Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

The W10 Freebie Clock is counting down...tick tock...tick tock...

"Oh shucks (or any other word stronger, than shucks...), it's 00:01 Saturday.   I missed out..."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I missed out too Mitch!  I'll be building a new system soon and would have had to buy Windows 10 anyway.  Actually, I doubt I will ever upgrade to Windows10.  My friend over at Tweak Guides agrees - http://www.tweakguides.com/

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

From Jim's TweakGuides link: (Windows 10) marks the inevitable reduction of user choice and control over the OS, and the true beginning of Microsoft's unambiguous and unashamedly heavy-handed attempts to make money by herding users towards their Windows Store walled garden and its meagre cache of dumbed-down mobile-oriented "Universal apps".

I've agree.  Win 10 seems designed to offer more to Microsoft than their customers.  Mostly, I disagree with any "walled garden" engineering philosophy (which is much more about marketing than engineering).  I'll stay with Win 7 (and my current Haswell system that runs FSX and all the standard eye-candy addons quite well) for the foreseeable future.  I have far more control over how I configure a Win 7 system than a Win 10 system (the latter will only become worse as MS locks it down to further monetize its "offerings").

Nothing against Win 10, it just doesn't offer me enough to compromise my privacy as well as what I seek in an OS enough for me to jump on board.  To each their own.

Greg

It's worth noting that one of the few links referenced to in the TweakGuides article is primarily concerned with the effect that the removal of certain group policy edits have on customers of the Pro version, who are using it in a larger business environment.  For them, there's some very valid complaints - MS is most definitely trying hard (and sneakily) to push businesses towards the Enterprise versions, which go along with multi-seat minimums and high pricing.  After all, no business wants it's staff sitting there playing Candy Crush...

However, my primary use of my desktop is gaming - all sorts, including 'casual'. I have no issues with the current changes, because they simply don't affect me, and from what I've seen so far, W10 is going pretty well for gaming. If they ever enact changes that do affect me (such as the thought raised that future versions of windows could try and disable win32, or interfere with Steam) then I'll explore options at that time. Until then, it's business (gaming) as usual.

Also, I happen to have my Win 7 Pro disk safely tucked away. Until hardware restrictions make it irrelevant, it's always going to be an option should Win 10 ever become an unacceptable platform!

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I missed out too Mitch!  I'll be building a new system soon and would have had to buy Windows 10 anyway.  Actually, I doubt I will ever upgrade to Windows10.  My friend over at Tweak Guides agrees - http://www.tweakguides.com/

Jim

Jim...that 'missed out 'line was for all those procrastinators...lol.   I installed about 5 days or so ago...and have never looked back.

All I can say, Jim...is  after a few days on my system...am having no regrets, from a general usage O.S. and that controlling and running my flight sim addiction. 

Jim..it is fast...tweaked, and intuitive.  I was a W7 holdout, but W10...is just...well, in the groove.  Everything you do, is 1.5 times as fast as W7...programs open and close  SNAP.  Windows within the O.S.  open...SNAP...love it.   Won't be using that one month recovery back to W7.  No need for it now. Everything you do...seems on steroids... :)))))

Graphics, whether within a sim, or pictures from my camera, look cleaner, have a crisp appearance, and so, very clear to detail.  This O.S. is a culmination and advancement of all the preceding ones...and not merely a rehash.  A keeper!

Cheers,

Mitch

I always smile when I see threads that promote living in the past.  Not an option with technology.

Cheers

jja 

• Upvote 1

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

As I just posted in another thread...

...How many times has it been said that if it ain't broke don't fix it....."upgrading" to Windows 10 is a totally useless exercise for almost all Windows 7 users...

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Windows 10 works just fine (after you get rid of Cortana, disable a bunch of intrusive settings and add some tweaks).

If you have a newer computer with SSD, it is like Windows 7 on Steroids. My main Laptop boots in less than 12 seconds.

Got several PC's, so I migrated 2 (they were Win7 Ultimate and ended up Win 10 Pro).  Thanks to MSDN I upgraded them to them to Enterprise.

Ramón

I always smile when I see threads that promote living in the past.  Not an option with technology.

Indeed, and I always smile when I see posts by folks who think they know what is best for everybody.  Again, everybody's priorities and needs are different.

Greg

Again, everybody's priorities and needs are different.

This couldn't be more true.

I've went from being steadfast in my resolve to not let a single bit of W10 invade my computers, to being interested, to installing with the thought "oh, I'll probably not like it and will be rolling back or wiping", to spending 10 hours this week playing Forza Apex - a W10 exclusive title. My priorities have indeed shifted over the year that the free upgrade has been available. One major priority that has changed is that I used to be paranoid about any change in the OS affecting what I viewed as a very 'fragile' installation of FSX. Since then, I have spread myself out among sims and am far less worried about disruptions in any single platform.

But it's just one small example of a constant and dynamic change in priorities and interests as life goes on. 15 years ago, I used to look down my nose at windows altogether. I was proud of the half dozen linux (and *nix variant) machines I had kicking about, and windows was something I tolerated purely for gaming on a dual boot basis. Nowadays, I have no real purpose for linux, so I haven't installed it on anything in years. Life goes on, priorities come and go.

But for someone with different priorities than mine, they should run whatever OS version they want, it's cool and it's their call.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Jim...that 'missed out 'line was for all those procrastinators...lol. I installed about 5 days or so ago...and have never looked back.

I have it installed on my laptop but not on the desktop so I can see what it is all about and, uh..., well I have it installed on my laptop but not on my desktop. :smile:  

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

But at my age it really doesn't matter....."will be" is a distant future event.....Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Windows 10 works just fine (after you get rid of Cortana, disable a bunch of intrusive settings and add some tweaks).

What are the intrusive settings you disabled and the tweaks you used?

Thanks!

What are the intrusive settings you disabled and the tweaks you used?

Thanks!

A very good question, as I want to get rid of two distinct items from Windows 1o----it's Edge browser and its data-collecting Cortana.

And Computer Active,(UK) reports that MS has secret plans to make its OS subscription-based. A file, called 'Windows Upgrade to Subscription tool' was found in System32 folder of the build 14376. MS is trying fend off being caught claiming these files are for business use.