Sign in to follow this  
Foxtrot_Sim

Figuring out 1800.WX.Brief

Hello!

I hope I'm in the right place, but I've been a student pilot for almost a year, I'm going on my extended cross county in 2 days and I had some questions regarding Lockheed Martin's weather briefing service. I have used it before to file flights. But every time when they ask me if I want any weather briefings, I need to get my instructor because I never know what to ask for. Most of my training has been along the North/South Sacramento valley and North Coast, so that is what I usually ask for, but now since I'm going to new places, I need to know what areas to ask for for the current weather conditions. 

Is there a roster or map of every area that 1800.WX.Brief covers when asking for weather briefings? I know its not as simple as "all of California" or "That one dam near Mt. Diablo." and I need to know what to ask for for them to know where I am going, and what I need to know (along such places). 

I hope I worded that correctly...

Thanks! 

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hello!

I hope I'm in the right place, but I've been a student pilot for almost a year, I'm going on my extended cross county in 2 days and I had some questions regarding Lockheed Martin's weather briefing service. I have used it before to file flights. But every time when they ask me if I want any weather briefings, I need to get my instructor because I never know what to ask for. Most of my training has been along the North/South Sacramento valley and North Coast, so that is what I usually ask for, but now since I'm going to new places, I need to know what areas to ask for for the current weather conditions. 

Is there a roster or map of every area that 1800.WX.Brief covers when asking for weather briefings? I know its not as simple as "all of California" or "That one dam near Mt. Diablo." and I need to know what to ask for for them to know where I am going, and what I need to know (along such places). 

I hope I worded that correctly...

Thanks!

I would suggest doing a search for a forum called Pilots of America, good forum and good people all real world pilots. This forum is for FLight Simulators.

Now for your question, when calling for a briefing fill out the FAA Flight plan form give them the information in the order it is on the form, Aircraft, type, departure, arrival, time off, route of flight, etc, etc down the form. (That was from memory so it may be a different order).

Once they have that ask for a Standard Brefing. This gets you weather on your route of flight, NOTAMs, TFR's, and relevant AIRMET and SIGMETs.

Once you pass your check ride you will do this through Foreflight or the web, but we all have to call the number at least for training. With that said, I do call the number if there is weather or something that I am not sure abuout. The person that you are talking to is probably not a meteorologist but I have found that they seem to know what they are talking about.

Good luck I know you will do well, look forward to seeing you joining the ranks of real world pilots soon,

Thanks so much. I did forget about just asking for a standard en-route briefing and I will for now on. It was special areas like the North Coast or North/South Sac valley I was curious about.  

Sign in to follow this