Sign in to follow this  
klamal

Can't believe I'm going to ask this but...

I've been seriously thinking about getting Air Hauler 2 lately after watching a lot of videos of it on YouTube.  That being said, I'd like to find a GA aircraft to use in it that meets a criteria that none of the other GA planes that I have quite meet for some reason or another.  That means that the usual high quality GA products(RealAir, A2A, etc) that are out there don't match 100% for me personally for one goofy reason or another.

The RealAir Dukes make it way to hard to see anything outside the window as all you can see are the engines and also aren't the usual type of plane flown for the kind of company I'd like to create/simulate in AH2(a small commuter type airline).  The A2A stuff require too much hand flying for what I'm after.  I know, sorry for that but I like to make use of autopilots and don't feel the need to prove I can hand fly every part of the flight.

So, that has led me to the ask the question, are there any Carenado aircraft that work close to the way the real thing should work(with mods if need be)?  In particular, the one I think I really would like is the PC12.  But, I'm also considering the Chieftian, Navajo or C90 even.  It would be really nice if the GTN750 can be incorporated.  And also, I'm running P3Dv3.3.  Is it possible?  Can one of these Carenado planes actually work very close(if not all the way) to how the real thing works?  This probably mostly is directed at their autopilots/FMC(in the C90's case) as I think that would be where most of the bugs that would annoy me seem to be.  However, it would of course be nice that the switches do as they should, startup procedure is as close to real and lights function the way one would expect.

For the PC12, can it be installed into P3Dv3.3?  From what I've seen around the web, I think so but it would be nice to get confirmation first.

Maybe my expectations are too high?  I know, I'm sorry for my very pessimistic tone here but, as you can tell, I don't have a very high opinion of these guys.  However, for what I'm looking for, they are the only ones out there and I'm left with no other choice.  So please try not to get too mad at me for voicing it this way, but I think too, they have sort of brought this on themselves.

Thanks to anyone that can help me out(despite the pessimism).  :)

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

The Carenado C90GTX with a GTN750 in the panel should work.

http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=54606&title=gtn-750-in-c90-gtx

You might also consider the Lionheart Kodiak with my GTN mods.

http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=52578&title=flight1-gtn-in-lionheart-kodiak

Lastly, there is the Carenado Caravan II / GTN..

The Carenado PC12 is not quite up to the same standards..

Not sure about the P3D3 question, though..

Bert

The Carenado C90GTX with a GTN750 in the panel should work.

http://www.simforums...-750-in-c90-gtx

How is the view out the window with this one?  Is it really obstructed with the engines like the RealAir Dukes or not as much?  That would be my biggest hesitation with this plane.  Does their FMS work?  Or with the 750 I suppose it then becomes irrelevant.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

The engines are lower, so you look over the left engine and the right engine is not visible.

As for the FMS, it is indeed INOP with the GTN installed.

Send me a PM with your email address and I can send you some screenshots if

you are interested.

Bert

not sure how big or small you are after but maybe have a look at the aerosoft twin otter also. high wing, lot of capacity but can go in and out of almost anywhere, float/amphib version. that along with the beaver are some of my favorite air hauler2 planes.

the milviz c310 is a fun GA plane also, maybe a bit small for a commuter airline and low wing like the dukes tho.

cheers

-andy crosby

not sure how big or small you are after but maybe have a look at the aerosoft twin otter also. high wing, lot of capacity but can go in and out of almost anywhere, float/amphib version. that along with the beaver are some of my favorite air hauler2 planes.

the milviz c310 is a fun GA plane also, maybe a bit small for a commuter airline and low wing like the dukes tho.

cheers

-andy crosby

Yeah, I've looked into that plane before too.  But, it does not have enough automation I think for what I'm after.  If I want to hand fly a good portion of the flight, I'll go to the excellent A2A Comanche(not saying the twin otter is not excellent either as I've heard it is a top notch aircraft too).  It's just not what I'm looking for for this type of flying I want to be doing here.

Really, the RealAir Turbine Duke is perfect in every way except for the fact that you can't see anything out the window but those big engines and that it isn't really a practical aircraft for a (simulated) commuter airline due to its high fuel usage/cost.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

take a look at Flight 1 B200 King Air.

Greg

Greg Morin

Commercial ASMEL Instrument CFI

Beta Tester i Blue Yonder, Flightbeam and Milviz

Another suggestion: Digital Aviation Piper Cheyenne

Very nice plane, systems are there, automation too, lower engines then B60, and great FDE. It's a old product, graphics are not so polished as RealAir, but still one of the best

Autopilots following your flight plan via GPS are already available in the GNS530 implementations of Carenado and others, e.g. Flysimware, so not having support for a GTN750 should not be a big problem. Or just use it as a popup.

I really like the Carenado C337. It has a much lower cruise altitude (though you could pretend having a pressurized version and fly it at FL190 B)) and a bit less performance than the Duke, but visibility is great!

If you want to go a bit faster and a bit higher, I would recommend Flysimware's C441, which still has good cockpit visibility (better than their MU-2B).

What about AS Twin Otter?

The OP wrote that it has not enough automation. But I just noticed that the Aerosoft Twin Otter Extended has a GNS530, too, which can follow the GPS flight plan. I think the original, non-Extended Twin Otter did not have this.

But maybe this one needs more engine management than he likes to do?

I would stay clear of Carenado - while they do produce beautiful textures, everything else is just crap.  They continuously ignore identical errors they make on every new aircraft, they ignore customer suggestions and their Q&A has suggestions like this:

"The lighting over the instruments are so bright that I cannot see the instruments"  (A well known issue with nearly ALL Carenado planes: blinding VC lights)

...this was their response:

"Make sure you have the latest drivers of your video card.

Make sure you have Acceleration Pack installed or SP2 installed. You can get SP2 for free from this link: http://www.microsoft.com/Products/Games/FSInsider/downloads/Pages/default.aspx

You can also try repairing Acceleration Pack or re installing SP2."

Basically saying that it has nothing to do with their design.  Oh, and under the issue of "Instruments being too dark"  They suggest turning up the brightness on your monitor.  C'mon
  • Upvote 2

I would stay clear of Carenado - while they do produce beautiful textures, everything else is just crap. 

Hmmm.. while I have my own issues with Carenado, that statement is going too far IMHO.

Actually, come to think of it, my favorite planes in FSX are Carenado's in spite of their imperfections.

There is something about sitting in a Carenado cockpit that no other vendor can provide.   :smile: 

• Upvote 1

Bert

Certainly agree with you on this one, Bert! The Caravan is one of my favorites, and I found a better freeware sound-pack that is an improvement, especially using the reverser.

cheers

Lennie

Hmmm.. while I have my own issues with Carenado, that statement is going too far IMHO.

It's just when you have something new, that's already broken, and you know there's very minimal chance for any fix, it kinda ruins the whole package.  Maybe I shouldn't say 'the rest is all crap' but I will say the small errors easily eclipse the good aspects, for me at least.

• Upvote 1