Sign in to follow this  

@Commanche

Nice pics. I don't know much about OCing my cpu. My motherboard allows me to adjust the turbo boost speed to 4Ghz, but I am not sure how to take it higher (at a constant) without breaking something or having to go with a sophisticated cooler.

But yeah, if I could get 30, even 20 fps (1/3 vsinc in NI) in NY, it would be a smooth enough flight for me.

Where are you maxing out in Xplane stats, the CPU or the GPU?

I have a 3770k CPU and a 960GTX (4gb) Video card. My CPU is overclocked to 4.7 (with water cooling) and I also overclocked the bus, video card and memory. My computer is close to 3 1/2 years old now, except for video card, which is about a little over a year now I think.

Anyhow, I live in NYC and I spend a lot of time flying there in X-plane. NYC is by far the most demanding place to fly in either X-plane, P3D or FSX, because of the close proximity of all 3 major airports and a hugh city in between. If you can get good FPS here, your good pretty much anywhere else you go in the sim! It a great place to benchmark performance and settings. This CPU, seems to run XP so well, I just don't see any reason to upgrade right now and I'm an upgrade junkie!  I'm dying to build a new computer just because I enjoy buying the parts and building a new computer, but this one is running so well, I just can't part with it. at some point it may die from the overclock, but that's ok, I had a few great years of use out of it and that will give me a good reason to build a new one. so far its not overheating and has never crashed on me in the last 3 years running at this speed.

I took a few screen shots of NYC today using the new Lagardia 2020 scenery. I used Fraps to display FPS, but for some reason, the FPS did not show up. I don't feel like taking new ones now, but I was getting between 34 and 46 FPS in these shots. At one point it dropped to 32 for a few seconds. NOt sure how I feel about this proposed Laguardia airport. Looks good on paper, but I need to see it in person when its done. The old one is in bad need of a renovation! Its a dump!

I'm running 10.5, DD Manahattan, World Traffic, Maxxfx, DD design NY Airports, RTH and a few small scenery addons for NYC. 

Rob

Those are some damn fine shots. Among the best I suppose. Unfortunately 2x SSAA is unbearable for me,  and medium LOD isn't enough for the autogen to look convincing. Trade-off's, what would we do without them ;)

Here's a shot from rc1 with FPS proof ;)

VSL%20TRIKE%20S-1%20FLOATER_4.png?raw=1

I'm running 10.5, DD Manahattan, World Traffic, Maxxfx, DD design NY Airports, RTH and a few small scenery addons for NYC. 

BTW, how many flight plans? With reasonable big hub traffic, WT gives me bad pauses / microstutters.

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

Tried something different, dialed AA off in the sim and put it to 8X and 8XSGSS in the inspector. I think I can't complain with about 23 fps over Manhattan at 4K then. 

Screenshot2016-08-0510.50.26.jpg

Screenshot2016-08-0510.51.03.jpg

Hans

Tried something different, dialed AA off in the sim and put it to 8X and 8XSGSS in the inspector. I think I can't complain with about 23 fps over Manhattan at 4K then. 

I was lead to believe that it didnt work in NI at all for XP.

I was lead to believe that it didnt work in NI at all for XP.

It doesn't affect X-Plane at all.

You may however inject whatever AA you'd like via the art controls.

-

It doesn't affect X-Plane at all.

Sorry to disagree Rob, it works. What does not work is the anisotropic filtering. It may also be that the SGSS is not visibly influencing anything but the AA setting positively works. Try it yourself, set AA to none in the sim, then put it to 2/4/8 and see what it does.

Hans

I was lead to believe that it didnt work in NI at all for XP

With HDR off, you can use NI to control AA.

Sorry to disagree Rob, it works. What does not work is the anisotropic filtering. It may also be that the SGSS is not visibly influencing anything but the AA setting positively works. Try it yourself, set AA to none in the sim, then put it to 2/4/8 and see what it does.

What is SGSS?

I have of course tried it, in Windows 7 and 10. It never worked. I think it's common knowledge that ist doesn't work with X-Plane - at least not in HDR mode. What are your versions of Windows and nVidia drivers?

-

With HDR off, you can use NI to control AA.

Ah ... ok. Well, with HDR off, I might as well use P3D ;)

-

NVIDIA 368.81, WIN 10. 

I also thought that it doesn't work. Didn't try it before because after changing to the 4K display my 970 card struggled anyway and it was better to keep the AA down. I am now running a 980ti and after seeing the nice new autogen I wanted it also to be nicely AA'd. However, with the XP settings for AA on high the frames over Manhattan are only between 12 and 15. So I tried NI again. I can't say what it does but the lines are smooth and the in-game setting is "none".

SGSS is Sparse Grid Super Sampling.

Hans

HDR is on.

Then either something was changed in 10.5 or you must be running a very special combination of hardware and drivers which allows setting AA through NI in HDR mode.

For most of us, setting AA in NI has no effect on the sims apperance at all when HDR is active.

Yould you mind sharing some screenshots of your rendering options and NI settings?

Maybe give it a try again. I'll post comparison screenshots later.

Hans

Maybe give it a try again. I'll post comparison screenshots later.

Hallo Hans,

could you tell me what Graphic Card and 4K monitor you use