Sign in to follow this  
halovet125

I am switching to p3d soon and I was curious if I had to re purchase all of my existing pmdg products for use in p3d.

The reason I ask this question is I believe i heard an free update was available to existing customers of pmdg products.

You have to purchase everything again. There isn't an update from FSX to P3D and certainly not a free one: I really wonder where you heard that because it's a well known fact that PMDG doesn't do things like that for free.

Also, you will only get aircraft that will only work in P3D v3.xxx, once they go to v4.xxx. You will have to pay again.

It's my hope that P3D makes it to 64 bit, DX12 in V3.xxx. If not, I'll be a grumpy-Gus.

• Upvote 1

I thought PMDG said they are going to support current owners through 64bit.

• Upvote 2

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I hope so! P3D prices are a bit spendy as is, I'd hate to have to buy them a second time. I could see a modest upgrade price for existing customers from P3D 3.xx to 4.xx versions.

Yea I think they are supporting current owners through 64 bit

Orman

Also, you will only get aircraft that will only work in P3D v3.xxx, once they go to v4.xxx. You will have to pay again.

It's my hope that P3D makes it to 64 bit, DX12 in V3.xxx. If not, I'll be a grumpy-Gus.

Can you show us where this was stated? I'm planning on moving to P3D this weekend, but if this is the case I'll wait.

Can you show us where this was stated? I'm planning on moving to P3D this weekend, but if this is the case I'll wait.

From their facebook page... (https://www.facebook.com/pmdgsimulations/posts/878150648891387 my exchange is the last on this post.)

You will get the 64 bit update ONLY if it happens in v3.xxx.  If for any reason P3D goes to v4.xxx for 64 bit, (which seems reasonable based on what everyone else has done), you will pay again.  They've said that they 'expect' it to happen in v3.xxx, but there are no guarantees. (I'm keeping my fingers crossed though.. I love the 739)

I've gone ahead and re-purchased 737 base and expansion for P3D but I'm having an registry error for P3D that I'm trying to sort out..  I've installed 737 only to find that none of the gauges, switches, screens, etc...  worked.  However, I'm not entirely certain it's a PMDG issue.  Until I can get P3D to install with no errors I'm not flying.

That being said.. the bit of flying that I DID do in P3D was awesome..  graphics are MUCH better, more features and just seems a lot smoother all around.  Now to get my scenery issues sorted.

You will get the 64 bit update ONLY if it happens in v3.xxx.  If for any reason P3D goes to v4.xxx for 64 bit, (which seems reasonable based on what everyone else has done), you will pay again.

That isn't likely to encourage me to upgrade to v4.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I am not sure about that, i was running PMDG aircraft on 2.5 before moving to 3.  As far as i am aware they were compatible with 3 out of the box.  I would guess that (with the exception of 64-bit already mentioned) PMDG would look at the amount of work involved in getting them to work in V4 before making a price decision. 

Ian R Tyldesley

Guys,

We haven't specifically stated where the cut over will be. All we've said is "we anticipate" X, Y, or Z. As an example, we have stated before that your current license will likely carry you through the 64 bit update, which we had anticipated as coming out sometime in the 3.X time frame. We have also stated before that your current license will likely carry you through at least the 3.X versions. That could mean that it would carry you through 5, or 6, or even a later version, but it could also only carry you through the end of 3.

"Some have expressed concern about forward compatibility with LM version changes.  We have already indicated that our current product licensing will carry you through at least v3.x and x64bit conversion, which we anticipate taking place in v3.x... based on publicly available information.)  I am unable to predict what will happen beyond this, but at that point we are likely a good 2 years out and we will evaluate what is fair for the marketplace at that time."

http://www.avsim.com/topic/461729-08feb15-p3d-pricing-policy-some-facts-on-this-issue/

Please be careful about how you repeat this information here in the forum. When it comes to official stuff like this, it may be best to link people to the information instead of paraphrasing. I have a feeling that's how some in this thread got to the incorrect information: prior paraphrasing by others.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

Guys,

We haven't specifically stated where the cut over will be. All we've said is "we anticipate" X, Y, or Z. As an example, we have stated before that your current license will likely carry you through the 64 bit update, which we had anticipated as coming out sometime in the 3.X time frame. We have also stated before that your current license will likely carry you through at least the 3.X versions. That could mean that it would carry you through 5, or 6, or even a later version, but it could also only carry you through the end of 3.

"Some have expressed concern about forward compatibility with LM version changes.  We have already indicated that our current product licensing will carry you through at least v3.x and x64bit conversion, which we anticipate taking place in v3.x... based on publicly available information.)  I am unable to predict what will happen beyond this, but at that point we are likely a good 2 years out and we will evaluate what is fair for the marketplace at that time."

http://www.avsim.com/topic/461729-08feb15-p3d-pricing-policy-some-facts-on-this-issue/

Please be careful about how you repeat this information here in the forum. When it comes to official stuff like this, it may be best to link people to the information instead of paraphrasing. I have a feeling that's how some in this thread got to the incorrect information: prior paraphrasing by others.

Kyle,

I'm not sure if that was directed at me or not but I did point to the exchange, not just my portion of it, regarding the pricing decision for P3D.  I believe it to be a fair-go to alert someone that is already concerned about the cost of migrating to P3D..  just as I feel that the prices charged for the migration were high.  I cannot say that I recall a single instance of where a developer did not offer a cross-grade license or pricing for existing customers...  and I buy a lot of software.   I did not mean for it to be inflammatory or derisive..  just fair warning.

I'm still not sure that I will buy the 777 licenses that I had for FSX..  I can't seem to get the 737 working. and following the P3D install advice, (re:simconnect), just made things worse. For what it cost, it should have worked right out of the box, but that's a topic for another thread.

Danny

I thought PMDG said they are going to support current owners through 64bit.

Thats what I remember they said as well! Thats the only reason I purchased it for P3D.

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

Guys,

Thanks for the clarification, Kyle. I will think on it a bit longer and then make the decision to move forward to P3D. In the meantime I'll upgrade the old PC a bit to keep me busy.

I'm not sure if that was directed at me or not but I did point to the exchange, not just my portion of it, regarding the pricing decision for P3D.  I believe it to be a fair-go to alert someone that is already concerned about the cost of migrating to P3D..  just as I feel that the prices charged for the migration were high.  I cannot say that I recall a single instance of where a developer did not offer a cross-grade license or pricing for existing customers...  and I buy a lot of software.   I did not mean for it to be inflammatory or derisive..  just fair warning.

It was, partially. Your earlier post was obviously a warning, but there's a difference between our actual stance and what you put out there as what you believe our official stance to be, and as you can see even in the latest post above mine, there's a bit of confusion, caused in part by your incorrect post.

Earlier, you stated:

"You will get the 64 bit update ONLY if it happens in v3.xxx."

We never said this.

You then went on to say:

"If for any reason P3D goes to v4.xxx for 64 bit, (which seems reasonable based on what everyone else has done), you will pay again."

We also never said this.

I'm all for putting information out there and making sure people know what they're getting into before they get into something, but there's a huge difference between saying there is a chance something will happen, and that something will happen. That's where the issue is. Yes, there will be a point where people will need to get a new license. No, the points you mentioned were never stated by us, specifically. We haven't gotten to the point where that decision is to be made yet.

I'm still not sure that I will buy the 777 licenses that I had for FSX..  I can't seem to get the 737 working. and following the P3D install advice, (re:simconnect), just made things worse. For what it cost, it should have worked right out of the box, but that's a topic for another thread.

Software is only as good as the environment that you put it in, however. If there are issues on your computer, then a developer can't be held entirely responsible. With tools like the Estonia Migration Tool - a tool that has the sole purpose of obfuscating Win registry entries - and general computer upkeep issues, it's impossible to cover all of it. Expecting that the price of software will automatically make it immune to human error, and negative interactions with other software isn't really fair. In fact, one of the reasons of the increased costs of a support contract (the price point that you'd criticized on the Facebook page) is to have near-instant access to one of us (on top of having commercial use of the product) to troubleshoot configuration issues.

The computer I built this past November cost me over $3K. That's a decent chunk of change. Is it reasonable to expect it to work as soon as I throw it all together? Nope. Same with software. It's all made to work together, but that's assuming you've done it correctly, and the computer is in reasonable shape. If someone else's software did something stupid to the registry, there's only so much we can do without being invasive, or subjecting people to waiting while the installer runs a full scan of their computer to find the sim location that the Win registry couldn't point it to.

As far as your registry issue goes, I'm guessing it's likely a bad registry entry (either through the use of the EMT - avoid it, get rid of it - or the Prepar3D installer not setting the key properly). See this P3D article for the registry location and ensure that these values are pointing to your actual P3D install location:

http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv2/LearningCenter/getting_help/getting_help.html

EDIT: Corrected comp cost - hit the wrong numpad button.

Kyle Rodgers