Sign in to follow this  
Maverick24

Cannot open ATC menu with any aircraft, no acces to changes in gauges folder

Hello,

I have a little strange problem here. I don´t remember, when it started (couple of weeks), but I cannot open ATC menu with any aircraft I choose.  When I was searching some solutions, I found this (it is for PMDG aircraft, but I have 777 and there is no ATC menu either):

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=113735&start=30

I suggest, that is workaround for all aircraft, because I think that missionpanel.cfg is some kind of "default" settings for all aircraft. So I thought that I was really close to figure this out, but when I tried to open missionpanel.cfg it says simply "Access denied" and I cannot even see something in it. I dont much understand "rights, owners and problems with it" because I never experienced before with FSX (9 years). I am the only user of this computer and have a administrator account so I dont understand, why I havent acces for simply text file. 

Could someone explain and help me please?

Windows10, Prepar3D V.3 (last version from June I think).

Thanks

Jiri

Hi Jiri,

Did you recently update P3D client?

See if this may help:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/491899-p3d-335-some-in-sim-windows-missing/?p=3453591

Cheers,

Massimo Burti

Intel Core i9-13900K ¦ 64GB DDR4-3200 - 2x 32GB - Kingston Fury Beast - black ¦ 2x 2TB - m.2 NVMe Gen4 - Samsung 980 Pro ¦ Asus ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4  ¦ Asus TUF RTX 3080 Gaming OC LHR - 12GB ¦ 1000W - 80+ Platinum - Seasonic Prime PX

Hi,

thank you for quick answer. I want try, but during installation it says "The Installer has insufficient privilegies to modify this file:" + way to the first file in the gauges folder, so that´s the acces problem. "Run as administrator" option is not in the right-click menu and it´s not markable in the Properties>Compatibility menu. 

So I guess that I will have to figure out the acces problem first, but I dont know how :-(.

Jiri

You don't have write access to this file because of Windows 10 UAC.

Try this: copy the file to your desktop, modify it there, then copy it back to where it was.

LORBY-SI

How are you trying to open it?

Maybe open Notepad first, then open the file from within Notepad (keeping the file on the desktop)

You can disable UAC too.

LORBY-SI

I cannot simply copy something from Gauges folder, everytime I tried it asked for the administrator rights. I have UAC disabled in windows and in registry. 

EDIT: I changed the owner of gauges folder on me and now I can read and change :-). Hurá!!! (in czech language :-D ). Now I can figure out that ATC window problem... I will report

Can you or did you change the security settings of the folder? Or the one above it? Can you give "Everyone" full access rights? (Right click -> Properties -> Security)

LORBY-SI

So another a little bigger problem shows up. When ffantasy67 gave me an advice with install content.msi, I had to uninstall the old one. After the rights change, now I can open that missionpanel.cfg file, but I found out, that I allready have the changes applied as in the link is. BUT when I try install the content.msi, it again stuck with acces problem, but this time no on file, but in a folder in it. So I do exactly the same thing for whole Prepar3d folder, but installer still cannot pass this folder. And now this is the reason why I cannot start the sim.

I havent in my settings "Everyone". I have theese:

All applications packages (translated from czech localization)

Creator Owner

System

Maverick (BIGHIND/Maverick)

Administrators (BIGHIND/Administrators)

Users (BIGHIND/Users)

All of them have full control option. But when I click on "more options", there have everyone full control rights, except Users (BIGHIND/Users) and All applications packages. 

So I did it!!! I find out, that content.msi installer has rights problem with everything folder which is containing some xml file. So I took away every folder with xml files, installed the content.msi, it finised, and then put fodlers back without rewriting. P3D is fire up and everything seems to be ok. AND - ATC window is back :)

Thank you guys for your help. Have a nice weekend. I will spend it in 777 with my GF ;-).

Thanks again

Jiri

:good: 

:Applause:  :Applause:  :Applause:

Massimo Burti

Intel Core i9-13900K ¦ 64GB DDR4-3200 - 2x 32GB - Kingston Fury Beast - black ¦ 2x 2TB - m.2 NVMe Gen4 - Samsung 980 Pro ¦ Asus ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4  ¦ Asus TUF RTX 3080 Gaming OC LHR - 12GB ¦ 1000W - 80+ Platinum - Seasonic Prime PX

You can just create the "Everyone" - (or it's Czech equivalent), then give them full access rights. You may need this if you ever make folders available over LAN.

In your case it seems that the software was installed with a different account, probably the "Administrator" or "System" - who normally isn't you. I had this happen to me too, with the ORBX scenery. I could no longer switch the ORBX regions, because Windows was blocking access to the backup bat file.  

I think the rule of thumb that you should run every installer with "Run as administrator" has to be handled with care on current Windows systems.

LORBY-SI