light_blue_yonder

ASUS G752VY i7-6700HQ Performance

Hello folks,

I just recently bought an ASUS G752VY and have these specs:

i7-6700HQ @ 2.60Ghz, but pretty much always run at 3.2Ghz

Nvidia GTX 980M

32GB RAM

Windows 10 64-bit

Now, this isn't top line, I know. I just want to know if this is normal and maybe get some suggestions.

I was running PMDG 777, Orbx Global + Vector at FSDT CYVR with Orbx Weather 5. Here are my settings in FSX:

LOD Radius: Large (untweaked)

Mesh Complexity: 60

Mesh Resolution: 2m (for 3D taxiway etc.)

Texture Resolution: 15cm (for 3D taxiway etc.)

Water Effects: High 2.x (for use with Bufferpools)

Land Detail Textures: ticked

Scenery Complexity: Normal

Autogen Density: Sparse

Special Effects Details: High

Clouds draw to 60mi and at maximum detailed coverage.

With all that, I was getting 15 fps sitting still and 8 fps rotating, is that normal? Am I missing something? Also, I read that the 6700HQ cannot be overclocked, is that true? I'm an amateur at hardware, but from videos I saw, my fps just isn't what it's suppose to be for a CPU running at 3.2 Ghz consistently.

Thanks for the help!

Haoning Qu

Hi Jim,

You are correct, this is not top of the line... and loading it up with demanding addons does not help.

How does it perform with a default airplane at a default airport?

You did not say anything about traffic settings - try reducing them all to zero and go to clear skies..

Bert

No traffic, I knew this system can't handle the traffic on top of what I need which is reasonably accurate terrain.

Same setting, default Trike at Friday Harbour, default fair weather runs at around 50 fps.

Haoning Qu

I just cannot think of what caused the 8 fps drop. Is it because I'm moving? Because as I move faster before rotate, the frames steadily drop until I lift off when it returns to about 10/11 fps. The 16 pretty much never comes back, the best over land with Orbx was 13 fps. I would've expected more from 3.2 Ghz... Am I right in assuming that way?

Haoning Qu

Once your system cannot handle the load (less than 30 fps) all bets are off..

3.2 GHz is not state of the art with most new systems running at 4GHz+

Bert

Hi
I have the same Notebook.
Switch off Nvidia G-Sync, that should solve the problem.
It seems FSX, FSX:SE and P3D work not correctly with Nvidia G-Sync.

Also, what kind of fps improvement am I looking at? I'm not expecting magical fps leap, but every frame helps. If anyone has a tweak that works in bring up some frames with a low end system, please share them if possible.

Haoning Qu

Something else I should mention, in the Nvidia control panel, it just says "Laptop Display" it didn't have "(G-SYNC Capable)". Does that mean I don't have any G-SYNC to turn off? I thought this model supported G-SYNC.

Haoning Qu

Changed PhysX processing to the GTX 980M instead of the CPU, but only got 0-1 frame, which makes it an unconfirmed improvement.

FSX does not use PhysX at all so that will make no difference.

Something else I should mention, in the Nvidia control panel, it just says "Laptop Display" it didn't have "(G-SYNC Capable)". Does that mean I don't have any G-SYNC to turn off? I thought this model supported G-SYNC.

It's in the specs for that model. Gota be there somewhere.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Well, in Germany all G75VY have a G-SYNC display, but I think there are problems between the Intel onbord grafik, because in my case,  the GPU was only working with 30%.

But for me, switching off  G-SYNC in Nvidia control panel solved the problem.

I will do some tests in the next days, maybe I can help you ( or not) ?

But for me, switching off  G-SYNC in Nvidia control panel solved the problem.

How do you do that? I just cannot find any setting with the word "G-SYNC" in it anywhere.

Haoning Qu

Never mind, turned on optimized defaults in the BIOS and G-SYNC is now, there. I'll try it and report back.

I only found G-SYNC in the Setup G-SYNC tab and disabled it. Unfortunately absolutely zero fps increase. Maybe there's something else I have to disable, but unchecking the Enable G-SYNC box DID NOT provide a fps improvement. Gonna need more suggestions here.

Strangely enough, I enabled G-SYNC for windowed and fullscreen mode, it didn't make a difference, still the 15/16 fps sitting still. Do I need to restart after making a change like that? What should I do here?

Haoning Qu

Strangely enough, I enabled G-SYNC for windowed and fullscreen mode, it didn't make a difference, still the 15/16 fps sitting still. Do I need to restart after making a change like that? What should I do here?

G-Sync will not make any difference to your frame rates.

It's only meant to make whatever frame rate you have display smoother.

Also last I heard G-Sync only works with frame rates above 30.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.