Sign in to follow this  

In-cloud motion effects: what to look for...?

While using the AS16 demo I noticed I didn't see anything that looked like in-cloud motion effects. When I decided to buy AS16 I decided to also add ASCA: not because I expected it to be awesome but mainly because I do like the idea of automated variation. Apart from seeing very repetitive clouds and getting an awful colored sky I still don't get any in-cloud motion effects... I flew right through a few clouds during my last flights and well, that was it. No swirling clouds around my cockpit (I am flying the A2A Cherokee right now).

Does anyone have a link to a movie that clearly shows the effect so I know what to expect? As it is now I have the idea something isn't working right. (And yes, the option is on.) Anyone else NOT seeing the effect? It was something I really was looking forward too.

Main reason I upgraded to this version, I have to say the feature is so disappointing that I have now deactivated it.

Essentially when the predetermined conditions are set, an effect file is activated ahead of your camera view. A smoke/particle effect is generated which you fly into, this is supposed to simulate passing cloud.

for me 20% of the time it looks ok, the rest it looks pretty silly especially when your nowhere near a cloud and it activates. 

• Upvote 1

Up until now I can't see what people are hyped about with AS2016/ASCA. I have tried none of them yet but judging from the screenshots and videos there's nothing that would justify the upgrade price. ASN + REX4 has always been the best weather experience so far. This is of course my personal opinion..

• Upvote 2

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

Thanks! Didn't see that yet in my sim....

It only seems to work when flying through cumulus layers as far as I can see, with Stratus layers not triggering it.

Did they turn the effect down in the updates? When I used the trial it would kick in a lot more, even on the ground (sometimes) with no clouds below several thousand feet, so I would says its better now.

The video mimics what I see. It looks even better when flying through clouds and rain with the RealAir Turbine Duke, which has the windshield raindrop effect. It makes you almost want to clean your monitor's screen with a rag.  :P

It only seems to work when flying through cumulus layers as far as I can see, with Stratus layers not triggering it.

Did they turn the effect down in the updates? When I used the trial it would kick in a lot more, even on the ground (sometimes) with no clouds below several thousand feet, so I would says its better now.

The hotfixes to both AS16 and ASCA "silently" modified a few things like the cloud textures and sky colors, both of which seemed a bit off in the initial releases.  The present versions of AS16/ASCA look as good to me as ASN with REX TD 4. And the weather control in AS16 is much better. The overcast conditions are realistic as is the in air turbulence simulation.

The present versions of AS16/ASCA look as good to me as ASN with REX TD 4.

I'm getting some nice results with ASCA, with the exception of the sky's which apart from some of the daytime blues, look poor in my eyes. The clouds are more akin to REX Soft Clouds and look good, and there are some nice Cirrus textures, but overall I prefer the REX OD and TD for clouds in combo with Navid's dusk and dawn sky's. But each to their own :)

The In-Cloud motion effects certainly seems better, so far anyway, with less triggering outside of the clouds. I turned it off during the trial, as it was going off far too often.

We're working on improvements to both AS16 and ASCA, and cloud motion effect and sky colors are definitely getting attention.  Thanks for the feedback.

• Upvote 1

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

ASN + REX4 has always been the best weather experience so far.

I just recently went from REX4 to REX Essentials after using REX4 for two years. The mix and match combinations were too limited in REX4 just like in ASCA. The selections are becoming easier to install but they are not the right selections and they can't be fine tuned.

I have yet to get this effect to trigger.  Is ASCA a requirement?  I only have AS16 + REX4 + Soft Clouds.  Been scud running and trying all kinds of other combinations of planes, speeds, and cloud types.  Have yet to see this effect once even though it's enabled in my settings.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

I have yet to get this effect to trigger.  Is ASCA a requirement?  I only have AS16 + REX4 + Soft Clouds.  Been scud running and trying all kinds of other combinations of planes, speeds, and cloud types.  Have yet to see this effect once even though it's enabled in my settings.

ASCA is required. Fantastic combo, and I have uninstalled REX and FEX, as nothing beats ASCA in full dynamics.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

I do have ASCA but still haven't seen the effect yet, at least not as obvious as in the video's I've seen.

ASCA is NOT  required

yes I agree, don't have ASCA installed at the moment, but had a bad effect with it today, went to spot view, clear from clouds. turned it off.

bob