Sign in to follow this  
richie894

First impressions

I just downloaded P3D last night - wow... night and day from FSX. I am just running it stock and have not gotten around to adding any of the extras yet - ASN, REX etc.

All I have added thus far is UK2000 Heathrow, Aerosoft A319 and some World of AI traffic to get a feel for it compared to FSX. With FSX I was getting 8-10 fps when taxing around Heathrow - basically a slide-show. And I consider I have an ok computer too. With P3D it is so much smoother and crisp. I am getting almost 20 fps around the airport which is great. Also the AI aircraft is so much better looking and there are no jagged edges or blurred lines in the virtual cockpit.

Finally I have something half decent! Now I need to get myself Orbx when it goes cheap in their December sale and I will be all set!

• Upvote 1

Now I need to get myself Orbx when it goes cheap in their December sale and I will be all set!

My first add-on choice would be AS2016+ASCA... big step forward from ASN.

Just keep in mind orbx and Heathrow will probably lead to an oom! :)

Chris

Maybe not, I have UK2000 Heathrow and Orbx FTX EU ENG, absolutely no problem with VAS.

Dan Downs KCRP

All depends on your settings. Orbx and London Region are well known to oom if you get carried away with the sliders and fly complex jets. That's why I put a smiley, a bit tongue in cheek but certainly a candidate for an oom!

Chris

Toatally agree ftx england and aerosoft egll will oom mostly likely on north approaches never found a compromise setting. Even had it with open lc Europe only   . Just downloading sp5 for testing but doublt there will be any improvement for vas .

Colin hodds

I7 9700K,nvidia 3090 ,ssd ,32gig 3200mhz ram ,win10,prep3d

aerosoft egll

Agree with this, I noted I was not having problems with UK2000 EGLL. However, I had to remove the Aerosoft (aerobloat?) EGLL, holy cow it was a ridiculous drain on resources.  The UK2000 airport is not as pretty but it works.

Dan Downs KCRP

If you don't install the numerous addons of course you will see better performance! The benefits I see from watching others is the stability and bug fixes, better memory management, and similar not better fps numbers. I haven't taken the P3D plunge just yet, am only dreaming about it now, as I save up for the PMDG addons for P3D.

If you don't install the numerous addons of course you will see better performance! The benefits I see from watching others is the stability and bug fixes, better memory management, and similar not better fps numbers. I haven't taken the P3D plunge just yet, am only dreaming about it now, as I save up for the PMDG addons for P3D.

The only difference between was that I did not install ASN and REX. Everything else in the Heathrow setup I tried was identical to what I had in FSX. I can not imagine those two items make much difference. Once I get around to getting everything set up I will report back if the fps drop significantly.

Unless your system is pushed to the edge, ASN or any weather program will, by itself, have little effect on performance. The cpu cycles used are minimal and should have littler effect. The clouds, however, whether they be default or anyone else's will have the most effect. Not too much you can do other than try fewer cloud layers, not use 4096 textures, etc.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors