Sign in to follow this  
3Green

2D landing views

Guest william273

thanks wolfgang. i am hoping it's one of the 3 you mentioned and am trying to fine tune everything. i'm using all the flaps i've got and at the proper flap speeds. will have a closer look at my weights and approach speeds. i am assuming from what you've said then that YOU are landing without raising the seat. sorry to go on like this about this seat raising issue but it's truely bothersome to have to use shift/enter. not so much hitting the keys but changing the view messes up my perspective at to critical a time. might not mean much to alot of people but it really annoys me. thanks, william

William:One more thing. To set these things as default, so you dont have to adjust them in flight, open the panel.cfg file for the particular airliner you're flying. Check for the following entries, located near the top of the text:[VIEWS]VIEW_FORWARD_WINDOWS=MAIN_PANEL,RADIO_STACK_PANEL,THROTTLE_PANEL,OVERHEAD_PANEL,GPS_PANELVIEW_FORWARD_DIR=2.000, 0.000, 360.000VIEW_FORWARD_DIR= represents the view angle of the forward window, in this case, your view out of the windscreen. Higher numbers give you a better view down, so if yours is not sufficient, change it to something like 2.5 or 3.0. Be judicious, those .5 increments have a noticeable and sometimes dramatic effect. Make sure to save your changes, then exit and reload that aircraft, and see if your approach views are more to your liking. Tweak as necessary. Remember higher numbers are more runway, lower numbers more sky. This works for all 2-D view directions by the way, so if your side views are insufficient, change 'em! Lemme know!http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:GuIf...omestead/imagesAlex ChristoffN562ZBaltimore, MD

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

Flaps should allow you to lower your pitch attitude as flaps change the chord of the wing and increase the angle of attack.----------------------------------------------------------------John MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satillite, Private ASEL 141.2 hrs, 314 landings, 46 inst. apprs.Virtual: MSFS 2004"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

Guest allcott

>Flaps should allow you to lower your pitch attitude as flaps>change the chord of the wing and increase the angle of>attack.>>---------------------------------------------------------------->John Morgan>Too sweeping a generalisation, but occasionally correct. Not all flaps act as lift-enhancement devices, and not all increase the chord of the wing. Some are used to DECREASE the Angle of Attack. The relationship between AOA and flap increments is dependant on many more factors than just the flaps, and other aerodynamic effects (including wing design, engine power and location) may intrude more on the final result in terms of AOA than the flaps. In real life I fly three different aircraft. The first pitches up on flaps application, the second pitches down, and the third hardly notices the flaps at all, except to slow down a bit!Allcott

Guest william273

thanks alex, i'll check it out. william

Guest tdragger

Another thing you might consider is opening a second view window (press the left bracket key) and switching to Spot Plane view. This would give you an outside persecptive to help judge your height above ground. I've attached an example.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/131850.jpg

Guest william273

good idea. thanks william

Guest william273

that's an idea. one reason to put those views to use. never had a need for 'em before. thanks, william

Guest william273

EEEK!!! i did it! i landed the default 747 with its over grown panel WITHOUT raising the seat. it IS possible. i used 30% fuel in the center tank and 20% in the left, right tanks and left the rest empty. for the payload i halved all the default weights for each station then flew the auto pilot and locked onto the localizer in approach mode. i manualy used the throttle and added more or less power for whatever was needed to keep the glide slope centered which turned out to be about 180 knots. i intercepted the localizer about 20 miles out just to give me enough room {to far i know} and at 4500 ft above sea level. runway came and stayed in sight all the way to touchdown! so apparently we might NOT need to raise the seat if we calculate fuel and payload weight correctly. i just happen to hit the mark on a lucky guess this time. pass the word to whoever might want to know this. i'm giddy with excitement. thanks again for everyones help. william

There ya go! Congrats.......you know the secret. On short hops in airliners, try 33% fuel in all tanks. Adjust flap and power to the desired pitch / airspeed. Viola! It works for me.http://www.graphics-free.com/animations/tr...ges/plane_6.gifAlex ChristoffN562ZBaltimore, MD

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

I'm not refering to initial pitch tendancies when applying flaps. Yes, some will momentarily nose up or over, or not at all, when applied, but all aircraft will require less pitch attitude to maintain the same angle of attack. I do not know of any aircraft that has a higher nose-up attitude with flaps down, than with flaps up, on approach. As illustrated in the figure, the relative wind is shown with the green line and the chord of the wing is shown with the blue line.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/131890.jpg----------------------------------------------------------------John MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satillite, Private ASEL 141.2 hrs, 314 landings, 46 inst. apprs.Virtual: MSFS 2004"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

Guest william273

thanks alex and will do. guess i just needed to go alittle deeper in the fuel and payload area. william

20 miles is not at all an unreasonable final for such a heavy jet. Seriously. Its a lot for a 727 or 737, but not for the jumbo jet. You can look that up!Regards,http://www.graphics-free.com/animations/tr...ges/plane_6.gifAlex ChristoffN562ZBaltimore, MD