Sign in to follow this  
ark

CTD After Switching Aircraft

I recently upgraded from Win7 to Win10 and most things in FSX Deluxe seem to be working OK. The two issues I'm having are warnings about low memory (never had that before, physical memory is 16GB), and if I try to switch a/c using the drop down menu when in the FSX window mode I get a CTD every time.

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions,

Al

This may seem obvious, generally fsx users have already done these but worth checking anyway to eliminate them as potential fixes

Have you added the file - UIAutomationCore.dl- provided with Win 32 bit to your main FSX install folder - it should fix the ctds. On accessing menus.

UIAutomationCore.dll version 6.0.6001.1800 file: http://download772.mediafire.com/yxms3tzmwjug/mik2mlqdz1w/UIAutomationCore.zip

it was discovered as a cure for several FSX crash issues and is from 32 bit windows because FSX being 32 bit was unhappy using the x64 bit version in c:\windows\system32

The low memory - fsx can only use 4gigs (ever) so microsoft Did a patch to improve memory management - do you have Either fsx sp1 plus sp2 installed or fsx acceleration

Your FSX.cfg file should also have an entry in the section

[Graphics]

HighmemFix=1

Regards

Kevin

Thanks for the ideas Kevin, but unfortunately I have all that in place. The only difference is I use the UIAutomationCore.dll suggested by PMDG. The UIAutomationCore.dll version 6.0.6001.1800 is the version I've seen suggested for use with FSX-SE.

Al

I have the file in my link in FSX classic Gold edition on my win 10 test pc and it is same file also provided by dovetail in Steam edition on my sim pc

Fsx classic will ctd without it on my setup, so far it is has been ok for months with no ctd

As I see it you have nothing to lose by renaming the version suggested by pmdg and trying the version in the link ?

As I see it you have nothing to lose by renaming the version suggested by pmdg and trying the version in the link ?

Agree, certainly worth trying, but didn't solve the problem. It seems only part of the a/c I try to load gets loaded. However, there is no problem loading these a/c from the opening FSX Free Flight page.  Strange.

Is there a recommended Win10 pagng file size in support of  FSX?

Thx,

Al

darn,

As I understand it - the pagefile really comes in when programs run out of actual memory - with 16 gigs installed and 4 reserved solely for FSX I can't see how the pagefile is relevant- 

However you might want to check it

in the system section control panel > advance system settings > advance > performance section > advanced > virtual memory - change  

I have mine set to custom - windows recommended - 2937 mb (2.937 gigs) for c:\drive ( I have 16 gigs installed) which means a pagefile of 3 gigs is overkill really but I have the space so I'm ok with it

did you just update win 7  to win 10 keeping all programs installed or have you done a full re-install of win 10 and clean install of FSX -

to be honest the update only is fraught with issues and just doesn't work out on some Pc setups

you could try deleting the shaders folder in C:\Users\your username)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX - if you have Steve's dx 10 fixer installed  then the shaders10 folder also should be deleted

FSX will rebuild it for you on next sim start

also if you have saved flights in your documents folder /Flight Simulator X Files - try moving them to a new folder as backup - so fsx resets to the default flight ( if no fix you can move the saves back)

edit -

just thought of graphics driver - is it up to date -

​are you using ezdok camera - the licence can fail.  win 10 is seen as new PC - that requires a refresh using the flight1 installer/purchase file ( re-install only option)

I would not recommend setting a pagefile.  It will definitely not stop the out of memory errors.  My recommendation (see the AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide - link in my signature) is to leave it at System Managed Size.  With FSX you could have tons of memory, a huge pagefile and you will still run out of memory.  When it is telling you you are running out of memory it means you are running out of Virtual Address Space (VAS). Microsoft only gives those with 32 bit applications 4GB's.  FSX is resource intensive and will run out of memory (VAS) fast with high settings and lots of eye-candy enabled.

The low memory - fsx can only use 4gigs (ever) so microsoft Did a patch to improve memory management - do you have Either fsx sp1 plus sp2 installed or fsx acceleration

There is no patch to improve memory management with 64 bit operating systems.  If a person has a 32 bit OS installed, then Microsoft only gives you 2GB's of VAS.  There is a /3GB switch that allows that to be increased.  Everyone should be running FSX on a 64 bit system by now. 

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions,

Please see the AVSIM CTD Guide for suggestions on preventing crashes (see link in my signature).

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim, Kevin,

Thanks very much for the inputs. I will look into the suggestions.

I upgraded from Win7, did not do a clean Win10 install. An interesting thing is I tried FSX-SE today which I also have installed on this system. It does not CTD on aircraft reloads like FSX. One main difference between the two sims is I use Orbx Global with FSX, but not FSX-SE. So maybe there are some issues with Orbx Global that I need to get up to speed on. I also use Rex4 with both sims.

Al