Sign in to follow this  
mwilk

Unhandled exception

I'm using the latest beta. I was just doing an IFR flight from EGLL-EIDW. It was going very well. I had been given my STAR and assigned runway. I was handed off to the next controller. I dialed in the wrong frequency and when I attempted to contact center I received an unhandled exception warning. I was no longer able to contact ATC beit center, approach, or tower. I was being given traffic advisories though.

NAX669.png

Dave:

I too had some unhandled exceptions.  Also happened while changing frequencies. I might very well have entrered the wrong frequency.  The problem occured when I tried to contact center.

Tom

I was actually headed here to post the same thing.  This also happens if you step away from the PC a bit too long.  Typically on long flights Ill run errands, chores around the house and come back in time for descent.  P2A doesn't seem to like this however and will usually throw an exception error for me.  Is it possible to maybe get an option for the FO to take over radio's and ATC for situations like this?  That would be a killer feature for me.

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

i9 12900k | 32GB DDR5 RAM | 2TB Samsung EVO SSD (1TB x 2 in RAID 0) | MSI RTX 3090 | Reverb G2 | RealSimGear TBM900 Panel with Yoko+ TQ6+ & TM TPR Pedals

Is it possible to maybe get an option for the FO to take over radio's and ATC for situations like this?  That would be a killer feature for me.

It would be nice if Dave could implement this kind of feature. As you said, there are times when you have to be away from the computer for a bit and are going to miss frequency changes. 

NAX669.png

Have you tried using the "Pause" button on Pilot2ATC?  That will stop the event firing in P2A while you're gone.

When you get back, as long as you are still at cruise altitude en-route prior to TOD and prior to the first waypoint in a STAR, it should figure out where you are and let you continue from there.

I have not tried this feature on such long flights, but theoretically it should work.  Let us know what you find if you try it.

Dave

Dave,

Is there a way to tie P2A to the pause feature in FSX/P3D?

I believe ProATC does this other wise you have to deal with two pause buttons?

Bill Clark

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

CPU I5-8600K 5.0GHz, GPU Nvidia RTX 3090 VRAM 24GB

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7, 2TB M2.NVMe, RAM 32GB

Hi Bill.

I initially had it set up that way, but it caused many unintended issues.  By having the separate Pause Button, in addition to avoiding those issues, you are able to Pause P2A while FSX/P3D continue a long flight as Mike and Chris were discussing above.

Dave

Hi

Just also experienced an unhandled exception due to dialing in a wrong frequency (.05 out). Exception occurred as I contacted center on the misdialed frequency. Pressed continue.

Pilot2ATC continued to run, and I was again asked to contact the new center frequency (so Pilot2ATC was still able to detect I had not changed to the correct new center frequency after some delay). Was able to acknowledge that second request using SayIt, not PTT. Dialed in the correct frequency, and tried to contact the new center again. PTT button goes green by no recognized text comes up.

So while Pilot2ATC carries on (plane moving on map, radio window working, etc.) the speech recognition engine crashes, so that's it for the session using voice recognition.

Maybe this will help track why / how a wrongly entered frequency should cause the speech recognition engine to quit or design a trap to catch the error.

Rob

Robin Harris

Rob,

Thanks for the detail. That should help track down the problem.

If you still have the log file from that flight, could you please email it to me.

Thanks,

Dave

Edit: Never mind the log file. I think I found the problem and the fix will be in the next update.

Thanks,

Dave

Dave

Sorry I exited without copying and saving the log. Maybe when I have some time I will try to trigger the error again deliberately dialing in a wrong frequency, and be more diligent about saving the log.

Rob

Robin Harris

Have you tried using the "Pause" button on Pilot2ATC?  That will stop the event firing in P2A while you're gone.

When you get back, as long as you are still at cruise altitude en-route prior to TOD and prior to the first waypoint in a STAR, it should figure out where you are and let you continue from there.

I have not tried this feature on such long flights, but theoretically it should work.  Let us know what you find if you try it.

Dave

I have never noticed the the Pause button before!  Shows how observant I am.  I'll give that a go tonight and report back.

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

i9 12900k | 32GB DDR5 RAM | 2TB Samsung EVO SSD (1TB x 2 in RAID 0) | MSI RTX 3090 | Reverb G2 | RealSimGear TBM900 Panel with Yoko+ TQ6+ & TM TPR Pedals

Dave,

tried it and didn't works. P2A loses the synchronization. Passed in P3D some planned waypoints but after I terminated the break in P2A I've got repeated "off-course" instructions related to the last as "current" registered waypoint. Reached the arrival setup radius and P2A announced STAR/APPR and instructed the stepwise descent but as long the "EnrouteIFRState" didn't changed the "off-course" instructions didn't stopped.

Helge

Helge,

Did you make changes in P3D while P2A was paused?  If so, I would expect the off course calls.

The only way  to change the P2A flight plan that ATC is expecting is to FILE a new flight plan, or to request and get approval from ATC for a different route, approach, etc.

Dave 

No Dave, I didn't changed anything in P3D nor deviated/left the planned route nor tried to change the P2A flight plan.

Flew in P3D the filed flightplan while P2A was paused as you suggested in post's #5 & 7 (intention to make a "break" and let the pc alone on long flights without ongoing frequency changes from P2A). I paused P2A in "EnRouteIFR_State" on CTR-frequency and after leveled out at planned FL + 10 NM and terminated the pause 40 NM before reached the TOD or ArrivalSetupRadius - still "EnRouteIFR_State" and also still in the jurisdiction from normal CTR not APPR. But after that break P2A wasn't able to synchronize the current position in P3D according to the P2A flight plan and ignored the meanwhile passed waypoints. Only the moving map shows the current position but ATC expecting me at the old one before I pauses P2A.

Helge