Sign in to follow this  
halovet125

I am switching to p3d soon and I was curious if I had to re purchase all of my existing pmdg products for use in p3d.

Kyle,

If I have the wrong impression, then I apologize..  but even after reading the comments here and going back to re-read the post on FB as well as the comments, whilst not explicitly stated, the impression I have still leads me to the same conclusion.  I hope, for everyone's sake, that 64bit does come along and the transition will be relatively easy.  After reading your comments here,  my hope grows.

As for the last bit..  for that I humbly apologize...   It was a LONG day yesterday and after a fresh install of PMDG on top of a fresh install of P3D I was pretty churlish when my expectations weren't met..  It, however, seems to be resolved this morning and I am looking forward to spending some time 'flying' today.

If I have come off as stroppy and troublesome, that was not my intent.  I've lurked around the forums for a bit and see that you have and are doing good things for people and the LAST thing I want to do is get on your bad side.  As for PMDG, I love the products themselves and have been a customer since 2010 (747!!!!!).

Danny are you still having install problems? The product does work. Have you tried deleting all versions and redownload PMDG that your using. I think I had this error but cannot remember what I did. I thought it was a dll file. Not sure.

I would re buy and PMDg product if the next version was for 64bit P3D. A game that will use  more than one core and more than 8gb or Ram, hell yeah!!!. I am using 6700k skylake and 32 of ddr4 ram with an old GTX 970 card soon to be GTX 1080. I am getting at payware airports 25-35 fps inside the cockpit and outside 45-60 depending on the scenery. Not bad for me , as I went back to playing the sim again as it is worthwhile now

Kyle,

If I have the wrong impression, then I apologize..  but even after reading the comments here and going back to re-read the post on FB as well as the comments, whilst not explicitly stated, the impression I have still leads me to the same conclusion.  I hope, for everyone's sake, that 64bit does come along and the transition will be relatively easy.  After reading your comments here,  my hope grows.

As for the last bit..  for that I humbly apologize...   It was a LONG day yesterday and after a fresh install of PMDG on top of a fresh install of P3D I was pretty churlish when my expectations weren't met..  It, however, seems to be resolved this morning and I am looking forward to spending some time 'flying' today.

If I have come off as stroppy and troublesome, that was not my intent.  I've lurked around the forums for a bit and see that you have and are doing good things for people and the LAST thing I want to do is get on your bad side.  As for PMDG, I love the products themselves and have been a customer since 2010 (747!!!!!).

Been there! I should stay off the forums while I'm going through a complete re-installation of Windows the sim and add-ons. Reminds me of a line in the movie Sideways, "Did you drink and dial?!"

James McLees

Guest happy2

I only purchased the ngx because i believed pmdg said they would support costumers up to & including the 64 bit version of p3d . that was the reason for the higher price & i thought that was fair.

I would expect to get that support weather its version p3dv3.3 or p3dv6.1 64 bit  although if i had to pay a upgrade price for the 64 bit 737 that would be ok :good:

The reason I ask this question is I believe i heard an free update was available to existing customers of pmdg products.

The world of FS is not only available to aircraft, but is available to Scenery too. Regarding the move to P3D (current versions v3.x) from FSX, almost 100% of your previously bought Scenery will work well under P3D, with some rare exceptions, and some with some minor imperfections that for instance, have not been an issue for me. Regarding aircraft, the situation is different, and some of them will not work well under P3D, but others will do. As they are more complex (like PMDG, Coolsky DC9/MD80, Level-D 767, and other similar ones), they are less compatible with P3D. In some other cases, for instance, the Aerosoft Airbus Series A318-A320, if you have their latest version for FSX I think you have access to them for P3D as well for free, since they are made for both platforms. My recommendation is to look into each respective forums to see the notes about compatibility with P3D and you'll be all set. AirDailyX.net used to publish a compatibility list of addons for each new version of P3D that was very useful and I would recommend to look at their site and download the latest one.

After being an user of FSX until end-2014 when I decided to move to P3Dv2.4 (at the time), I had never looked back, P3D is for me a completely upgraded FSX platform and has added a huge realism to my FS and my interest for the nice hobby we have, and is worth to spend some bucks in.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

You will find your transition from FSX to P3D relatively cheap, painless and certainly well worth it. Once you've bought P3D itself every developer bar one will give you free P3D versions of software you already own.

It remains cheap as long as you don't want to fly PMDG stuff.

It is more than just one developer that requires payment for different sim versions...

A2A (completely separate with no upgrade pricing, other than offers on release sometimes), RealAir (offers cross-platform upgrade pricing)

As well as one or two scenery developers even nowadays...

A

It remains cheap as long as you don't want to fly PMDG stuff.

And that is my concern as a PMDG Cultist...I eagerly await the 744v2 but shudder to think of the pricing of it for P3D.

spacer.png

And that is my concern as a PMDG Cultist...I eagerly await the 744v2 but shudder to think of the pricing of it for P3D.

It'll be expensive but then you have to pay for quality; and the issue won't be as acute because those of us who have switched P3D won't be buying twice as we've been forced to in the past.

My comments above refer more to the disconnect between PMDGs upgrade policy (by which I mean FSX - P3D) and other developers.

My comments above refer more to the disconnect between PMDGs upgrade policy (by which I mean FSX - P3D) and other developers.

It's not an upgrade. It's an entirely different platform for an entirely different purpose.

Kyle Rodgers

....for an entirely different purpose.

Agree.

It's an entirely different platform...

Disagree.

And that's the issue. PMDG have chosen to paint P3D as a completely different platform as a justification for charging twice for their products. It just isn't. If it was it would have taken years to recode all the existing products for P3D. But it didn't. It's largely the same platform (especially in it's earlier variants) with different licensing. Therefore what PMDG are charging for when you buy products that were originally developed for FSX is not the tens of thousands of hours which undoubtedly went into the original development of these products, but ongoing support (which I agree has a cost) and, from the sounds of it, lawyers fees.

We have a lot to thank PMDG for; it's fair to say they've single handedly change the nature of flight sim but I'm afraid trying to pass off P3D as a different technical platform is an insult to the intelligence of their customers.

A brief scan of these forums shows that this is an issue that keeps coming up. PMDG could put this to bed now by being more honest with their customers about the reasons for their pricing policy and being open to more flexibility with their pricing a la FSL (who look like they've got it spot on imho).

• Upvote 4

Disagree.

Funny thing about facts, though, is that your disagreement matters absolutely nothing.

When I was in uni, I got the whole Adobe CS on an academic license. When I graduated and needed a graphics suite, I had to go buy a commercial license. The code is exactly the same, but it was no longer the academic platform; it was the commercial platform.

A brief scan of these forums shows that this is an issue that keeps coming up. PMDG could put this to bed now by being more honest with their customers about the reasons for their pricing policy and being open to more flexibility with their pricing

As I've mentioned in another thread, our pricing policy is not to be discussed because only we know the costs, risks, and so on, regarding our business environment; nobody else does. As such, discussion about it only generates a bunch of vitriol, and is usually wholly misguided.

We have been honest, and rather up front. Your acceptance of that as far as your opinion goes is your own decision. How other companies are managed is their decision.

The topic of chemtrails keeps coming up in various circles, too, but it doesn't mean that it's less of an abject dismissal of fact.

Kyle Rodgers

These arguments that keep arising regarding why one developer does one thing and another does something different with their pricing structure are completely useless.

No two companies are the same or have the same amount of staff and overhead. Trying to convince one developer to use the same pricing model as the other is futile. Just like one shop will paint a car for $1000 and the other shop down the street will paint it for $1500. Different paint shops, different overhead costs.

If you don't believe that a price is fair simply don't purchase. Complaining and asking for disclosures as to what the price is set is useless and your not going to convince any developer to lower or change the price just because you don't agree.

Personally I think PMDG should raise the prices considering what you get.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

When I was in uni, I got the whole Adobe CS on an academic license. When I graduated and needed a graphics suite, I had to go buy a commercial license. The code is exactly the same, but it was no longer the academic platform; it was the commercial platform.

If you feel that's a valid analogy does it not fly in the face of your earlier statement?

It's an entirely different platform for an entirely different purpose.

I appreciate you entering into this debate with me and not just deleting the post. On some things people will never agree and this is one of those things, life goes on.

Let me be clear though, I won't be questioning the value proposition of the 747 when it comes along. Despite their perceived high cost, quality addon aircraft are excellent value for money when compared with say an airport, a round of golf or a night out.

But then I already own PSX so I won't be buying it  :wink:

If you feel that's a valid analogy does it not fly in the face of your earlier statement?

In what way?

Kyle Rodgers