind of machines Orbx tests on?....and the beta testers....do they all have Rob's rigs?

Cheers,

Chas

I think they all have high performance rigs hehe.  Mine used to be, but ye ole Sandy Bridge is showing its age.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Also, all of my addon airports have been optimized using the free texture optimizer.

I used this tool back in my FSX days and it did great help to improve performance. Now you suggest to also use it for addon sceneries in Prepar3d v3.3, am I correct? You did not see any drawback, for example for sceneries using all the new Prepar3d SDK techniques? If no, I will certainly give this tool another go, as more performance on bigger airports is always a plus.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

I used this tool back in my FSX days and it did great help to improve performance. Now you suggest to also use it for addon sceneries in Prepar3d v3.3, am I correct? You did not see any drawback, for example for sceneries using all the new Prepar3d SDK techniques? If no, I will certainly give this tool another go, as more performance on bigger airports is always a plus.

Yes, I've used it in P3D v3.3. I've optimized all of my airports. I have not optimized the ORBX regions or Global line products yet. Has worked really well for me. Haven't noticed any difference in the quality of my sceneries. I've used it on FB, FSDT, FT, and ORBX airports.

Really good post Rob!

Now maybe you would like to do a little mini tutorial on the Texture optimizer on YouTube? Cmonnnn...you know we would love it...you know you wanna...soooo? Whacha waitin' fer?

Regards,

Chas

I don't have a youtube account, but the link I posted has all of the instructions you need. It is super easy to do and only took me a few minutes.

Also, I do not use any AI traffic and have my autogen buildings and autogen vegetation at the notch just below max.

• Upvote 1