Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Aerofly FS 2: Update thread

Since the updates are coming so fast and furious, I have gathered them all in one place starting with the first and ending with the most recent, to make it easier to keep track of whats being done.

Ipacs aerofly  [developer] May 19 @ 9:15am

[Official] Aerofly FS 2 Flight Simulator released as Early Access

Dear Aerofly FS 2 users,

We are happy to announce that our Flight Simulator Aerofly FS 2 is finally available here on Steam as an Early Access title.

Aerofly FS 2 should run stable and reliable, but we might have overseen a bug here and there. In this case, please be patient with us. Report the bug to us and explain as detailed as possible how to reproduce it, we will try to fix issues as fast as possible.

We hopy you enjoy flying with Aerofly FS 2.

So what can you expect from the Early Access Aerofly FS 2?

We have a few points on our list that we would like to add within the coming month. Note that these are just planned features, there is always a chance that those feature might not make it into the final product, but we try to do our best. Here are some of our features:

• Tools for 3rd party developers to add airplanes and airports
  • Full controller support so you can use the Steam Big Picture mode
  • More airplanes
  • More airports and regions
  • Support for VR devices like Vive and Occulus
  • Flight presets
  • Support for Saitek control panels ( maybe also support for Saitek Flight Display )

Some features did not make it into the Early Access version yet, they include:
  • Higher level autopilot modes like Flight Level Change, Managed Modes, Lateral and Vertical navigation. You can select some of these modes on some aircraft, but don't expect these to be working correctly or at all.
  • Autotuning and VHF frequency selection for A320, B747, Learjet 45 and King Air
Last edited by ipacs aerofly; May 19 @ 9:16am

........................................................................................................................................................................................

ipacs aerofly  [developer] Jun 3 @ 7:14am
[Official] Aerofly FS 2 roadmap during Early Access

Dear Aerofly users,

First of all, thank you very much for all the feedback and ideas, you have provided to us. As we see, the wishes are numerous and each user has its own priorities. It is a challenging task for us to come up with a good road-map to please everybody.

The near future will bring the following main features to Aerofly FS 2:

DONE: Higher resolution textures for aerial images

DONE: SDK. The initial version of the SDK will offer the following features:

- An option to read simulation data via DLL or network

- A possibility to send back data into the simulation, e.g. control inputs.

- Tools and converters so you can add your own objects and airports to Aerofly

Improved usability of airliners, e.g. LNAV, VNAV, auto tuning, radio navigation

From all the Emails we have received a good ATC module also has high priority on our side. This ATC module will most likely go through many iterations.

Of course this list is not exhaustive, so expect to see more features, where we haven't decided yet on the exact priority, like more system complexity, improved graphics, complex weather simulation and so on.

Besides those major points, we will in parallel work on other things like, Saitek support, Virtual Reality, new airplanes and airports, basically things that don't bind too many resources.

Please understand that we cannot give you exact dates. Experience has shown that it is difficult to estimate times to implement complex features like ATC.

Thanks again for supporting Aerofly FS 2.

Last edited by ipacs aerofly; Jun 23 @ 10:09am

..........................................................................................................................................................................................

ipacs aerofly  [developer] Jun 23 @ 11:02am

[Official] Aerofly FS 2 Scenery SDK for evaluation

We have finished an initial version of our scenery SDK for Aerofly FS 2.

Anybody seriously interested in creating airports or new scenery objects for Aerofly FS 2 and who has access to either 3D Studio Max 2010, 2012 or 2016 or Cinema 4D R17 may contact us for an evaluation of the SDK. Drop us an Email at mail (at) ipacs.de along with some information on why you intend to develop sceneries for Aerofly FS 2.

............................................................................................................................................................................

ipacs aerofly  [developer] Jul 22 @ 11:45am

[Official] Aerofly FS 2 major update with VR and LNAV/VNAV support

Dear Aerofly users,

We have just published a major update into the Beta channel of Steam. Since we made lots of changes, we will leave it in Beta for now, until we have had enough feedback from you.

To check out the Beta version of Aerofly FS 2 do the following

• Right click on Aerofly FS 2 in your Steam Library and choose 'Properties'
  • From the properties window select the tab titled "Betas". From this page select the applicable beta from the drop-down menu. If you've previously opted into a beta you can opt out by selecting the menu option.

Here is a list of changes:

• Preliminary support for Oculus Rift and HTC Vive. Please note, this is a very early implementation. Also keep in mind to use a very fast 3D graphic card.
  • Added buttons to show/hide navaids, airports and waypoints on map in location and navigation menu
  • Added button to position airplane at start of route in location and navigation menu
  • Added button to center map on aircraft position
  • Added button to center map on route
  • Added current route is displayed on location menu map
  • Added aircraft equipped with LNAV/VNAV can fly the planned route automatically
  • Added cockpit navigation displays show route and waypoints and time and distance to next waypoint
  • Added PFDs show tuned ILS identifier, course and distance
  • Added autotuning: airliners automatically tune navaids from route, nearby navaids and destination ILS 
  • Fixed route shows magnetic track instead of true track 
  • Added new repaints for F-18, Pitts
  • Fixed bump mapping on P-38
  • Fixed rudder assist / autorudder turned off
  • Added right mouse button to pull knobs in cockpit
  • Added navigation guides for route (enable/disable with approach guides)
  • Fixed auto spoiler retract when applying full throttle in all aircraft
  • Added A320 ECAM pages: engines, electrics, hydraulics, fuel, wheels, flight controls (other pages are not completed yet) 
  • Added A320 automatic ECAM switching and manual page request and page iteration
  • Work in progress A320 electric and fuel system (closing fuel valves has no effect yet)
  • Added C172 full electical bus system including battery and alternator simulation
  • Added C172 radios and navigation instruments can be switched off (and on)
  • Added C172 turning off the master battery switch will kill all electrics and set the cockpit into a dark state
  • Work in progress C172 fuel system (closing fuel valves has no effect yet)
  • Fixed minor bugs on aircraft (landing gear cutting through doors, hidden objects, ...)
  • Added C172 added waypoints and route display to the moving map display in the cockpit
  • Added Baron58 electical system, radio stack can be turned off

.................................................................................................................................................................................................

Dear Aerofly users, 

we just publish a new update for Aerofly FS 2. We mainly addressed issues with VR and added the possibility to use the GUI with your controller only. Here is a list of changes: 

• You may now operate the cockpit with your mouse while using VR. Please experiment with it and let us know what you think. 
  • In the controls menu you may now assign keys and functions for operating the GUI, this way you can avoid using the mouse while in big picture mode or in VR. 
  • Fixed ADF receivers can tune all NDBs 
  • Added MB339 flight director

In the next updates we are going to address further VR issues. Please note, in VR the moving map is currently not working properly. Its best to turn the map off by pressing 'M'. Also the flight infobar is experimental as well, you may turn it off by pressing 'I'. 

Please also keep in mind, that if you use VR and you have set your quality settings to high, ultra or you enabled lots of clouds, you REALLY need a very fast 3D graphic card or you will notice stuttering while looking around. 

• Upvote 2

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Hmm VR support... guess I'll be buying a VR thing

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Anyone know if Saitek or GoFlight hardware is or will be usable, ever? This sim, while clearly limited in many areas, is amazingly gorgeous and the aircraft generally are a joy to fly.

I just miss using the hardware...   

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.

FANTASTIC with the pointer in cab now. Great job. MUCH better than the P3D implementation as not only is it way easier to manipulate the switches etc. but  everything in cab in terms of the panel is much more readable. Can't wait for increased complexity such as a functional FMC. You guys have really stepped up to the plate in having a progressively better and better flight sim. :Party:

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

Anyone know if Saitek or GoFlight hardware is or will be usable, ever? This sim, while clearly limited in many areas, is amazingly gorgeous and the aircraft generally are a joy to fly.

I just miss using the hardware...   

I don't know what IPACS is working on, however, the author of SPAD.neXt (https://www.fsgs.com/) is currently working on AeroflyFS2 support. This is the present state (directly from him):

• Basic SDK Implementation is done (reading values from FS2)
  • Sending Events/Axes to FS2 is currently being tested
  • FS2 SDK Implementation is fully compatible with “Standard SimConnect Programming” within SPAD.neXt, this includes that all FIP gauges will be working (if the data is available)
  • Public Release most likely not before September (due to summer vacation)

From my experience with SPAD.neXt, this should be an excellent solution where you should be able to reuse, e.g., all the gaues you bought for FSX/P3D (as far as AeroflyFS provides the data, of course) I am very grateful the author already put quite an amount of effort into this endavor, as I am badly missing my Saitek gear, too.

I am a beta tester of SPAD.neXt and will keep you posted when something generally usable will be available. 

Kind regards, Michael

• Upvote 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Great news Michael, thank you for that helpful information. Much appreciated.

All the Best,

Greg

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.

NEW UPDATE

ipacs aerofly  [developer] 21 minutes ago

Aerofly FS 2 VR support for Oculus SDK

Dear Aerofly users,

We just updated Aerofly FS 2. We now support the native Oculus SDK. Anybody using an Oculus Rift please try this version, it should have less jitter now. It would be nice if you could report back if you encounter any bugs.
  • Upvote 2

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

The Aerofly team is really open to the community and I like that.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Informational:

ipacs aerofly  [developer] 34 minutes ago 

We will soon make our SDK public as we have now gathered enough information.

It will also be a work in progress but we are sure people can already use it to add content or functionality to Aerofly. Maybe not ( YET ) like in FSX, but like we mentioned earlier, our SDK will evolve. The next major SDK step is the possibility to add custom airplanes.

We already have a few developers that seem interested, but they have to somewhat learn our way, which is eventually quicker than adding content for FSX.
  • Upvote 1

Devons rig

Thank you for the topic!

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

More great news every week since it was released!!!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Great! VR now smoooth!.  With native VR, a really great in cockpit ability with the large pointer to access switches, etc. the VR is fantastic and a huge step up from the 3rd party for P3D.

With 3rd party involvement, traffic AI, fully functional fms, etc. and fully functional cockpits, this has the ability to be truly called THE first  genuine flight sim of the 21st century with its native 64 bit. Yeah I know X-plane but no VR!!

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

The Aerofly team has been updating the sim at such a frantic rate that they are not even announcing the patches/fixes, just pushing them out like UN care packages over a devastated area. This rapid pace continued all of the last weekend, and continued into today, where yet another patch chased down some lingering glitches with the beta implementation of VR, managing to fix both Vive and Oculus support.

These guys are really really trying, and I hope the community finds room to embrace both the sim and the dedication of the team behind it. I think there could be something really good being born here!

• Upvote 1

Devons rig

Very true Devon, and it's good to have widely respected simmers among our community, like you, showing how important their investment in this platform really can be.

As another user put it, a kind of deadlock can be created, if users are waiting for better things to get implemented before they buy the game, and developers are waiting for a bigger user base to feel confortable investing in further features and complying to user requests, but truth is, so far, they have been incredible in providing support and answering user questions, and feeding us with so many updates.

I am fully adopting this platform. Still keep good-old FSX because of obvious reasons - presently there is simply no other sim yet giving me the quality of a PMDG 777 ( and the upcoming PMDG 744 and AirfoilLabs A320 ), A2A Comanche, C182 and C172, RealAir Legacy and Duke, and weather like AS16 + ASCA, but the future is bright for Aerofly FS 2, and the best news I could find one day would be to see these developers joining the ride :-)

Aerofly provides the most realistic feel of flight among the civil sims I use(d), and it actually - finally - made me forget about the useless combat sims I was spending hours in just because of the flight dynamics .

There is lot's of room for improvement and new features. but it's a small team, and we can't compare the "age" of Aerofly FS to that of the rather older brothers MSFS and X-Plane, or even Flight Gear. Users should try not to forget about this, and accept the rate at which updates are being released as a good sign of true commitment of the Devs team to make it a great flight simulation platform.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

There is lot's of room for improvement and new features. but it's a small team, and we can't compare the "age" of Aerofly FS to that of the rather older brothers MSFS and X-Plane, or even Flight Gear. Users should try not to forget about this, and accept the rate at which updates are being released as a good sign of true commitment of the Devs team to make it a great flight simulation platform.

Luckily the sim is getting excellent reviews, and that's attracted what seems to be a broad base of user types. The inclusion of VR support, along with the sheer beauty of the sim is also drawing in the Vive and Oculus crowd to provide some surely welcome interest and cash.

Taking a look at the general numbers, it seems that Flight Schools familiarity to this community as well as its very low price has drawn in a far larger number of purchasers, but I note that Aerofly Fs 2's higher price (along with the additional Switzerland scenery) has likely brought in the same if not more money to this much smaller company.

I find that very encouraging, as well as very much deserved.

Devons rig