Sign in to follow this  
JYW

FSX - I've got a SSD - what should I do with it? :)

Hi Folks,

Due to my HD and MOBO failing, I've just got a completely new build PC, and it's come with a 128Gb SSD, in addition to the standard 1TB Hard Drive.

I've read people saying the SSDs are good re: FSX, but I'm just wondering how to utilize it?

Should I move FSX onto the SSD?   (It's currently in the standard location) ........ of should I leave FSX where it is, and just put my scenery into the SSD, and then "point" the FSX Scenery Library to it (via SceneryConfigEditor) ?

Any tips or advice would be great.

Cheers,

Bill

Bill

UK LAPL-A

Currently flying:- (GA): COWS DA-42, A2A Comanche, FSW C414, WT SR22T, FSS P2006, BlSq TBM850, FSR M500, Flyboy Rans S6S, SWS Zenith 701,C172 JT-A mod (Airliners): Fenix A320, Ini A300-600, FBW A320 NEO and PMDG737.

How big is your FSX folder currently?

If it comfortably fits on the SSD, you can copy the whole folder over and launch FSX from there.

It should load much more quickly.

Suggest you keep the original folder until you are absolutely sure that you do not need it anymore.

Bert

Should I move FSX onto the SSD?   (It's currently in the standard location) ........ of should I leave FSX where it is, and just put my scenery into the SSD, and then "point" the FSX Scenery Library to it (via SceneryConfigEditor) ?

Any tips or advice would be great.

Which drive is the OS on?

128 GB is a bit small these days so might be a limitation either way.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Given the smallness of the SSD drive I would consider using it for my OS and put FSX on the 1TB drive, or get a second larger SSD for the simulator.

Unless, it's a fairly small FSX and related files installation and you don't anticipate growing it very much.

Ernest Pergrem

How big is your FSX folder currently?

If it comfortably fits on the SSD, you can copy the whole folder over and launch FSX from there.

It should load much more quickly.

Suggest you keep the original folder until you are absolutely sure that you do not need it anymore.

Thanks guys.

My FSX folder is currently 107GB (and that's after a re-install of FSX, and I've only installed the 'essentials' on so far! :smile: ).  So although I could fit it on the dinky SSD at this point, there'd be little room for expansion.

The OS is currently on the regular HD.

Would there be any benefit in putting just some aspects of my FSX installation to the SSD?  ... eg. just the scenery? Photoscenery perhaps?   ...or would this not bring any benefit if FSX itself wasn't also on the SSD?

Thanks again.

Bill

UK LAPL-A

Currently flying:- (GA): COWS DA-42, A2A Comanche, FSW C414, WT SR22T, FSS P2006, BlSq TBM850, FSR M500, Flyboy Rans S6S, SWS Zenith 701,C172 JT-A mod (Airliners): Fenix A320, Ini A300-600, FBW A320 NEO and PMDG737.

Use that 128SSD for you O/S and regularly used programs, get a larger SSD for FlightSim, and use your 1TB drive for storage

I use a 128GB SSD for Windows10 and a few other programs and games. FlightSim is on its own 500GB SSD, then a 1TB drive for storage. This works well for me

Matthew Kane

Use that 128SSD for you O/S and regularly used programs, get a larger SSD for FlightSim, and use your 1TB drive for storage

I use a 128GB SSD for Windows10 and a few other programs and games. FlightSim is on its own 500GB SSD, then a 1TB drive for storage. This works well for me

Sounds good, thanks.

As the OS is already on the standard C:\ drive, could you advise on the best / easiest way to migrate it to the E:\ (SSD) drive?

Bill

UK LAPL-A

Sounds good, thanks.

As the OS is already on the standard C:\ drive, could you advise on the best / easiest way to migrate it to the E:\ (SSD) drive?

I use Acronis True Image Backup software for that, you can copy your C: to E: and make E: your new C: using Acronis. Also Acronis is great for your regular backup and restore

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acronis_True_Image

• Upvote 1

Matthew Kane

Too small for OS or even P3D.  I would use it as spare scenery drive.  The speed would work nice for photoreal scenery.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Too small for OS or even P3D. I would use it as spare scenery drive. The speed would work nice for photoreal scenery.

Why would you say this?

There are countless combinations a person could setup a 128GB SSD and considering Windows10 64-bit only takes up 20GB's that means you still have just over 100GB's left for various other things. That is heaps of unused space left over on an O/S Drive.

I wish they still made 40GB SSD's for under $50 that could be used for Windows only, they are now harder to find

• Upvote 2

Matthew Kane

if you are torn between putting part of FSX onto the SSD and leaving the other part on the HD with your windows installation, you could always try usng the 128 SSD as cache. I have mine setup to cache my 1TB HD drive with windows and it boots within 20sec. It is so much faster and may help benefit your FSX processing time too. Romex Software has an application called Primocache (https://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/primo-cache/) that can be used for 60 days trial period. You should test it out before buying anything else and before you start moving things around.

• Upvote 1

Troy Kemp

Win 11 64 Pro on 1TB nvme + 500GB ssd  / P3Dv5.3+ on 1TB nvme+ 250GB with P3D addons / MS2020 2TB nvme /I9 13900K@ 5.8ghz / 32GB DDR4 3600mhz / MSI MPG Z690 DDR4 with wifi / RTX 4090FE

Ooops, I mis-spoke, I meant to say 128GB was too small for my P3D (not my OS).  I quickly outgrew my 128 for P3D then a 256 and now I am on a 512GB SSD.

I do use an older 128GB for my Win 10 OS and that has worked out well so far.

• Upvote 1

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Thanks very much for the help and suggestions guys!

I think I'll either put the OS onto the SSD, or use it for photoscenery.   - when I get more free time! :smile:

Cheers.

• Upvote 1

Bill

UK LAPL-A

I use a Sandisk 490 Extreme Pro. Put Win 10 and FSX steam (only) on it with ASN and soft clouds. Best performance to date with PMDG simmi8ng. I'm getting 60FPS outside with 28-40 in vc at major airports. Been running many many sims for many many years, Sub Logic on up, this is the best, case closed!