Sign in to follow this  
conura

Is there a superior GPS?

Hi guys,

I was running through some GPS tutorials which follows the realityXP GPS from FSX and it seems to have quite a bit of functionality available that isn't in the default X-Plane one. Is there someone I can purchase a superior GPS?

Thanks

EDIT - Sorry, this was for xplane. I didnt notice the forum

Actually there have been a bunch of XP users that have collectively attempted to create a link to the Garmin GTN Trainer Lite app, but so far they have not succeeded:

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/59638-garmin-gtn-pc-trainer-lite-with-x-plane/

After 4 years of trying, it probably isn't going to happen.

Yes,  Its called Pilot2ATC,   Its the only Proper payware Gps available for X-plane

But that's not a GPS. It's an ATC software that also has a moving map. It's useful, but does not help you in learning how the GNS430 works.

This said, no, there's no GNS430-like GPS available for X-Plane (anymore. Many years ago, the RXP GPS worked in X-Plane 9), other than the default one.

• Upvote 1

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

I really wish that Flight1 would abandon their anti-XP philosophy:

What About X-Plane?

At this time, our G750 Simulator software only works with Prepar3D or Flight Simulator X.

Why? Because we’ve been developing software for Lockheed's and Microsoft's simulation platforms for years, and because we believe that Prepar3D and FSX are still the best platforms for most users. They are mature products with easy-to-use interfaces, and they work with a huge variety of additional products. You can choose from hundreds of scenery, weather, aircraft, and utility add-ons that will increase the realism of your sim even further.

Even at $150, I'd buy their stand-alone GTN 750 in a heartbeat.

• Upvote 1

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

But that's not a GPS. It's an ATC software that also has a moving map. It's useful, but does not help you in learning how the GNS430 works.

But it has a little Follow me line thats good enough for me  :smile:

Yes very true,  If the OP wants to learn about in VC GPS well the answer is no 

Even at $150, I'd buy their stand-alone GTN 750 in a heartbeat.

Sorry Jim for the stupid question but whats the difference between this and the 750 ?  Is it the accuracy of the Unit ? 

Sorry Jim for the stupid question but whats the difference between this and the 750 ? Is it the accuracy of the Unit ?

As opposed to the regular GTN units sold by Flight1 that integrate in FSX/P3D as a gauge, this one is actually a full stand-alone program that can even be run on a separate computer. Since we can't drag gauges to a second monitor in XP like we can in FSX/P3D, this thing would be absolutely heaven. I could even envision running it on a laptop with a touchscreen alongside XP.

But of course, since F1 doesn't want to develop it for XP, it's just a pipe dream. I'd say we should all petition them to do so, but I imagine I'm in a rather small-ish minority of users that would be willing to pay $150 for it.

An even bigger pipe dream would be to have this unit created for the iPad (or even Android, I'd buy a Android tablet just for it) with compatibility for FSX, P3D, and X-Plane!!

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I really wish that Flight1 would abandon their anti-XP philosophy:

It's probably a bit more complicated than that. My guess is that the developers of the FSX/P3D version of the GTN needed to get permission from Garmin's lawyers to develop and market the product. It's one thing if some developer says, hey I just made something that looks just like a "GNS 430". Garmin isn't going to send in the attack dogs about that. But if a developer takes advantage of Garmin software and uses the Garmin name, they better have permission.

It's probably a bit more complicated than that. My guess is that the developers of the FSX/P3D version of the GTN needed to get permission from Garmin's lawyers to develop and market the product. It's one thing if some developer says, hey I just made something that looks just like a "GNS 430". Garmin isn't going to send in the attack dogs about that. But if a developer takes advantage of Garmin software and uses the Garmin name, they better have permission.

Considering the depth of the Garmin equipment simulations that Flight1 has made as part of their serious (and expensive) training business, I'd guess that they have the means for getting the agreement in place with Garmin. My personal guess is that they feel it wouldn't be profitable enough to pay for development, and who knows, they may be correct with that.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Its largely dependent on the developing team and their willingness to learn new stuff.  You can also read "mature software" as code that isnt changing alot and i have an easy time maintaining it.  Oposed to learning a complete new system, getting good at it and maintaining a multiplattform environment.

Sure it can be brought down to profitabillity, if you calculate the time in to learn something new it will never break even ;)