Sign in to follow this  
hitter439

New PC - drive / directory assistance

Hi everyone,

I will be purchasing a new PC and have decided to migrate to P3D vs. FSX as my flight sim (i currently use FS9 on my old PC).  The new PC will be Windows 10 and will have a 256MB SSD and a 1TB mechanical drive.  I have read various previous posts regarding how / where to install P3D and any preferred add-ons for best performance but am still a bit confused - hence my post today.

I would appreciate advice on where to install the following anticipated program purchases as to drive and potential directory / file path:

1) P3D - latest version

2) UTX & REX or ORBX scenery / textures

3) ASN 2016

4) Add-on aircraft (A2A, Alabeo, PMDG, etc.)

5) AI traffic add-on (not sure which one yet)

6) ATC program

Thank you very much.

Jeff

Anyplace but the default Windows Programs(x86) folder for P3D, a few things install to their default location such as PMDG within the P3D folders and AS2016 to Programs(x86). I usually let all the cats and dogs install where that installer has as a default.  It really doesn't matter much, but what I did on my SSD C: drive as start with C:\P3D\P3Dv3  which accommodates future updates past v3.

Dan Downs KCRP

I'd suggest you use that 1TB for P3D and purchase another.  Leave your SSD for windows

Thank you both very much.  jfmitch I do seem to remember reading that LM recommended saving P3D to an SSD - but I certainly could be wrong.

You get a little better performance in loading textures but not really enough to make a significant difference. Faster loading of the OS is a much better use if you only have one SSD.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Thanks everyone for your advice. 

If I understand correctly, P3D should not be installed in the Programs (x86) folder however ASN 2016 should be.  All other add-ons can be installed to their suggested default location. 

Another question if I may - do all Flight Sim related programs need to reside on the same drive or it doesn't matter.  Sorry for the ignorance, I have only had PC's with one drive before so multiple drives will be a bit new to me.

do all Flight Sim related programs need to reside on the same drive or it doesn't matter.

It usually doesn't matter. I have two workstations set up with the newer faster hosting P3D and all the stuff added to it while the other hosts PFPX, Navigraph Charts, and my office stuff. I suggest you keep all your downloads on that 1TB drive if it is not going be the system drive. My flightsim download folders are huge.

My use of multiple drives goes back at least a decade, and prices have declined tremendously, in fact I have a 3TB third drive just to keep a copy of the entire P3D installed on my C: drive, as well as hosting the Windows backups. The important thing is to keep it organized.

Dan Downs KCRP

I'd suggest you use that 1TB for P3D and purchase another.  Leave your SSD for windows

My new machine will have a 500 GB SD. Why leave almost the entire disk unused ?  On my current machine Win 10 uses less than 20 Gb.

My new machine will have a 500 GB SD.

Agree, my P3D folder is about 200GB and I expect it to grow but not double.  My downloaded files that normally reside in the windows download folder is another 120GB, and this i recommended using the 1TB drive instead of C: so you have plenty of room for Windows, P3D and the add-on programs that you'll install.

Dan Downs KCRP