Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

Are any of you aware of this?

Last summer I purchased an nVidia GTX 970 video card from Newegg.  Yesterday I got an e-mail from them telling me a settlement had been reached in a class action law suit regarding this video card.  Does anyone have any information or detals on this?

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Weirdos people will sue for anything these days - getting ridiculous  :mad:

• Upvote 1

Rich Sennett

Thanks for the link, Bert. Would be interesting how this $30 refund is dispersed.I bought mine end of December 2015.

It pertains to any GTX 9xx card where the advertised VRAM was not totally utilized. For example, if the card was advertised as having 4 GB VRAM, but in reality it only used 3.8. As with all class-action settlements, there will be a website explaining how to obtain your $30US refund (it might be a different amount in other countries). Usually this process consists of filling out a very short form and attaching a receipt verifying  proof of purchase.

How dare they expect to get what the seller claimed to be selling...

Reminds me of the Hyundai horsepower lawsuit, ooh, that 4% horsepower deficit is really going to be missed.

All seems a bit silly but the honesty stick does need to be brought out in order to prevent a slippery slope.

Thanks for the information Bert.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Richard, I have to disagree. Nothing is "weirdo" about this. Nvidia marketed this card as a 4gb card, and users later discovered that only 3.5gb of it was usable. That is false advertising and misleading marketing if I ever saw it and a class action lawsuit was appropriate to the consumers who were dishonestly led to purchase a card of different specification than what they bargained for. 

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

Reminds me of the Hyundai horsepower lawsuit, ooh, that 4% horsepower deficit is really going to be missed.

All seems a bit silly but the honesty stick does need to be brought out in order to prevent a slippery slope.

1+

Rich Sennett

Not all GTX 9xx cards have this VRAM issue. It's a small subset and owners will be notified either by email or snail mail.