Sign in to follow this  
RobWhightNZ

P3D V3 and weather/textures - confused

Just to be sure and to prevent confusion: you seem to think or say AS16 and ASCA are also REX products. They aren't. AS16 and ASCA are made by HiFi Simulations Technologies.

Well done Jeroen   :wink:

Rich Sennett

This time when installing AS16 and ASCA I simply installed it on the P3D machine. I see absolutely no difference in performance while running everything on the same machine, and I don't think I will go to the hassle of running thru network setup again.

I came to the same conclusion with my new build. Weather and P3D on same machine, AS2016 rarely consumes more than a few percentage points of CPU time. Even played with setting affinity on the fly with Process Explorer to knock off cores used by P3D but saw no difference in performance.

Dan Downs KCRP

In all the testing that I have done with ASE, ASs2012, ASN and AS16 - I have seen no appreciable difference when running in networked mode vs local install. Some will argue that the cpu has less processing but that's really not the case. Taking into account that it has to maintain a network connection, data transfer, etc - it's a wash.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

True, I don't think there's any difference in performance with running AS16 on a networked computer. My only reason for doing so is so I can access the moving weather map at all times on my laptop. I have a number of programmes running on it like plan g, PFPX, Pro ATC and Topcat. All of these things are quite useful during a flight so it's nice to have them easily accessible while not having to switch away from P3D on my main computer.

Stuart Furley

Just to add to the "network" thing, I usually run ASN over the network, but every time I change stuff around I have to go back thru the folders with simconnect setups. (I'm always having to find notes on where all this is).

This time when installing AS16 and ASCA I simply installed it on the P3D machine. I see absolutely no difference in performance while running everything on the same machine, and I don't think I will go to the hassle of running thru network setup again.

Just sayin'....... 

I came to the same conclusion with my new build. Weather and P3D on same machine, AS2016 rarely consumes more than a few percentage points of CPU time. Even played with setting affinity on the fly with Process Explorer to knock off cores used by P3D but saw no difference in performance.

In all the testing that I have done with ASE, ASs2012, ASN and AS16 - I have seen no appreciable difference when running in networked mode vs local install. Some will argue that the cpu has less processing but that's really not the case. Taking into account that it has to maintain a network connection, data transfer, etc - it's a wash.

Vic

I rest my case. :hi: 

It's funny how some people keep on using or wanting or requesting features that might have been of use years ago but have become useless in the meantime. Specially flightsimmers seem to have a tendency to hold on to old truths as if their lives depend on it without checking every now and then if what they think is true still is true or not. :wink:

True, I don't think there's any difference in performance with running AS16 on a networked computer. My only reason for doing so is so I can access the moving weather map at all times on my laptop. I have a number of programmes running on it like plan g, PFPX, Pro ATC and Topcat. All of these things are quite useful during a flight so it's nice to have them easily accessible while not having to switch away from P3D on my main computer.

That is a good reason to use various addons on a networked computer but as I said earlier, with P3D I never really have the idea I am switching away from P3D because I can open everything program or addon in a window while P3D keeps on running full screen: it's as if I am opening a GPS popup or any other P3D popup window. Depending on how often you do this and how big the windows are it may of course spoil the immersion a bit. :wink:

+1 Stuart..Once am in the cockpit I stay there. No changing setting or outside views. May popup GTN750 a couple of times but with a 40 inch screen I can see it very well with out a popup. Guess its all about the immersion. Network apps allow me to explore their features while am flying. Just don't hit the wrong button and crash the flight. :fool: 

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

. My only reason for doing so is so I can access the moving weather map at all times on my laptop.

Look at the Weather companion which is a function of AS16 - You can have AS16 on local system and get the map on the laptop.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

... or tablet or phone. Basically, any device on your local network. It works great.

Vic Am going to try AS16 on same pc as p3d. Wish the runway candidate info from the briefing was  included in the weather report. One can fire up AS16 and not touch it again doing the flight. So I have to uninstall from my server pc before install to my client? 1 pc 1 person use right?

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

Yes but if you are just testing, you can leave it on the server. When you run it on the PC it will deactivate on the server. Ultimately you will have to delete one though.

You can't do this with the trial though. Need to get a new trial license.

Vic

Look at the Weather companion which is a function of AS16 - You can have AS16 on local system and get the map on the laptop.

Vic

Very interesting, thanks for the info Vic. I'm on my holiday at the moment but will check that out when I'm back home next week. There's probably loads of new stuff with AS16 that I haven't discovered yet! :smile:

Stuart Furley