Sign in to follow this  

Hello guys!

I am going to build a PC with a friend of mine and need some help with the parts I need to order.
What I was thinking about was getting myself a decent 900 pound PC (since that is my budget).

What I want to know is basically what sort of performance I may expect with the setup bellow with regards to FPS rates and graphics in both FSX:SE and P3D while using ORBX/general payware products. Furthermore, I was thinking about overclocking the i5 to ca 4 GHz, but have not done it before. What sort of components would I need and are there some good overclocking tutorials for that said processor. Do I even need to overclock it?

Cost: 969,67 pounds/1290,10 USD/1290,10 EUR

Intel Core i5-6600K - 4 threads/ 3,5GHz (3,9 Ghz Turbo) / 6MB / Socket 1151

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

ASUS GeForce GTX 970 STRIX 4GB DC II OC (STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5)

Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16 (CMK8GX4M2A2666C16)

WD Green 2TB / Samsung SSD 850 EVO SSD 250GB

ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming - ATX / Z170

Corsair PowerSupply (PSU) RM650x 650W

Fractal Design Define R5 - Black Pearl

All tips are welcome!

Kindest of regards,

Drago

Furthermore, I was thinking about overclocking the i5 to ca 4 GHz,

Your chosen CPU is 3.5 GHz and 3.9 turbo.

So in essence, you already have almost a 4 GHz CPU anyway, with turbo.

I recall those that opted for the Hyper 212 Evo are achieving something like 4.5 GHz max, so your sights could be set higher.

You can overclock in one of three ways.

1. Asus boards come equipped with a TPU 1 and TPU 2 switch on the motherboard. This applies a fixed overclock and a voltage that Asus research suggests will work for most people. This will add a bit more voltage than most need, as it has to accommodate those that didn't do so well in the silicone lottery. So watch your temps carefully if you use it. TPU 1 applies a gentle overclock and TPU 2 a bit more extreme.

2. Asus Five Way Optimization. Your Asus motherboard will come with this software, it's included in Ai Suite.This is a more sophisticated, system specific automatic overclock. It will take into consideration your cooling and all that makes up your unique system. It will overclock the same way you would if you were to manually overclock except it will do it all for you, including running stress tests.

3. Manually overclocking from within the UEFI. This is the most time consuming way to go about it, and the traditional method most enthusiasts favor. The link below, is for the 6700K but the principle is the same...

https://rog.asus.com/19262015/overclocking/guide-overclocking-core-i7-6700k-on-the-maximus-viii-extreme/

There are lots of other manual overclocking tutorials on the internet for you to investigate.

I run my i5 2500K at 4,2 GHz on an Asus P8Z68-V mobo  and it's always totally stable (well, at least after I upgraded my 500W PSU to a Corsair 850W...). I know nothing about overclocking so I simply use the Asus AI suite  Martin mentions to do it for me. For me it has always worked perfectly so I'm sticking to it also on my next build that I'm planning now!

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

What would you say regarding the FPS/Graphics playing FSX:SE and P3D? Can I set everything on High textures/graphics in P3D?

Even the most powerful systems have to dial something back, so don't expect performance like alien technology from Area 51.

It also depends on your own subjective opinion and specific needs. I would be throwing a wobbly if I didn't get 40 plus frames per second, you on the other hand may be happy with 25.

As what is acceptable is subjective, and I have no idea what you have currently,  all I'll say is that I would expect you to be pleased with such a system. Specific numbers and slider settings aren't possible to predict with so little info.

What would you say regarding the FPS/Graphics playing FSX:SE and P3D? Can I set everything on High textures/graphics in P3D?

I have a 6600k OC'd to 4.6ghz with a GTX970. I'm seeing 40-60 fps unlocked with vsync, all the detailed addons such as PMDG, Flightbeam, ASN, REX (but I normally lock externally to 30 and it never dips). My FSX settings are pretty much for IFR, I'll post them below. And about them; you can definitely turn some things up and not really notice any fps loss when it's locked at 30 externally, like traffic up to ~40%, maybe autogen or scenery complexity up a notch. possibly even more that I haven't tested. I just keep them here because it's perfectly smooth no matter what combination of addons I use for a flight, and I just don't want to switch them every time.

1_zpsm2t4xvli.jpg

2_zpsnxbsmazw.jpg

3_zpsrgwtq7am.jpg

4_zpsnpsm6nx1.jpg

5_zps3td333s2.jpg

Honestly all I care about when I fly is that cities look populated with buildings, the ground scenery looks clear enough to pick out streets and such, airports are 3rd party, and that it's all smooth

Jim Schroeder

i9 9900k @ 5.0ghz | Gigabyte GTX1080ti | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32gb 3600 

Thank you so much! That was really helpeful!