Sign in to follow this  
Thomasso

If I manage to master high-end add-on planes, would I be able to fly them in real world?

Unfortunately, you have those looking for shortcuts who really want to believe the marketing hype, "As real as it gets." Thus this question will continue to linger...

I dont think thats it, brother.

I think the scenario most of envision is pilot incapacitation and we need to step in when the stewards ask if anybody knows anything that could help.

spacer.png

Flight sim helped me with a general understanding of the instruments and procedures. My instructor told me I was the first student he had that had a tendency to watch instruments instead of looking outside the airplane. Not necessarily a good habit, especially while learning the basics. My experience on VATSIM helped me significantly with ATC communications. I'll be honest though, nothing prepares you for the sensory overload of actually flying. Landing the real thing turns out to be much more difficult than FS would have you believe. As you flare, the airplane begins to slow. This means less and less air is moving over the wings and tail requiring more and more control input. Couple that with crosswinds, ground effect, wake turbulence and landing becomes quite a challenge. It took me some time to get used to that. People who say being able to fly something like the PMDG 777 means you could fly the real thing are fooling themselves. If you would have asked me before my first lesson whether I could fly and land a 737 (from my thousands of hours of experience with the original PMDG 737) I would have said absolutely. However, judging by how much of a challenge a simple Skyhawk and Warrior were, I would say I was ignorant of my flying abilities.

• Upvote 2

Exactly Kylan. FS helps in understanding concepts... RW training, along w/seat time under various conditions, gives the student an understanding of the reality of a flight "envelope".

Those who know what I'm refering to will have undergone the above. Solo cross country will amplify that process greatly. :wink:

• Upvote 3

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

A little anecdote about my flying career. I have been flying FS for quite sometime (since the old Commodore 64). Always wanted to be a pilot. Finally got the opportunity in my 30's (about 2000ish). Had practiced with FS9 the startup for a Cessna 172 to perfection. Had it down. Did really good.

Reality set in on my long solo cross country. Here I was, 70 miles from home, visiting an airport I have never been too, on approach and making a landing alone in the aircraft. Reality sets in at that point. I cannot tell you the enormous feeling of accomplishment when I landed, turned around and headed for home. The approach was harrowing (weather was perfect, sun was just right, virtually no wind) because I kept saying (not thinking) all me, I stick it or cash it in. No instructor, no reset button. It was the most exhilarating thing I have ever done (except maybe that F3 race car in Dubai but that was different kind of exhilarating). The thing was all the pressure and it was just me and a plane that is smaller than my small car. I did later do some helicopter flying and got 7/8ths of the way through IFR training but I will never forget that flight.

So now you are talking about a huge, complex, 100,000 lb plus jet aircraft with 75-300 other souls on board and you think a little playing around on a desktop computer is going to prepare you for landing one? I may read about going to the moon but it is a little different actually going there.

Jim Atkins

I think the scenario most of envision is pilot incapacitation and we need to step in when the stewards ask if anybody knows anything that could help.

That statement is just sick. You get on an airliner and hope that something tragic happens to one of the crew so you can live some childish fantasy. 

You can rent time in a Level 6, C or D sim, why don't you try that before you wish harm to someone who is just trying to make a living.

That statement is just sick. You get on an airliner and hope that something tragic happens to one of the crew so you can live some childish fantasy. 

You can rent time in a Level 6, C or D sim, why don't you try that before you wish harm to someone who is just trying to make a living.

Maybe a bit hard. I don't see anything about wishing harm on anyone.

It's apparent from the many previous posts on the same topic that their are many simmers who believe that they could take control of a real aircraft in an emergency.

It also seems that the strongest beliefs are often held by those with little or no flying experience. I think the reality was summed up quite well in the post earlier today by magentajim. The stress factor cannot be simulated on a home computer.

Some years ago a medical trial monitored the heart rate of airline pilots at various stages of flight. All showed a measurable increase during the approach. In some cases this was dramatic.

The greatest increase was obviously in difficult conditions, but was still apparent even in clear calm conditions at familiar airfields. The conclusions were that the stress involved had previously been under estimated. 

John B

I am not sure how a flight crew becomes "incapacitated" with out at least some harm, even if temporary befalling the poor souls. The last major incident widely publicized the Captain died of a heart attack and a USAF B-1 pilot assisted the FO. 

I am sorry, but anyone wishing to be put in that situation has a sick disregard toward human life. 

I am not sure how a flight crew becomes "incapacitated" with out at least some harm, even if temporary befalling the poor souls. The last major incident widely publicized the Captain died of a heart attack and a USAF B-1 pilot assisted the FO.

I am sorry, but anyone wishing to be put in that situation has a sick disregard toward human life.

Yes, but nobody as far as I can see has suggested that they _wish_ to be in that situation.

Invariably when someone with no aviation experience hears about my simming, the first question they ask is 'so could you land the aeroplane if...' (to which my response is always 'don't count on it!') and I think that sentiment is all that's being reflected.

We all, I suspect, occasionally wonder how we would respond when faced with an emergency situation (of any description, aviation-related or otherwise). That's not the same as 'hoping' to find ourselves in that situation, or getting on an airliner and 'hoping' something befalls the crew.

I've had some basic first aid training. If you asked me whether I *could* save someone from choking, I would like to think that I could. But that's not the same as saying that I walk around *hoping* that someone collapses so that I can prove it (or not) -- indeed, quite the opposite.

• Upvote 3

I haven't read anyone making such a specious wish. All I've read are fantasy thoughts about "what if."

What I can say with absolute conviction is that if there was absolutely no one else remotely qualified, I'd darn sure give it my best shot! After all, at that point doing nothing at all will undoubtedly be fatal. I'd much rather die at least trying to do something instead of folding up with a whine and a whimper. :Praying:

The above would hold without any hesitation were I the only one in the aircraft and sitting in the right seat as a passenger! :dance:

• Upvote 2

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Bill, all of this simulated fantasy speculation aside, the outcome will likely be fatal whether a simmer has loads of "desktop experience" or none.

I do agree however, that "dying trying" is preferable to becoming a fearful blithering idiot. :P

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

I haven't read anyone making such a specious wish. All I've read are fantasy thoughts about "what if."

What I can say with absolute conviction is that if there was absolutely no one else remotely qualified, I'd darn sure give it my best shot! After all, at that point doing nothing at all will undoubtedly be fatal. I'd much rather die at least trying to do something instead of folding up with a whine and a whimper. :Praying:

The above would hold without any hesitation were I the only one in the aircraft and sitting in the right seat as a passenger! :dance:

When your fantasy includes two people being "incapacitated" so you have the chance to play hero, it kind of changes things from idle conversation to thoughts of a psychopath. 

to be honest. if you had to land a 738 or something else with autoland. then assuming you can do it on your pc with pmdg etc, yes you could do it yourself. easily. the buttons in the sim are the same as the buttons in the plane.

manual flying? well it would be harder.

When your fantasy includes two people being "incapacitated" so you have the chance to play hero, it kind of changes things from idle conversation to thoughts of a psychopath. 

Dude relax, no one is saying that. and there are plenty of other ways to be incap without being dead or seriously ill.

• Upvote 1

Dude relax, no one is saying that. and there are plenty of other ways to be incap without being dead or seriously ill.

Whatever you do.....Don't eat the fish!  It's always the FISH! :Skull:

• Upvote 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

to be honest. if you had to land a 738 or something else with autoland. then assuming you can do it on your pc with pmdg etc, yes you could do it yourself. easily. the buttons in the sim are the same as the buttons in the plane.

manual flying? well it would be harder.

Sorry. Like the others holding this view, you are dreaming. Do you have any real world flying experience to support your belief.

A real cockpit does not look or feel like a typical computer screen. You may be able to find things, given time, but you won't be clicking a mouse on a limited area.

Why assume you will be in a nice stable situation ready to use autoland. Will you be familiar with that particular route and it's associated procedures. What about terrain and safety heights.

On entering the cockpit, how long do you think it would take you, in real life, not fantasy land, to establish what is happening and where you are and what you need to do next. I can assure you it will take much longer than you might think.

As for manual flying, forget it.

John B