Sign in to follow this  
Boeing or not going

Is it true Emirates doesn't have the altitude alert sound?

I am using the certified config for Emirates. I just want to double check, their fleet does not use the altitude alert sound? It seems weird why an airline would choose that option. If you have inside info please let me know if that is correct. Thank you - David Lee

It' s a while since I stopped flying for them, but when I did, they did use the altitude alert. They used a pretty standard config and ECL.

I am not familiar with the config files you mentioned. I normally just fly the T7 as it is, maybe change the units to kgs for my liking.

• Upvote 1

Regards, Perry

I am using the certified config for Emirates. I just want to double check, their fleet does not use the altitude alert sound? It seems weird why an airline would choose that option. If you have inside info please let me know if that is correct. Thank you - David Lee

I can't speak for Emirates but some airlines have non-standard configurations with regards to altitude alert. For example the IXEG 737 altitude alert does not sound if the autopilot is on, and that's confirmed by the devs as the correct (Lufthansa IIRC) configuration.

It' s a while since I stopped flying for them, but when I did, they did use the altitude alert. They used a pretty standard config and ECL.

I am not familiar with the config files you mentioned. I normally just fly the T7 as it is, maybe change the units to kgs for my liking.

Thanks! Does the 777 fleet all have heading, not track on the nd? And what are the altitude callouts? Everything from 2500-10 ? The official pmdg repaint has a real config but I'd like to hear if anything else is not right. Do you do flap 15 takeoff normally? Any other info I'd appreciate. I am obsessed with following by the book. - David Lee

Yes they have heading up.

For the callouts I think it was everything, but let me check the manual.

Flaps 5 for normal takeoff, Flaps 20 for wet, short runway, or windshear possibility.

On shorthaul flights or light aircraft (up to 7 h) a huge thrust reduction on takeoff, e.g. assumed temperature 56 could be used (depending on performance calculation). Climb thrust 2 for the subsequent climb.

Climb reduction and acceleration at 1500' if non noise limited, otherwise 1500' clb thrust and 3000' acceleration.

• Upvote 2

Regards, Perry

Great thread, this, and great insights, Perry. Thanks

No problem, just ask if you like to know something specific. I hope I remember ;)

For takeoff I forgot to mention LNAV and VNAV are armed (during ground prep).

Cost Index: They used 70 when I started in 2007, which gives a decent cruise speed and descent speed. Unfortunately after the financial crisis they started to reduce to around 30, from what I hear. (I use the Simbrief value.)

Cruise level according semicircular rules and optimum flight level. Wait till optimum is 1000 above the current level (FMS VNAV page) then do the step climb. (Or use auto step climb)

Cruise speed as FMS calculated, depending on cost index. For NAT crossing they use M.83

• Upvote 1

Regards, Perry

o problem, just ask if you like to know something specific. I hope I remember ;)

Cost Index: They used 70 when I started in 2007, which gives a decent cruise speed and descent speed. Unfortunately after the financial crisis they started to reduce to around 30, from what I hear. (I use the Simbrief value.)

Cruise level according semicircular rules and optimum flight level. Wait till optimum is 1000 above the current level (FMS VNAV page) then do the step climb. (Or use auto step climb)

Cruise speed as FMS calculated, depending on cost index. For NAT crossing they use M.83

Great info.  Thanks Perry

No problem, just ask if you like to know something specific. I hope I remember ;)

Thanks. When you have a chance to get the callouts that would be nice. According to some posts on the main fsx forum and pprune they started using 200 cost index, 30% cruise cg setting in the fmc, and no de-rate for climb thrust. - David Lee

@Perry

Are you in a position to comment on what transpired on Rwy 12L at OMDB yesterday?

They use all the callouts from 2500 to 10.

CI 200 is a good value for high speed cruise.

What type of descents are used? vnav? Or vertical speed? Level change? Are any speeds changed on climb or descent or are both done by the fmc based on the vnav and cost index? Any basic guidance for the usage of lights, such as runway lights on at transition altitude or when cleared to land? Runway turnoff on for taxi or only when entering runway? And when to turn off? The logo light only used at night or also in lower vis? Sorry for all the questions. As I said I really love to do things "by the book." I can't find any Justplanes type videos for Emirates and not much cockpit videos out there either. EK is my new favorite airline to fly with good liveatc coverage of DXB and a lot of fun airports the 77L and 77W serve covered by the flightsim scenery community. Too bad we are a year or more away from FTX OpenLC coverage of Africa/ME and Asia though. Thanks again! - David Lee

@Perry

Are you in a position to comment on what transpired on Rwy 12L at OMDB yesterday?

Hi Rick, unfortunately not. I only know what's in the papers.

From what I understand they wanted to make a Go Around. Then the aircraft did not climb and they reversed the go around decision and crash landed?

• Upvote 1

Regards, Perry

What type of descents are used? vnav? Or vertical speed? Level change? Are any speeds changed on climb or descent or are both done by the fmc based on the vnav and cost index

For the descent normally the FMC speed is used.

If you notice to be above profile you could open the speed window and use 310 (>10k) before using speed brakes.

On the otherhand if you get closer to the approach and maybe a bit below profile you can use vertical speed to correct.

It iwas EK policy to always use the highest level of automation, e.g LNAV/VNAV before using autopilot basic modes like track select and flightpath angle and only then flying without AP.

For the approach: Intercepting the ILS with Flaps 5 and speed accordingly gives you enough time to stabilize the aircraft, especially when coming in from a long flight (Unless you are far out).

Glideslope alive select gear down and flaps 20, arm speed brake and display the ECL.

Landing flaps 30 selected latest at 1500 AGL in order to be established at 1000' IMC or 500' AGL.

You could handfly the approach and follow the flight director, but mostly we switched off the AP around 1000' according their above mentioned policy.

After touch down idle reverse (if possible) and ABS braking.

Taxi in: Engines 3' idle, APU running, no narrow turns, acft weight permitting they shut down one engine (normally left)

Info about lights to follow ;)

• Upvote 3

Regards, Perry

Great information, Perry and thanks to David for asking. It's fantastic to get real world airline parameters for our hobby. I'm going to try these on my next Emirates flights to/from Dubai.

On the recent incident at Dubai, I was interested in why Emirates would use a 777-300ER on such a short run from India (1800 miles). Wouldn't a 200 series or smaller jet be more efficient? It wasn't even a full flight only approx 280 passengers on board.  

Bernard Walford