Sign in to follow this  
twojastara

Looking for ideas for flights in North America

Hi,

I am usually flying in Europe, but since ORBX released OpenLC NA, I would love to do some flights in US.

I am looking for ideas for short flights, with length range around 100-200nm in some interesting, scenic areas.

Maybe you had already discovered some great places, and you could share?

I would love to hear your suggestions.

Thanks,

Lukasz

Lukasz Kulasek

i7-8700k, RTX 2080 TI, 32 GB RAM, ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming, Oculus Rift CV1

Hi Lukasz!

Start in Portland at the west coast and go north along the shore or "dive" into the Fjords.

Scott

I've flown the length of Route 66 (The Mother Highway).

San Diego to the Olympics along the Pacific.

New Orleans to Key West via Orlando/Cocoa Beach/Miami/Fort Meyers/Tampa

San Diego/Tuscon/ShoLow AZ/Socorro NM/Albuquerque

Fly the Interstate Highways

Lots of great places to explore on those flightplans

System:   AMD FX-9370 4.4GHz, 16G RAM, Asus Crosshair V Formula Z, MSI 1080ti STRIXI, Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit, Coolermaster Cosmos case, 1200W PSU, 1-256G Intel SSD, 4-512G Samsung 840 Pro SSDs, 1-1Tb Samsung 840 Pro SS, 6Tb+ external USB disk space, Prepar3D V4.3, All MegaSceneryEarth, REX OD, All ORBX

Hi,

I am usually flying in Europe, but since ORBX released OpenLC NA, I would love to do some flights in US.

I am looking for ideas for short flights, with length range around 100-200nm in some interesting, scenic areas.

Maybe you had already discovered some great places, and you could share?

I would love to hear your suggestions.

Thanks,

Lukasz

Hi,

The OLC NA offers interest especially outside the FTX regions because the regions had already OLC. The only thing that has been added to the regions are the lights.

If you have access to ORBX forums, Holger explains that : http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/118627-na-lc-within-ftx-regions/  Post #4.

So, now I prefer to explore the rest of NA outside FTX regions. Here's what I do. Rather than create a flight plan, I choose in Google Earth two airports not too distant from each other and I try to follow the (car)roads that I spotted on G_earth in visual flight, very challenging. To have the roads correctly placed it's necessary to have Global Vectors.

I thus discover new landscape with forests cities placed correctly with the new OLC.

At this time I explore Colorado, it's just great.

Hope this help.

Regards,

Richard Portier

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

I am looking for ideas for short flights

The ORBX official forum has a subforum where people post flight plans for just such flights.

Thank you all for your suggestions, I will check each of them.

Have a nice day!

Lukasz Kulasek

i7-8700k, RTX 2080 TI, 32 GB RAM, ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming, Oculus Rift CV1

While this is kind of an ad for my VA you might give us a look (see my sign below).  Each month we offer a planned "event" flight(s) for members and a listing of "Destinations" suitable for your use.  We specialize in GA type aircraft.  Hope to see you soon  :smile:

I once grabbed a Bonanza and toured the (old) Erie Canal down to the Hudson. Did some research on Wikipedia first and used Plan-G to plan and track my flight. I was pleasantly surprised that I was - thanks to UTX - really able to follow the entire canal in FSX.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

thanks to UTX - really able to follow the entire canal in FSX.

I guess you wanted to speak about "FTX" ? ;-)

Regards,

Richard Portier

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

Van Nuys Airport to Palm Springs or Big Bear is always a good one. 

Flying in and out of Big Bear is a great challenge due to the high altitude. 

Matthew Kane

Orbx addon airport L70 is a nice airport to fly, if you have Orbx PSP and 29Palms KTNP you can fly around the high desert very challenging and fun. Then hop from PSP east to PHX, Flightbeam has a great addon for that airport.

How good a job did Orbx SCA do with L35 Big Bear? I am a bit spoiled by all the addon scenery the default airports that do not blend into the terrain and have only a basic default building with static aircraft is no fun! I hope Orbx does Mammoth and Big Bear airports for addon scenery.

THey are doing Big Bear.... well "Turbulent Designs" is doing it...  I think that's the Russ White team, I'm not exactly sure.

• Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

THey are doing Big Bear.... well "Turbulent Designs" is doing it...  I think that's the Russ White team, I'm not exactly sure.

Great. And is that the same design group doing Mammoth?