Sign in to follow this  
jfri

Clean install really necessary ?

I have made an usb stick with Win 10 with the tool dedicated for that. First can I not simply wait to use it  or must I actually install W10 before July 29 (to get it free)?

And if I really must perform the W10 install can I simply not try avoiding a clean install like this. Try to upgrade my current W7 and if I there are some problems then perform a clean reinstall of Win 10 ?

On my other computer I did an upgrade and experienced no problem with that although I didn't have any flight sim or games on it. Has anybody tried a simple upgrade on their flight sim system and having it work without problems ?

Nope...but I say that only with my suggestion that you have all your equipment hot and running as W10, writes the driver files... :)

I ran the W10 installer, and after it was all over, came to my Desktop...just as I left it, in W7.  Everything works...everything...no need to clean install your system.

I ran into a bunch of problems with some addons, problems that were unfixable. Avliasoft EFB and some other addons just wouldn't work anymore period. No amount of uninstalling and reinstalling would fix it. Did a clean install and had no issues since.

I ran into a bunch of problems with some addons, problems that were unfixable. Avliasoft EFB and some other addons just wouldn't work anymore period. No amount of uninstalling and reinstalling would fix it. Did a clean install and had no issues since.

As conjecture, did not do a clean install, and everything ran post W10.

I'd run with an overlap install first, before seeing if a clean system O.S. install had to be warranted.  Hours of install, and registration hunting, could be spared, the User.

That would be my first choice of a Modus Operandi.

I can add another vote to trying to do an upgrade first. Not to say that in some cases a clean install hasn't been needed - it clearly has for some people. I personally seemed to have also won the upgrade 'lottery', my upgrade from W7 Pro went flawlessly, and I have yet to find anything that doesn't work exactly how it should.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Ditto, my upgrade went very well (this NEVER happens for me...) and only took a couple of hours, mostly unattended.

Do the upgrade (just check you don't have the ORBX TODO file first), if it goes wrong you've still got a couple of days for a clean install.

If the upgrade works and activates then even if you decide later that things are broken you can do a reset from within Windows 10 that is the same as a clean install and your license has already been activated so no worries about date.

Cheers

Keith

Ditto, my upgrade went very well (this NEVER happens for me...) and only took a couple of hours, mostly unattended.

Do the upgrade (just check you don't have the ORBX TODO file first), if it goes wrong you've still got a couple of days for a clean install.

If the upgrade works and activates then even if you decide later that things are broken you can do a reset from within Windows 10 that is the same as a clean install and your license has already been activated so no worries about date.

Cheers

Keith

I had such a ORBX TODO file which I deleted. Then I upgraded. And so far I only have encountered one problem. Flight Sim Labs Concorde doesn't work. I get a message window saying Error loading civac.gau ensure proper installation of Civa INS v 1.51. A known problem ?

I had such a ORBX TODO file which I deleted. Then I upgraded. And so far I only have encountered one problem. Flight Sim Labs Concorde doesn't work. I get a message window saying Error loading civac.gau ensure proper installation of Civa INS v 1.51. A known problem ?

Dunno, but if that is your only problem...you came out smelling like a rose! :)

I have upgrade (not a clean install), of a 6 year old laptop, an AIO PC and two FLightsim desktops.  All with years of junk (oops I mean apps, utilities, etc.), and every one has been a smooth upgrade.  I only have found one app not working correctly so far.  Actually, it's a batch file that is not sim related so I am pretty impressed.

Now that I have been running Win10 for awhile I like it. I have been able to reinstall Windows gadgets and Windows Media Center which aren't even available for Win10 and they both work great.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

I also did an upgrade from win 7 to win 10, not a clean install. So far no problems at all. P3Dv3, ActiveSky, ORBX FTX England, and several addon aeroplanes, and everything working flawlessly.

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

Dunno, but if that is your only problem...you came out smelling like a rose! :)

Actually that problem was solved. So as I can see now no problem at all regarding flightsimming. Only confirmed problem a chess program Chess Master is not compatible and no workaround worked.