Sign in to follow this  

Can't get enough of this autogen. Let me know if you're interested in my ultra LOD secret sauce.

747-400%20United_5.png?raw=1

• Upvote 1

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

What FPS are you getting? This absolutely kills my machine unfortuantely :-(

30 FPS locked. It's only possible with the 4790K CPU at maximum speed (around 4.6 Ghz with standard cooling) I suppose. Or of course the newer 6XXX chips, don't know how X-Plane likes their lower clockspeed.

If you're having issues with autogen / LOD related FPS drops (everybody has them), try this tool, it's a revelation:

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/31097-3jfps-control-keep-good-fps-by-automatic-adaption-of-view-distance-cloud-quality

It basically lowers your LOD to keep 30 FPS (or your custom value) on the fly, and it also allows you to easily double the LOD compared to "Very High" in areas where your system will allow it. It's extremely useful, as it seems to even the render load, killing occasional stutters. I have never flown so smooth before.

I am not using the integrated cloud tools as I am flying with SMP.

• Upvote 1

-

30 FPS locked. It's only possible with the 4790K CPU at maximum speed (around 4.6 Ghz with standard cooling) I suppose. Or of course the newer 6XXX chips, don't know how X-Plane likes their lower clockspeed.

If you're having issues with autogen / LOD related FPS drops (everybody has them), try this tool, it's a revelation:

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/31097-3jfps-control-keep-good-fps-by-automatic-adaption-of-view-distance-cloud-quality

It basically lowers your LOD to keep 30 FPS (or your custom value) on the fly, and it also allows you to easily double the LOD compared to "Very High" in areas where your system will allow it. It's extremely useful, as it seems to even the render load, killing occasional stutters. I have never flown so smooth before.

I am not using the integrated cloud tools as I am flying with SMP.

Will give that plugin a go when i get chance, looks like could be very good.

30 FPS locked. It's only possible with the 4790K CPU at maximum speed (around 4.6 Ghz with standard cooling) I suppose

Interesting, I have it running at 4.4 Ghz and I am far away from 30fps over Manhattan. Do you set LOD to very high and objects to extreme? And at what resolution?

Hans

Interesting, I have it running at 4.4 Ghz and I am far away from 30fps over Manhattan. Do you set LOD to very high and objects to extreme? And at what resolution?

Yes. At 1600 x 900 or lower with a GTX980ti. Even though Autogen is CPU work and resolution should not be a factor, there is a correlation. I think with this CPU, running 30 FPS in 1920 x 1080 requires a GTX1080. 

I do encourage everybody to try to run X-Plane in a lower resolution, the benefits are worth it.

-

Yes. At 1600 x 900 or lower with a GTX980ti. Even though Autogen is CPU work and resolution should not be a factor, there is a correlation. I think with this CPU, running 30 FPS in 1920 x 1080 requires a GTX1080. 

I do encourage everybody to try to run X-Plane in a lower resolution, the benefits are worth it.

I just cant run any game at anything apart from native resolution, looks terrible when looking at the monitor to me.

• Upvote 1

I just cant run any game at anything apart from native resolution, looks terrible when looking at the monitor to me.

Well, to me it depends on the quality of Antialiasing. Also I am running X-Plane on a Sony 55" TV, which is better at upscaling than a regular monitor.

-

I just purchased a GTX 1080 and I am now definitely limited by my CPU (i5 2500k pushed to 4Ghz), I barely get 15fps in Philadelphia, so I know New York is will be an issue.

I am running...

• 1080p resolution
  • extended dsf
  • HDR with highest AA settings (8)
  • Fill In trees
  • Extreme Objects
  • Extreme Roads (or maybe 2nd highest setting)
  • Siberian Winter cars
  • Overlay Shadows
  • Complete Water
  • No added scenery stuff (like HD Mesh or W2P)

Do you think a higher CPU will get me 30fps? And if so, which CPU would you recommend? I am looking at upgrading my CPU & MB but I don't know what CPUs can do these days as far as 4+ Ghz etc. 

I don't want to spend more money for very little return.

First please set water to "low" ... "complete" is a CPU killer, it's not worth it. (You can have SMP clouds reflect with the "low" setting, which is half the rent.)

Objects, trees and streets maxed, cars at the lowest setting. That is the way to go. Are you running 10.50b, because the Autogen ist faster now?

Autogen performance is always limited by CPU. So yes, you will get more performance by getting the fastest CPU. You should get the newest Intel generation "Skylake", i7-6700K CPU with matching motherboard and DDR4 RAM. Get a better CPU cooler to get some headroom for overclocking.

It will only be marginally faster than the old Intel Haswell-E i7-4790K setup (which would be cheaper), but it will be more future-proof (maybe it'll take a new CPU once it becomes available). Sad truth is that Intel fails to improve per-core raw performance for a couple of years now (where are 5 or 6 Ghz CPU's ??)

-

Wow - maybe New York City XP wasn't such a smart purchase after all...

First please set water to "low" ... "complete" is a CPU killer, it's not worth it. (You can have SMP clouds reflect with the "low" setting, which is half the rent.)

Objects, trees and streets maxed, cars at the lowest setting. That is the way to go. Are you running 10.50b, because the Autogen ist faster now?

Autogen performance is always limited by CPU. So yes, you will get more performance by getting the fastest CPU. You should get the newest Intel generation "Skylake", i7-6700K CPU with matching motherboard and DDR4 RAM. Get a better CPU cooler to get some headroom for overclocking.

It will only be marginally faster than the old Intel Haswell-E i7-4790K setup (which would be cheaper), but it will be more future-proof (maybe it'll take a new CPU once it becomes available). Sad truth is that Intel fails to improve per-core raw performance for a couple of years now (where are 5 or 6 Ghz CPU's ??)

Thanks for your reply.

I am running the latest 10.50 beta. Ditched all of my W2P scenery expecting the new autogen to really look good. Philly is nice, haven't tried NY yet (the vids are awesome), but Miami is lacking along the coastline (south beach). I am now considering DD Miami City XP, but I want to get my performance issues dialed in first prior to getting anything else for XP.

I will take a look at the newer cpu you suggested. I had the Haswell-E i7-4790K, motherboard, and cooler priced at $550 this morning. I will see where the Skylake takes me price wise, but I agree, Intel should be pushing 5+ Ghz by now.

I have a 3770k CPU and a 960GTX (4gb) Video card. My CPU is overclocked to 4.7 (with water cooling) and I also overclocked the bus, video card and memory. My computer is close to 3 1/2 years old now, except for video card, which is about a little over a year now I think.

Anyhow, I live in NYC and I spend a lot of time flying there in X-plane. NYC is by far the most demanding place to fly in either X-plane, P3D or FSX, because of the close proximity of all 3 major airports and a hugh city in between. If you can get good FPS here, your good pretty much anywhere else you go in the sim! It a great place to benchmark performance and settings. This CPU, seems to run XP so well, I just don't see any reason to upgrade right now and I'm an upgrade junkie!  I'm dying to build a new computer just because I enjoy buying the parts and building a new computer, but this one is running so well, I just can't part with it. at some point it may die from the overclock, but that's ok, I had a few great years of use out of it and that will give me a good reason to build a new one. so far its not overheating and has never crashed on me in the last 3 years running at this speed.

I took a few screen shots of NYC today using the new Lagardia 2020 scenery. I used Fraps to display FPS, but for some reason, the FPS did not show up. I don't feel like taking new ones now, but I was getting between 34 and 46 FPS in these shots. At one point it dropped to 32 for a few seconds. NOt sure how I feel about this proposed Laguardia airport. Looks good on paper, but I need to see it in person when its done. The old one is in bad need of a renovation! Its a dump!

I'm running 10.5, DD Manahattan, World Traffic, Maxxfx, DD design NY Airports, RTH and a few small scenery addons for NYC. 

Rob

8_zpsfmv0bhqz.jpg

9_zpsrqtz5vim.jpg

2_zpsize7c1ow.jpg

3_zpsinwwdpan.jpg

6_zpswieer0vj.jpg

5_zps5ptn12xz.jpg

1_zpswayg2mxv.jpg

11_zpsyktqsjdr.jpg

10_zpsscsnqckr.jpg

2_zpsawsycfy2.jpg

The Port Autority Proposed KLGA

13_zpsucbu8l7d.jpg

12_zpsn7pqdmgk.jpg

• Upvote 6

Really wish I could run DSF extended with Ortho. The second I turn that on, the FPS tanks.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB