Sign in to follow this  
roadrabbit316

Baron Flap Position 'APH'

OK - I'm ready to be shot down in flames - but:

On the Beech Baron Be58 flaps, the mid position is marked APH.

Well, I've looked everywhere (obviously my search criteria are no good for Google) and cannot find any glossary or Pilot's Handbook which defines it. The handbooks all use it, 'cos it's there on the panel, but no-one says what it means.

Nearest I can guess is "Actually Precisely Half" of the available flap range  :Tounge:

Anyone got a clue?

Bert's pretty good!  3 positions, flaps up, flaps approach position and flaps down for landing!  Who'd a thunk! :wink:

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Strange how you can be misled by experience - of course it's "Approach"  :wub:

I guess because I have mainly flown aircraft where flaps were always set away from UP on all take-offs, I never thought it would be signed as if for approach use only.

It means that the before take-off check list item <'Flaps' .............   Check and set for Take-Off> in the official Baron Handbook means check they are UP?

A question though: Do no Baron operators use 15 degs flap for use on short/rough runways to reduce take-off run?

If it's a short runway takeoff, I will generally set the flaps down 1 position (Approach) and go from there.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

A question though: Do no Baron operators use 15 degs flap for use on short/rough runways to reduce take-off run?

John,

The Baron POH/AFM I have (B58/58A 1977-83) does not have a short field procedure. Flaps are up on takeoff.

I'm sure you could you find a procedure or come up with one. The question is, are you willing to bet your life that both engines will always be working, particularly when you need them the most.

The problem is what happens if an engine fails. If you rotate below or at Vmc (minimum control airspeed) and lose an engine, loss of control is what you are faced with.

For further reading, google "Always Leave Yourself an Out - Richard N. Aarons" - and "FAA-P-8740-66" which is the FAA's "Flying Light Twins Safely". Both are short but excellent reads.

Rob

As long as John was willing to fess up with his APH question (I had the same question), I have one of my own: Online, in POH nor elsewhere, am I unable to find max gear extend speed for the B60 Royal Duke  The X-Plane POH does give flap speeds (with that same APH reference!), but the checklist says nothing of the gear beyond ... lowering it.  Does anyone know, please?  Thanks.

This from the kneeboard:

Flaps

APPROACH (15 degrees; when below 152 KIAS) APH must be an abreviasion,as there isn't a lot of Space to fit the entire Word.

In the actual panel ! The Flaps indicator shows: "0"-"50" & "100%"

Berlopez